Now Hear This: Star Citizen FPS Dev Vid Goes Bang

Following a game’s development for funsies is a funny thing I still don’t fully understand, even after decades of doing it myself. I understand a bit more in These Here Modern Times when we sometimes pay for games before they’re finished – barely even started, sometimes – but still, sometimes I squint at new evidence of the existence of a game no one ever said wouldn’t exist and wonder “Why would I care?” Star Citizen [official site] may be a great game for this gamespotting, as it is seemingly trying to be every single type of game. Observe, a new video proving that its FPS side will indeed have sounds:

That comes from the latest dev update on Star Marine. They still don’t say when the module will launch into Star Citizen – it was delayed, meaning the first bits of its social side launched first – but do say stuff about merges and code reviews and summits and, of course, sounds.

I’m still doubtful that Star Citizen will come together, given how many moving parts it has. I don’t relish cynicism, but I don’t want dear, sweet, innocent, trusting folks to get jolly excited then cruelly crushed if it does turn out wonky. Statistically, most FPSs, space-dogfighting games, trading games, and MMOs are a bit bum – most developers are unable to do even one really well, let alone them all at once. Yes, developers Cloud Imperium Games raised squillions of dollars, but money isn’t a magic cure-all for game design. I would like to be proved wrong on this – what kind of a monster cheers for games turning out badly? – but, ah, I can’t get into all the excitement. Still, the excitement is enjoyable enough for some, so fair play to ’em. Just… think twice before blowing your sweetie money on virtual spaceships you can’t even fly yet, won’t you? For your old pal Alice?

1. Synesthesia says:

This is going to be such a disaster.

• Chalky says:

Yeah – as a minimum this is going to be the greatest cautionary tale about scope creep.

You never know, we might get a half decent game at the end of it though. There’s no way they’ll meet all their promises or make it worth it for the people who have literally paid over $10,000 for some ships (I’m not kidding, that’s really what some individuals have paid) – but for those of us looking for video game about space… you never know it might not suck.

• vence333 says:

Like the majority of people I spent 25 $, stop pretending that you know what make a game successful or not, or if you really do know sell that secret for millions, I’m sure a lot of people are willing to buy.

• Chalky says:

But I’m not saying it won’t be successful – in fact I’m saying the opposite, that we might get a decent game at the end of this. Unlike the guy I was responding to.

I guess maybe you’re responding to the bit where I said it won’t be worth $10,000 and that’s your bar for “success” for this game. If that’s the case then man… have I got some bad news for you.

• Phier says:

My guess is most of those guys who paid that sort of money are rich and old like me, and played the original elite. That doesn’t worry me, if you have 10k to blow on a kickstarter, thats your business.

What is sad though is I know not so rich not so old geeks who really want this to be a thing who did give upwards of $200. I think they may be more disappointed than the 10k crowd.

Now if you were poor and gave 10k, well that explains why you are poor in the first place. Very bad decisions.

• ludde says:

Yes, poor people are dumb like that.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

“Hi I am Nigerian Prince science fiction games developer…”

• d70cw says:

the majority of people payed $25?
          you really are deluded, i’m pretty sure the majority of people paid nil.

• SanguineAngel says:

Whilst I think it may be crazy behaviour, those people have paid $10,000 or more towards the development of the game, not for digital spaceships. Although the lure of their shame fleet may be strong, I think it’s more understandable when you consider these people with such money to burn are ploughing it into a dream project rather than digital booty that is of debatable real value.

And yeah, if the game does indeed not suck, you will have those crazies partly to thank :)

• Maxheadroom says:

I got caught up in the early hype and bought into it for..more than id like to admit.

I’ve mentally written it off but still open to being presently surprised.

What ive seen so far though doesn’t make me optimistic.

• buzzmong says:

Genuinely interested to know which specific features you’re claiming are part of some feature creep. Pretty much all the big stuff was described pre and during the Kickstarter.

We were always going to get some FPS/Ship flying hybrid, as boarding actions were planned from the get-go.

