Master Spy Creeps Toward Steam On September 8

O and the clouds parted and so decended the great Master Spy [official site] – a little stealth-based precision platformer that’s drifting toward its Steam launch on September 8th.

The last time we mentioned Master Spy was about a year ago when the game was still gestating on Steam Greenlight. It’s the story of sneaking past guards and cameras and dogs, using an invisibility cloak for Max Evasion Power, all to a soundtrack of ’80s synth. Our Graham has compared it to Gunpoint and Snatcher, which I think gives you as good an idea of what to expect as you’re gonna get.

This is the work of Kris Truitt and John Coxworth, an indie duo who worked together previously on a Logan’s Run-like browser game called The Carousel. It’s wonderful – check it out here. You can also have a mess around with an early prototype for Master Spy in web browser form right here.

1. Mud says:

Looks nice if you live in the 80’s, looks like crap in 2015.

• Sulpher says:

No, it doesn’t look like crap. It successfully uses a particular aesthetic to build a theme that meshes beautifully with gameplay. Quite an accomplishment.

• Shadow says:

The aesthetic achievement is evident, and it does mesh well with the gameplay. It all looks antiquated indeed, which is more of a problem for gameplay than it is for graphics.

I’ve no issue with certain games looking 25 years old. However, they definitely lose me when they play like they’re 25 years old as well. Not part of the target niché, unfortunately.

• Kefren says:

It was acceptable in the 80s. And I got love for you if you were round in the 80s.

Actually, I think it looks and sounds lovely. My only problem is that it reminds me too much of games like Impossible Mission link to dosgamers.com, and Mission Elevator link to c64-wiki.com – loved them at the time, wouldn’t play now. (I should do a blog post about C64 games I loved some time soon! Shame for them to fade away.)

• RogerioFM says:

Looks like yet another generic pixelated game catering to the rose tinted glasses of nostalgic people. Having said that, I’m all about game play, if it’s good I’ll give it a try no matter how it looks.

• Kaeoschassis says:

No, it just looks pretty.

Lord, I’m sick of seeing that particular criticism. Styles aren’t obsoleted by newer tech, and even if it’s a style born of technical limitations, doesn’t mean it’s any less a style. (Even if it’s a style born of inaccurately mimicking a style born of technical limitations, for that matter)

• RogerioFM says:

YOU think it looks pretty, I don’t, know what looks pretty? Sword and Sworcery, this game, this is just a generic look with ok animations, nothing stellar. I don’t even have anything against pixel graphics, I’m just not amazed by them anymore, if the game plays well, that’s what matters in the end.

G-Lord says:

Looks tight, but tough as nails.

3. JFS says:

They even emulated CRT monitor curvature? :)

Looks somewhat like Stealth Bastard to me.

4. Relani says:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Pixel art can be okay…maybe…sometimes…when it’s done extremely well. But this looks (and feels) like of any number of clunky, cheap, disposable Nintendo platformers. Who even has nostalgia for this stuff?

• Relani says:

That was supposed to be a reply :/

• Kaeoschassis says:

Well I’ll tell you who doesn’t have nostalgia for it – me. I would have been… I dunno, two-ish when games looked anything like this. I still think this looks gorgeous.

5. epmode says:

I really dig a well-done pixel art aesthetic. But that CRT curve simulator thing is legitimately awful.

• Catweasel says:

Agreed, it’s incredibly distracting.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah, that I’m not so keen on. Not sure I see the appeal.

• TURBOGUN says:

Hi, dev of Master Spy here! Glad you are digging the art! The CRT curve can be turned off in the options, I definitely get that it’s not for everyone.

syllopsium says:

That’s good, because I still game on CRTs as well as TFTs, and they’re ‘modern’ flat high res tubes ;)

6. disperse says:

Reminds me of the original NES version of Ninja Gaiden, I used to play that game all the time. Maybe I’ll have to get a USB NES pad and see if the skills translate.

syllopsium says:

It’s as if someone watched Impossible Mission whilst on drugs, then decided to code.

Looks fun. Hope it’s not as stupidly difficult or repetitive as IM was.