Bif! Bam! Pow! Team Fortress 2 Comic Issue #5 Out

I haven’t played Team Fortress 2 [official site] in almost a year, Steam tells me, but by gum! I haven’t stopped caring about the goofy world have created for their free-to-play FPS. Valve have some of the funniest fun in games, and I don’t especially mind if the yaks come through webcomics rather than computer games.

While we were on holiday on Monday, Valve released the fifth issue of their free TF comic, a mere eleven months after the last. In case you can’t remember, the TF2 gang’s quest for Australium metal had taken to the undersea dome where Sniper’s parents lived in some odd Superman pastiche, when the squad ran into their counterparts from Team Fortress Classic. And… action!

I don’t have much else to say about that, other than “It’s nice, isn’t it?” So. Uh. I should end this post before I say something unkind about video game novelisations and end up insulting people who read video game novelisations and I’m sure they’re nice people but seriously what is up with that do you not know you can read proper books t- see, there I go. Stop this post now.

1. Kollega says:

Huh. Compared to the previous issues, this comic is surprisingly not-awful. Maybe because it feels like actual spy fiction, even if it’s still on the wrong side of crazy. But… eh. It still feels incongrous and disjointed, so I can’t really give it two thumbs up.

• Canazza says:

I would but my hand is a little limp

• Asurmen says:

There’s a wrong side of crazy?

• Kollega says:

When your original crazy had limits and guidelines that made it actually clever, sure there is.

• Asurmen says:

It did? The comics have always been that way.

• Kollega says:

But the game wasn’t. The whole “Australian supermen” nonsense was only introduced with the Engineer update, and before that (from 2007 to 2009 or so), TF2 was actually a very artistically focused spy fiction parody (proof). Now though… not in the slightest.

• Asurmen says:

What the game is like is irrelevant. We’re talking about the comics here.

• Kollega says:

But the comics are inseparable from the game. They are literally the game’s “story mode”, taking the game’s long-established setting and characters and turning them into something a lot stupider than the minimalist elegance of the original design.

2. fuggles says:

Whilst these are great, there is a bit of me that rankles when they describe how tf2 started with no story and became their most labyrinthine story.

You guessed it – half life fan. If you cannot make a decent half life 3 then how about a comic? I would like closure before I die!

3. Turkey says:

Biff! Bam! Pow! Hats are not just for children anymore.