• BobbyDylan says:

Lol. You see such comments on every Star Citizen article, only for it to be “corrected” by the avid fans on of the game. I’m gonna come back and read this again tomorrow….

• Synesthesia says:

shh you’ll scare the fish away

• subedii says:

You know, it’s fine to speak your mind on thjings. But when you feel compelled to add “lolls I’m trolling”?

Yeah, you basically become this person:

link to i.imgur.com

Please stop being this person.

• Synesthesia says:

Ha! Yeah, it wasnt really called for. Sorry for that.

I honestly believe this will be a trainwreck, though. Way, way too ambitious. Like alice put it above, money is not a cure all for game design.

• DarkLiberator says:

Every comment seems like they’re declaring the game is failing or the game is going to be amazing.

Seems like every has mastered reading the future judging from one video!

2. Logeres says:

The name of the developer is Cloud Imperium Games, not Robert Space Industries.

• SanguineAngel says:

I absolutely just made this mistake below and am unable to edit! Curses!

• Logeres says:

To be fair, I don’t think there’s a online publication that hasn’t made this error at least once. Don’t worry about it.

• ironman Tetsuo says:

Watch the video, first logo is RSI then it’s straight to Star Citizen…
      I don’t think Cloud Imperium even know they’re working on the game by the looks of things!

• metric day says:

Well maybe they shouldn’t make RSI their website and source of all information on the game if they don’t want people to call it RSI.

• Cinek says:

^ This. Their corporate identity is one huge mess. They really should throw the “RSI” thing into the bin and use either CIG or SC.

• BobbyDylan says:

So is the games’ identification, and their flight model. So I guess being a mess is their thing.

3. piercehead says:

I’m confident that enough of it will be enjoyable enough to warrant the price of admission (I’ve spent about £40). If even Squadron 42 (the single player bit) is decent that’ll do it for me. The fact that it’s got all the other bits (PTU, space sim etc) is just a bonus.

• Greg Wild says:

Yeah, I got the most basic package too. If they deliver on it I’ll be happy. But my expectations are appropriately low/won’t lose too much sleep if they struggle to get there with it and the £40 feels wasted.

• Zantium says:

The outcome will be interesting if nothing else. I backed it right at the start and have given a little more money since but stopped when feature creep started to really set in. It looks like a slow motion what not to do in game development but if they pull it off, they will of course be vindicated.

I really think they should have locked down the feature set a long time ago and aimed for something they can actually deliver in a reasonable time. They can add, improve and expand later once over the starting line.

Next to what the much smaller Frontier Team have actually delivered in the same timeframe with E:D progress is slightly disappointing. We’ll see though, I still hope they both do well for the sake of the genre.

• darioampuy says:

idk if we should put E:D in the same level as star citizen. they are pretty different monsters
        E:D is based on a propietary custom made engine that frontier team developed specifically for their game, PRIOR to the game itself, star citizen used cryengine 3, an engine that is very nice ONCE you tear up apart and reassemble to make it fot your purposes… they had to remade half the engine just to make it work, the fps module is halted because it (double presicion for eve size star systems, hierarchy physics for the ships and stations, 1st and 3rd view using the same squeleton animations, something only arma games does, etc)

the pledgers of SC will have all the modules including the sp game squadron 42 that is bassically 2 games in one. the pledgers of E:D only got the online space simulator, the devs promised private servers in the KS campaign, it won’t happen, the planetside part that adds more gameplay similar to fps module in SC is sold as a DLC for a prize the same as the game, and like that all the other parts that would make E:D look like SC will be sold as DLC (multicrew, social lobby…)

• brievolz84 says:

Also, don’t forget that in Elite you will never be able to get out of your ship and traverse space stations. They nixed that. The planet side stuff is you pretty much roving around in a Mako-esque rover looking for minerals. When it releases it will only be small rocky planets.

• tomimt says:

No, they have’t really nixed the getting out of the ship part. It is still said to be a part of some future update, but that has never been an important aspect to them, so they aren’t pushing it. At some point though they will make it, considering their own 10-year plan for the game.

