Killing Floor 2 Update Blasts Into Paris Catacombs

Yeah okay, maybe I'll pay 'em a visit.

Two hundred miles of damp tunnels filled with skulls, bones, and secret cinemas sounds like a place you’d find me gaily rolling around clutching a bottle-sized glass of wine. And yet, whenever I’ve been in Paris, I’ve not visited its Catacombs. I know why: Deus Ex – its virtual Catacombs are such a chore that they’ve put me off the real deal. Maybe Killing Floor 2 [official site] can help me overcome that.

The monster-blasting FPS’s latest Early Access update added two new maps, including one set in the Catacombs, along with two new classes, the Firebug and Demolitions. Also, that new gore tech they’ve been showing off.

The Incinerate ‘N Detonate Update brings two new maps – Evacuation Point and Catacombs – along with those two new perk classes. The Firebug incinerates while Demolitions detonates, obvs. That second class especially works with the new Nvidia PhysX Flex tech, a physics system which unifies liquids, floppy things, and hard bits to create complex – and gruesome – interactions. Basically, blood and guts and vomit will slop all over the place if your graphics card supports it (a GeForce 770 or better Nvidia card – sorry AMD folks).

The update also brings new weapons and bonus playable crossover characters for folks who own Red Orchestra 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Yes, you can be a knight chopping up zombies with a Zweihänder. Here, this vid shows a lot of what’s new:

As ever: bear in mind that all Early Access games might never be finished, or turn into something you dislike. Tripwire are pretty reliable, though, for those still calculating the odds – Killing Floor has been updated with new bits for years. They plan (or had planned) to release KF2 properly by the end of this year. At the moment, it’s £20 on Steam Early Access.

1. oWn4g3 says:

If Tripwire could guarantee that copies bought in Germany won’t be cut after the end of Eary Access I would already be all over this game. Introducing more advanced gore systems does not make me too optimistic that I will be ale to play uncut though :D

• Xzi says:

I don’t think they can guarantee that because I’m pretty sure it’s ultimately not their decision. Which sucks because KF2 is a great game. And I feel bad for you son, but I got 99 problems and government censorship of video games ain’t one.

2. salejemaster says:

Also, I’ve heard its gonna be free for the weekend this weekend on Steam!

3. Kitsunin says:

The end of the year seems incredibly optimistic at this rate with four perks to go, so I bet they’re gonna change that. It took five months for these two.

4. YogSo says:

A bit off-topic, but thanks for that link to the article about the parisienne catacombs, Alice. A really interesting read.

• Gap Gen says:

Protip for anyone wanting to visit: the queues are often huge so it’s worth checking what’s the best time to avoid a long wait. I remember a friend saying early evening was good for them? Failing that, there are people who know secret entrances but this is fairly strongly discouraged by the Paris police as there are large parts that are unlit / underwater.

• that_guy_strife says:

I don’t see the point of your italics. Also, parisiennes.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

And I don’t see proper French hospitality in your tone, monsieur!

• that_guy_strife says:

That’s because I’m not French, and I’ll thank you not to refer to me as such.

Don’t take offense – it’s just a known thing around here that Frenchies are typically assholes. And a lot of French people I know are first to say that my countrymen and women are nicer and a higher degree of warm. ”Les Français qui viennent ici sont écoeurés des Français.”

5. Crusoe says:

Important note: Killing Floor 2 is free to download and play on Steam all weekend, and 33% off for the whole weekend, too.

6. CelticPixel says:

Had a quick go in the Catacombs as the Firebug during lunch and it was bloody glorious.

7. DarkFenix says:

If the firebug is anything like it was in KF1 it’ll be the worst class again. Or in other words it’s the “get your team wiped because the sharpshooter can’t see shit through the flames you’re spraying everywhere”.

• EhexT says:

Microwave gun laughs at your KF1 preconceptions. Fire Dot without the visuals, and it just so happens fire is the one thing neither Hans nor the Scrake are resistant to (they both have incredibly high explosive resistance) so the Firebug has a definite role to fill.

• commentingaccount says:

Err, not quite. Microwave damage is its own category, though it does cause a short DOT effect.

Also, while Hans and Skrakes have explosive resistance, Demo fucking sucks right now and will likely be subject to extremely heavy buffing and alteration.

Aside from mass killing groups of weaker Zeds with the RPG-7 and the usual C4/Pipebomb shenanegans(Though with overall 1/5th the effectiveness compared to the first game), best to not use Demo at all.

link to docs.google.com

Best summary of weapon and Zed stats right now.

• 2fangs says:

Lol true dat. As a veteran sharpshooter in KF (LAR pride!) I have to say that the firebug is KF1’s most annoying perk when it comes to visual pollution. To add insult to injury the hitboxes are completely off when the zeds are playing the “on fire” animation. We just ended up outright forbidding the firebug (and berserker) in our server.

8. Darth Gangrel says:

I never thought the Paris catacombs in Deus Ex 1 were a chore. The Paris part of the game was very fun overall.

The Hollywood sewer level in VtM: Bloodlines, now that’s a chore (but luckily the latest unofficial patch includes a short-cut).

9. Dimni says:

Pretty sure that Catacombs are located in “Italian city”, not Paris.
    Proof: link to media.tripwirecdn.com