Rocket Jumps And Grappling Hooks In LawBreakers Vid

I lost interest during the announcement of Cliff Bleszinski’s new shooter LawBreakers [official site] when the former Epic chap’s livestreamed reveal-o-rama went into guff about criminals and cops and law-breaking and the future and the moon and… oh, I didn’t care. I closed the stream.

However! Watching its ‘gameplay reveal’ trailer, I discover that the arena FPS has gnarly-looking energy grappling hooks to whip you around levels, rocket jumping, and some other swish gadgets. Aye, I’ll keep an eye on this game all right. Watch this:

So, to quickly recap, it’s a class-based FPS where different characters have different weapons and abilities. I’m big into Kitsune, the Assassin with electroswords, an energy shotgun, and a zappy grappling hook that can swing her around levels or latch onto enemies to pull her into stabbing range. She seems splendid. Do other classes’ powers even matter when grappling hooks are on offer? Probably not! It looks like one guy can fire a gun behind himself while still running forwards, which isn’t nearly as cool.

The free-to-play FPS formerly known as Project BlueStreak is due to launch in 2016, published by F2P folks Nexon. I wonder how aggressively they’ll monetise it; Nexon can be a bit gross at times.

1. Jackablade says:

Looks like it might be a leaner, tighter variant of Overwatch. This has meets my approval.

• kevinspell says:

For now, imo, it looks better than Overwatch. Then again, we haven’t seen much of this.

I just hope they “fix” the FOV they used in this video, give us smaller weapon models or ability to hide them and keep Nexon’s greedy fingers out of the game.

2. Freud says:

CliffyB is a good designer when he doesn’t get lost in dudebro cliches.

3. Spider Jerusalem says:

Nexon makes it hard to care.

• PseudoKnight says:

Yes, if this was all that was in the game, I would be interested. I’m just scared to look at the in-game menu.

4. NetharSpinos says:

The only thing that puts me off is those cringeworthy names.

5. GWOP says:

I’m getting some Dishonored vibes from Kitsune.

6. EhexT says:

“I wonder how aggressively they’ll monetise it; Nexon can be a bit gross at times.”

Nexon are awful and constantly hard region lock their games, among other crimes against games (such as month long gaps in content between regions). Their involvement means this will never be interesting, no matter the quality or lack thereof.

• Kitsunin says:

They’ve done a good job remaining hands-off when publishing games in the past, for example Dirty Bomb has rather fair monetization and a server browser through which you can play comfortably from all over the world. So Nexon being involved doesn’t necessarily mean the game’s gonna get the good ol’ Nexon bullshit treatment.

• Sulpher says:

Agreed. Dirty Bomb has diet monetization, which is chiefly aesthetic. The developers are to thank for that.

7. MrNash says:

Not a fan of Nexon, but still curious to see how this game goes. Was a huge fan of the Unreal Tournament games so if this and stuff like Overwatch can help bring those back, I’ll be quite happy. =)

8. Dunbine says:

I will definitely suck at this game.

9. kael13 says:

I’ll be honest, this has me more excited with its UE4 aesthetic than Overwatch and I’ve actually played that.

10. skyturnedred says:

I dunno. I’m starting to dislike cartoony games. And this game (already forgot the name) doesn’t look *that* cartoony, but something about it screams that someone forgot to turn the cel-shading on.

Or maybe it’s just me, is this where we are with graphics?

• PseudoKnight says:

It doesn’t look cartoony at all. Nada. I think you’re just associating with other games that have cel shading, because this is one of the least cartoony-looking games of this type in the last year. What a weird judgement, though. Stylistic art is far better than realistic art.

11. Hater says:

Ugh. No thanks. The 90’s called, they want their game back. I’m inclined to let them have it.

• PseudoKnight says:

This is drenched in modern shooting trappings. I’m guessing it’s the low gravity and sci-fi weapons that reminds you of Quake/UT?

• Razumen says:

Dude, it has grappling hooks, jetpacks and miniguns, do you just dislike fun?

• Geebs says:

Kids these days don’t even know what a rocket jump is :-(

12. Spacewalk says:

How can you have a game about breaking the law and not have a mission where you rob a bank with your guitar.

13. Mr_Blastman says:

This looks fantastic.

14. Jambe says:

That narration was terribly funny; funny in a so-bad-it’s-laughable sort of way.

Looks like it might be fun to play, though. Wee, grappletime!