• bp_968 says:

So what your saying is the ED crew created a new game engine from scratch, made a game with it and released it, all with vastly less money and time than the SC folks have had? Honestly, I hope they pull it off, the ideas are pretty awesome. I guess we will see in 3-4 years.

• Zantium says:

Nearly, Frontier already had their own engine tech from other games. Knowing one day they’d want to remake Elite they always kept this in mind when developing it.

They are different games, but with similar functional requirements. Frontier have clearly been very focused on delivering what’s achievable within a time and budget. When both kickstarters were running I really doubted Frontier’s ability to deliver but backed it anyway because I wanted it to happen. If you look at what they managed with a small team and comparatively tiny budget it’s quite astonishing. The problem is (I believe), that Cloud Imperium have burned through a lot of that money already and if it takes 3-4 years, as it might, that needs backers to keep throwing money at them all the time to finish. Some people have heavily invested already for “a computer game” but how long can that be kept up? The approach just seems very risky, all or nothing. I’m hoping for all as a backer, albeit a small one compared to what others have put in.

4. Greg Wild says:

I am curious as to why people keep giving them money even though they’re clearly struggling to bring it all together.

Derek Smart might have got a bit too hot-under-the-collar about everything, but I do think he’s raised some interesting points about the viability of SC.

• Baines says:

Correct me if I’m wrong (serious request), but wasn’t Derek Smart’s POV reliant on “I wasn’t able to do it, so…”?

Which becomes a rather questionable starting point when you face the detail that Smart’s Universal Combat was simply really badly designed… It didn’t do much of anything well, and anything that might have been decent was behind an awful UI. (A UI that Smart has defended.)

Yes, mixing a bunch of different games together is often a recipe for disaster, or at least a recipe for mediocre. But we’ve seen successes along with failures at smaller scales. Maybe part of the problem is that we just haven’t seen enough good developers try the combination at a larger scale. (It could also be that none of these larger projects have been well enough managed.)

JimmyJamNYC says:

Just like Smart’s Battlecruiser 3000AD. Getting support for that game meant emailing Derek directly and usually getting a very snippy reply.

• tomimt says:

Yeah, Smart’s ake on the whole thing seems to be as he wasn’t able to pull something like this off, no-one will. He does have a valid point on that developing something like SC is very, very risky. And that at this moment in time SC hasn’t really shown anything that would make the case Robert’s is about to pull it off either. But how ever that might be, I still am more than happy to let the game talk for itself as soon as it is declared “complete”.

• grimzod says:

Of course its risky. Its crowdfunded precisely because publishers wanted NOTHING to do with it. Well screw them.

• 2late2die says:

Probably because most people realize that this project was never going to be a cakewalk. Most games go through plenty of issues – delays, redoing code, reevaluating system, etc. – a huge project like this was always going to have challenges. That doesn’t mean it’s not worth investing in.

Personally I’m in it for the long run, so a delay here or there is hardly worrying. Especially since I follow the dev logs and I can see the progress.

5. Dizrupt says:

+1. Suits the clueless shit talking by the media.

• Dizrupt says:

In reply to Logeres, because comment system is great like that.

• ironman Tetsuo says:

what are the first and only logos shown at the beginning of the video? RSI and Star Citizen, not a single mention of Cloud Imperium. Maybe the media wouldn’t be so clueless if the people making the game actually left some clues….

• grimzod says:

Or perhaps the media could take five minutes to read and do their job properly.

• Ieolus says:

Here’s a clue.. CIG Audio. What does CIG stand for I wonder?

6. SanguineAngel says:

Weirdly, I am not actually that fussed if Star Citizens constituent parts are brilliantly executed or not. As long as they are relatively intuitive at the basic level I think the exciting thing about the project is the breadth of the player’s interaction with the universe between those parts.

