Cuddly Game Of Thrones: Armello Released

RABBIT NOOO!

“Game of Thrones of Farthing Wood,” Marsh called Armello [official site], for its woodland friends and – oh no! – devious and violent scheming as our cutesy chums vie for control of the throne. He played the Early Access version back in January and thought it had promise. Well, we’ll see how the extra seven months of development have worked out for it, as Armello last night left Early Access and properly launched.

You can now pick your hero and make a move on the throne board-a-card-o-RPG-y turn-based strategy game. But remember: when you play the game of thrones of Farthing Wood, you either live or get savaged by a blue fox. Something like that. I know a lot more about Animals of Farthing Wood than I do Game of Thrones, to be honest. GoT is the one where everyone has a cool undercut, right?

Armello sees up to four players competing for the throne as the king slowly dies. You travel around a world map, questing, securing land, raising funds, gaining equipment, and trying to ruin others’ plans. Marsh explains far more about it than I will, so go read his preview and you’ll get the gist.

Developed by League of Geeks, Armello is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It’s £14.99 on Steam or a Humble widget on its site will give you a Steam key for $19.99 (£13-ish). Here’s the launch trailer:

1. Vesperan says:

The last episodes of Three Moves Ahead covered (a near final) Armello, albeit only from the single player perspective.

It sounds good but not great, and I can’t see myself buying it – the sort of thing I would play a few times then put on the shelf. But it sure looks pretty.

2. Kefren says:

It certainly looks and sounds beautiful.

3. Elliot Lannigan says:

I can’t tell if this is an actual Redwall game or if it just operates exactly like one.

• Vacuity729 says:

There’s not enough candied chestnuts to be a Redwall game, and no dibbuns either, by the looks of it.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

Distinct lack of cherry cordial.

• SingularityParadigm says:

Needs a trencher of deeper’n’ever turnip’n’tater’n’beetroot pie.

4. damien says:

been playing this for months. don’t let the art-style / cute-animal-ness mislead you.

the GoT comparison is apt. between the MAD king on his throne and your competitors, the game is built from the ground up with brutality, brutal power grabs and betrayal in mind.

(one of the game’s strongest suits is how quickly power-roles can reverse. what is a comfortable lead can turn into destitution, the destruction of your built up attributes, revenue sources and inventory – all in a cleverly played series of card plays and gambits by your opponents.)

the AI is sufficiently brutal but the game’s cruelty really shines playing with friends you care about enough to enjoy hurting.

5. trjp says:

I believe it’s about half the Steam Price on Nuuvem (40rl is £8ish?) and there’s no sign of a region lock for South America (there IS a RU/CIS package but that wouldn’t work for Nuuvem’s home customers either!)

I’ve not tried it tho so buyer beware…

6. Vacuity729 says:

I don’t know about others, but I’d certainly appreciate a WIT on this one. There’s a lot about the premise (and style) that’s appealing, and Marsh’s appraisal left me intrigued, but unsure.

• Frank says:

Yeah, likewise. I’d like to hear if the CCG aspects ruin what otherwise sounds like a great game.

• trashmyego says:

What CCG aspects? There is no collecting of cards. Everyone draws from the same decks.

7. klops says:

Good, simple board game that uses computer like computer-based board games should. Dice gets calculated automatically, bonuses are counted automatically, changing dice are counted automatically.

In addition to GoT-novel resemblances, it very much reminds me of Game of Thrones board game. Everyone is against everyone with some alliances forming as well (to give room for backstabbings), player with the highest prestige rank gets a notable bonus as king’s advisor.

It’s not a single player game. Too easy and simple (in a good, board game way simple) for that. Most importantly there is little joy in being a bastard to a computer player.

The games are pretty long, around 90 mins to 120 mins, which is why random Steam games don’t appeal to me. Even in Chaos Reborn the AFK and waiting was bothersome for me. In this game even so, since the turns are usually longer and you often won’t even see what’s happening. That’s why I’d need a group of friends for this. But I’d rather play a physical board game or a faster computer game.

Technicalities: For some reason the game wants you to be zoomed very close to the map. If you zoom out, fog or clouds or whatever makes the screen misty and ugly. This I didn’t understand – perhaps it is made to “hide” the small size of the board. The small board size is in no way a bad thing, btw. Also to my surprise moving your view on the map was _very_ clumsy – with both mouse and keyboard.

8. Hobbes says:

Wait three months, then buy once the Bandits are out. You’ll then be level with the KS backers on this one. That’s my standing advice.

9. Joshua Northey says:

I hate hate hate hate this twee aesthetic. Given that is there enough game here to bother with despite that?