Bright Lights, Big Cities: Skylines – After Dark

Somehow I ended up thinking Cities: Skylines – After Dark [official site] would be a scuzzy, sleazy, neon affair. I was expecting a rain-soaked trailer with buzzing lights advertising GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS or CHAPS CHAPS CHAPS or something and soundtracked by Electric 6. Maybe Devil Nights off Senor Smoke.

It isn’t. There are streetlights and windowlit office blocks and the soundtrack is perky and plinky plonky as it showcases the expansion’s new nightspots:

Publishers Paradox explain further:

“Towns will look – and behave – differently at night, and citizens will seek out new evening hotspots such as nightclubs, bars, and more. New city services will make sure that nighttime revelers get home safe in new in-game taxis, while those who get too irresponsible may find themselves in new in-game prisons.”

I have no idea how to feel about this turn of events (broadly good but deprived of sleaze, I guess) but I know I should probably stop calling it Cities: Skylines – Nites! now.

1. spindaden says:

I’m more disappointed by the lack of flying toasters myself.

• innokenti says:

Logged in just to comment and commend you on the reference.

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Fire in the disco!!

3. Gap Gen says:

Daft Souls mentioned that one interesting point about day-night cycles is that if your traffic layout is bad in the original it’s permanently screwed until you rip everything out, but with a night cycle it gives your city a chance to reset and for you to figure out what went wrong in the first place. Often it’s quite subtle things, like the time I figured out I could reduce rail congestion by having *fewer* cargo stations, or by removing roads that were cutting off flows elsewhere. It also makes me admire people who design traffic flows in real cities, because you don’t have the ability to plonk down flyovers instantly or redesign entire districts that were built before cars were invented.

Anyway, I’m still addicted to Cities after building about five cities, so looking forward to this.

• darkshadow42 says:

While I’ve not designed any road systems, my job is to produce computer models to test what the flows would be like. *plonking* down a flyover is kinda what we do, something like that could be coded in a day. However getting the base model to match up to the real world is a pretty mammoth task requiring data collection, calibration, validation, analysis and reporting. Even then it doesn’t quite work especially as people don’t act like sat navs, or if there is something you have missed satellite photography, maps, and street view. I’ve spent the last 8 months just trying to recalibrate a network and my boss has spent the last two years modelling one bypass!

Finally for an idea of what the models look like, the industry standard software is console based with a “graphical module” which is basically not been touched since the 80s link to saturnsoftware.co.uk while there is prettier software out there none of them are as good at modelling.

With this background I have to say Cities is pretty impressive.

4. Calculon says:

I havent played it for a while now. This game has far too many bugs and suffers from a number of ‘simulation’ based problems. I would like to see them cleanup a number of these issues before releasing DLC (Hello Freight-train-crashing-bug-for-a-good-chunk-of-your-user-base, hello Tourism-attractions-dont-actually-work etc etc etc.)

• hollowroom says:

It does have a few bugs, but for me at least, it’s still great fun.

5. Iajawl says:

Could be a nice little addition to a nice game. I do kind of worry about the whole Paradox mini DLC spam though.

Admiral666 says:

Paradox DLC is excellent. The prices are always worth it, they listen to their players, and there is always free content added to the base game with each expansion. It’s split up to allow you to choose what you want (ie. Cosmetic and music packs are separate from expansion itself).

An RPS article on their DLC would go a long way to dispelling fears that they’re just spamming DLC for money.

Admiral666 says:

Meant to be in reply to lajawl.

• Jools says:

Yep. I get into this with a couple of friends all the time. Paradox does DLC right, and it kills me to see people complain about one of the few non-scummy DLC models out there. This is why we can’t have nice things, etc.

7. Frye2k11 says:

Wonderful wonderful game but I stopped playing after I noticed vehicles teleporting into an unconnected isolated bit of my city where I experimented with a few new layouts. Lost all my will to keep tinkering when I noticed that. Such a shame. I hope it was a bug but I fear it was just a cheap trick to lessen the load on the cpu. Haven’t played since.

• drinniol says:

Really? -That’s- what stopped you playing? How do you manage to play anything, seeing as that is probably the most minor bug I can imagine? :P

• Frye2k11 says:

It’s about suspension of disbelief. When you turn a 360 in GTA 5 and all the traffic is different then that is fine, because it is not a core mechanic. When same thing happens in a traffic sim then everything becomes pointless. The game is perfectly deterministic in small cities as far as i know.

• James0 says:

I think what you are referring to is the way that vehicles teleport to their destination once they have been stuck in traffic for too long. They consider this a feature rather than a bug: it’s intended to mitigate the problem that there is no day-night cycle (yet) with rush hours and quiet periods, so traffic jams have no opportunity to die down after rush hour, and would instead spiral out of control if it weren’t for the teleportation mechanic.

Apparently during testing they would end up with jams sprawling across the city, with no way of knowing where they started. There are mods available that remove the feature though.

8. Marclev says:

For me it was having to spam services as the emergency vehicles, garbage trucks, and hearses always insisted on trying to attend to issues at the other side of the map, meaning that everything eventually piled up as they spent more time navigating the road system than actually dealing with problems.

Teleporting was quite rare I seem to remember. Mostly it does behave in that sense.

• Marclev says:

This was meant to be a reply to the message above complaining about teleporting vehicles, not just a random out of context rant!