Star Citizen, barring major catastrophe, is likely to allow player characters to interact bodily with the tasks that are ordinarily reduced to a menu interaction in other games: Boarding actions, salvage jobs, ship repair, mining, bridge command, EM warfare, trading, loading/unloading cargo. I want to feel like a space trucker and I want my enemies to quiver in fear (or with laughter?) when I step foot on their ship. I want to watch my ship unloaded then go and haggle with a local trader for stock and trade gossip at the bar and wake up (log on) on board ship or in the station. I actually don’t mind if it’s wonky. Heck, wonky-ness is typical of the genre in general.

For comparison I like to look at Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter which was a pretty lacklustre space sim and pretty lacklustre FPS but I would have played it endlessly even so, had the design been less disjointed. I played it quite a bit anyway…

Sure it might blow up in everyone’s face. Chris Roberts may never work again. I might have wasted £35 – although I would say I’ve gotten pretty good value for that investment just watching things unfold. Others may have invested huge amounts in a folly. It might turn out to be rubbish. It might never appear at all.

But it might turn out to be an average fps/space sim allowing me to do things I’ve always dreamt of. It might turn out to be a /stellar/ fps/space sim and for £35 it’s a chance I am more than happy to take and would rather RSI tried and failed than never tried at all.

7. Carlos Danger says:

Still find the fact they are using current weapons for a space sim set 900 years in the future lame. Wish they would show some vision in the gunplay but they went the bland route for sure.

• Zenicetus says:

Another way to look at it, is they went the route of “Let’s have fun playing with real guns on a firing range to get our audio samples.”

It’s a more fun way to burn through the backer money than walking around recording the sounds of banging on metal lamp posts and plucking rigging wires, to get energy weapon sound FX.

• STARFIGHTER says:

I mean, they do that too…

Maybe I am just used to this because I’m a sound designer for theater, but this is absolutely par for the course. If you want a convincing gun sound, record a gun. Then layer things on top of that so it sounds like what people imagine a gun to sound like, kicked up to 11. What they’ve shown gives me confidence that their sound design team knows what they’re doing and I’m happy with it. And I’m saying that as a sound designer.

• SuicideKing says:

I think that’s what they’ve done to the electric shotgun?

• Zenicetus says:

Right, my point was that if there was a decision made about whether they’d be using current-day gunpowder weapons or futuristic energy weapons in the FPS part of the game, someone at the conference table might have said “Guns! They’ll be WAY more fun to record audio, because we can go out and shoot some real guns!”

Also, that promotional dialogue in the trailer about recording the ambient sound in various environments, is a perfect example of scope creep and overkill. It’s just because they have the insane amounts of funding to do it. Either that, or they’re too green at this to know how a convolution reverb plugin works.

• STARFIGHTER says:

No it’s not, it’s sound designers doing their jobs properly using industry standard practice. As I explained to someone else, in modern sound design for TV, movies, games, and theater, you take two approaches: Clean sounds that you change as needed, and live sound. Both have their place, but live sound is impossible to replicate fully. You can get close.

The more real sound you use, the more real your project is going to sound. There’s a huge difference between throwing reverb on a clean sound and calling it a day, (even if it’s a sophisticated plugin with all manner of simulation options) and the color you get from a live sound recorded with a particular mic in a particular humidity in a specific room built a certain way.

You are essentially arguing with quality. They are doing it exactly right and you’re saying that it should be done more cheaply. I disagree, I think it should be done correctly.

I’m not going to speculate what happened in a hypothetical meeting behind closed doors. You can imagine all manner of things to get fussed over, but they’re just that: Imagined.

• Sacarathe says:

In the final MMO component of the game, FPS combat will be ARMA style and not battlefield. I refer to time to return to combat.

I’ve backed a lot of money now and tbh this is the first evidence i’ve seen of CIG wasting it. I mean yes, they want to make the FPS game their FPS, game but there are more important things than “sound sources further away were made with different microphones and are not just ‘made quieter’ is a little eccentric.

Still, when you’re at the helm of a 30 person ship(lets say 400m) and you’ve been boarded, will be nice to know how long the bridge will remain yours while you try to pulverise the bastards trying to break open your ship with theirs.

