Batman: Arkham Knight’s New Batperformance Batpatch

The thing about Batman, people have repeatedly told me in pubs, is that he can overcome any situation and anyone because he plans for everything. Confirming that Warner Bros. are not run by an billionaire who gets his jollies wearing a wacky costume to beat up poor people, the launch of Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] was such a shambles WB pulled the game from sale, and their recovery plan has gone awry too.

After a delay, and a too-early launch-then-unlaunch this week, one of the planned performance-boosting patches is properly out. The game’s still not back on sale.

WB say the main improvements in this week’s patch are:

“Reduced frame rate hitches
Optimizations for system memory and VRAM usage
Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
More Comprehensive In-Game Settings
Fixed low resolution texture bugs
Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)”

They also detail a few other things they’re working on, including support for SLI and Crossfire graphics hardware and the game’s delayed DLC.

They haven’t said when the next patch – or the final patch – will arrive. Arkham Knight is listed on Steam as launching this autumn, which is either already here or starting in a few weeks, depending on how you like to mark the seasons. I’m all about astronomical seasons, me, and I get to write the words here so I declare it’s still summer.

1. Runty McTall says:

The weather would appear to disagree with you…

2. geldonyetich says:

I pre-ordered this one, excited to see what Rocksteady pulled off. Now, I’ve been avoiding it for fear of ruining the experience for myself with a sub par release. Somebody let me know when it’s “done.”

• fish99 says:

On my 970, I’m still getting a few hitches and FPS drops, but only when driving the batmobile. I’d say it’s 80% fixed.

• Xzi says:

Sounds like it’ll be plenty playable enough for me, then. Also on a 970.

DuncUK says:

On my 970, I got perfect performance with the release day version. If you still own it I would at least try it on your rig before deciding to continue, I finished this over a month ago and enjoyed it immensely. I guess I’m lucky, but judging from what I’ve read elsewhere I’m not the only one by a long way.

• Asurmen says:

And based on what I’ve read elsewhere, you are one of the few by a long way :P

• whitebrice says:

It ran very well on my 970, too. The only issue I had was that enabling two of the Gameworks options would cause a memory leak that crashed the game after 20 or so minutes. After disabling those, the game ran fine.

• SuicideKing says:

They probably need to put out a demo or standalone benchmark along with the re-release.

• montorsi says:

This is the ‘interim’ patch. The final patch will be later this year when, presumably, the game goes back in the shop for sale.

• geldonyetich says:

I suppose this will be my target date, then.

Although perhaps I’m being a bit overly flighty considering I’ve, not one, but two GTX 970s in my PC right now. Dang it, just give me one good Rocksteady-made Batman game after Arkham Asylum.

3. SuicideKing says:

We don’t even have autumn. Monsoon’s been a bit of a faliure this time and it’s 36*C during the day. Delhi weather best weather.

Watcha’ gonna do, BatBoy?

4. IcyBee says:

On my GTX 670 system it was perfectly playable from release with only the occasional slowdown (usually when getting into the tank).
    With the new patch it slows down all the time.

• Arkayjiya says:

Well they fixed all the issues, including the game working on graphical card on which it should not be working! You should be grateful. No but seriously, I hope that the re-release of the game will clear that problem for you.

steves says:

Bought a 980Ti for Witcher 3, waited for that to get all patched up, was not disappointed.

GFX card came with a free code for Arkham Kernihggit. I’m in no rush…

6. Brza says:

Everyone, I suppose, has to learn the dangers and heartaches of pre-ordering the hard way. This is mine.

• malkav11 says:

The thing is, in another patch or two, you’ll have what is by all reports a pretty snazzy game. My preorder cautionary tale was Master of Orion 3. :(

• keithzg says:

My preorder cautionary tale was Master of Orion 3. :(

…oh, ouch.

• stkaye says:

My preorder precautionary was Total War: Rome 2. Holy crap that game stunk on day one. And even now it’s not as good or interesting as the original Rome: Total War.

• Cuddlefish says:

Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter

Phasma Felis says:

My only AAA preorder to date was XCOM. :(

…Oh, wait, XCOM was actually awesome at launch. Think I’ll go play it again! Sorry about your Bat-thingy.

• JoeDreddfort says:

Unless you didn’t pay full price. I got it for around $25 on G2A (and it’s even cheaper there now).

7. Iajawl says:

There is a very long comment thread on steam regarding the patch. Seems to help some people and not help a great deal more. I still can’t get my head around everyone being so excited for this game myself. Gotta love the drama as an observer though. Sorry to everyone that got burnt though.