Have You Played… Hitman: Sniper Challenge?

If you, like me, bought Hitman: Absolution for a couple of quid on sale because you were curious, you too might have missed the second game it comes with. All Hitman games are puzzle games at heart, if you play them with any degree of finesse, and Absolution’s promo minigame Hitman: Sniper Challenge amps that up as a high-scoring sandbox point ‘n’ click adventure game where your cursor is a crosshair. It’s a fair bit of fun for a freebie.

Sniper Challenge perches 47 on a rooftop with a sniper rifle across from the penthouse apartment of his murdertarget, who is throwing a big party. Your objective is to shoot him in the face, which you can do by putting the crosshair over his face then firing. It’s easy enough, but won’t earn you many points. Taking out certain extra targets, discovering strange things, and killing people stealthily or in creative ways will earn you extra points, which you can spend on upgrades to be more lethal the next time.

Like any classic adventure game, there’s a lot of fun in looking around and clicking/shooting random objects. Odd objects and people are hidden around the map, and you can discover some fancy murdertechniques.

It’s short and easily exhausted, but is worth a punt as something you may have kicking around your Steam library anyway. Square Enix have expanded on the idea with Hitman: Sniper [official site] for pocket telephones; I wonder if they’ll bring that to PC like they have Hitman: Go.

1. Wowbagger says:

Yes I loved this minigame and it got me really excited for the main game, a massive shame that it turned out to be better than 90% of the content in absolution. :(

• DarkFenix says:

This. I made the mistake of preordering Absolution (I went through a retarded phase when I did quite a lot of preordering), Sniper Challenge was frankly the best of it.

• Chirez says:

Yep. I had quite high hopes for Absolution on the strength of many happy hours of sniping. When it finally showed up, I played a few levels and abandoned it in disgust.

2. AyeBraine says:

I’m sorry. This is completely pointless, because people have been playing Hitmen for decades. (Although I, too, live in the 1st one for half a year.)

But I love Absolution so much. Its campy, but believable everything (I mean, nothing of this is less plausible that an international super-assassin – just more “fabulous” and stylish). Loved its pacing, with sleek interludes and one-direction feeling of narrative (I guess that’s one of the things that Hitman fans hate). I love it for reasons that are not Hitman-y.

It was way cool.

• jonahcutter says:

Absolution isn’t a bad game in itself. It’s a decent stealth-action, game. But except for a few spots, it’s terrible at being a Hitman game. In everything from gameplay to tone, it’s one wrong step after another.

• jonahcutter says:

Oh, and Sniper Challenge is a great little thing that does get Hitman right.

3. Danda says:

I love this game. It’s short and cool, and you get power-ups for Hitman Absolution.

4. Heliocentric says:

I’ve been advocating this for years, so few people that own it ever tried it. It’s a beautiful sweet orchid that managed to grow off a stinking cheese fruit plant.

5. piedpiper says:

It’s good fun for an hour. So it has one hour more fun than Absolution.

ErraticGamer says:

I have Absolution, but I don’t appear to have this? Can it be acquired separately?

7. Wetcoaster says:

It looks fun, but I don’t have the data limits available to download 25 GB just for an enticing mini-game