• metric day says:

Oh, bullshit. There’s not one person there with ANY experience whatsoever doing anything ARMA-style. Illfonic? Yeah, they do things unemployed-style.

• Sacarathe says:

Well the entire game is approached this way, but they have said there will, even after release be ways to practice, eg virtual reality.

I’ve only played ARMA 2 co-op for 25 hours – and battlefield games for thousands, it was only the ARMA interface that put me off and not the gameplay, but don’t hold too much to my comparison beyond the time to return as I stated. :)

• STARFIGHTER says:

I… what? How is this a waste of money?

This is how sound design for video games (and movies, and theater, and everywhere else) is done. You have two angles that you approach it from – One is generating “clean” sounds for more generic sound effects which you then modify as needed in order to have them fit the context in which they occur during the game. The other is to essentially foley it – you generate sounds live in different environments. This creates a much more real sounding source to work from, but it’s more context specific and sounds out of place if you try to use it elsewhere, which is why you have the generic sounds too to cover all the bases.

Everyone does this. Everyone that has a sound department for their project does this. This is how sound design works. So I’m a little baffled to read that you think that it’s a waste of money when this is how sound effects are and have been crafted for the past 30 or 40 years in every media with sound, ever.

It also saves money in certain respects because now you don’t have to license (and pay for) a library of sound effects from someone else, which while it saves time, can cost a boat load.

• Sacarathe says:

Evidence, not proof.

There are plenty of aspect of the project which have a much higher priority than recording gun sounds, I did overly generalise and I did not intended to include the armour sound effects in that or the gun environment(open/enclosed/cramped etc) effects, only the gun distancing effect.

Of course, since that could have been recorded at the same time as the actual FPS/third person gun sounds, they’d spend little setting up a few extra mics, hence:

Evidence, not proof.

• Cinek says:

I don’t know where people see that ARMA-style. I seen all of the FPS module / Star Marine videos and it all looks like slightly more elaborate BattleField. Sprint/Run/Walk mechanics are basically BF3, damage mechanics are unlike anything in BF for ARMA. Visuals are much closer to BF. Overall combat dynamics seems to be much closer to BF as well.

I also don’t know why some of the community members think feel insulted by comparing Star Marine to Battlefield (I totally expect a storm under this comment like it happened last time when I did the same on RPS). It was really fun and highly successful game, far more than ARMA ever was (probably the peak point of ARMA was DayZ, but I doubt more than 10% of DayZ players clocked over 30 minutes in ARMA itself).

• grimzod says:

In the PU if you die you are done, start over at a clinic assuming you aren’t revived and enslaved. After a random number of combat deaths your character dies permanently. You can extend your life with meds/bionics but only for so long. Hope that a medic gets to you before you die in combat and you can keep playing, otherwise its a LONG way back to get your stuff…if its still there. ARMA style in that jumping and running and gunning in combat will get you dead sooner and …well thats no fun right? So you will learn to be tactical in your execution of FPS or you will eventually run out of luck.

• darioampuy says:

well, everything in SC is made taking into account simulation over arcade pew pew… when you pilot the ships you have to take into account Gforces, energy signatures, power management, etc… and one of the things CIG said from the start (besides the game will be an exclusivelly 1st person view designed game for PC) is fps will be a game more similar to “ARMA/swat/tactical closed combat with bullet physics and realistic damage” than “counter strike/battlefield/rambo like knifers jumping around/pew pew arcade”

8. Zack Wester says:

Sadly I didn´t back this game dont have the rig for it and I dont have the cash for it ether.
    But I can say this some one said feature creep on the FPS mode But I do remember that one of the feature they said from the start was boarding and that… and well that sort of requires a FPS mod of some kind and then the Engine name escapes me but I’m pretty sure that the game “advertising” the Engine was a FPS so my guess is that a lot of the ground work was already done… I could be wrong so take everything I wrote whit a grain of salt.

• grimzod says:

CryEngine 3. CIG has already reworked the netcode and added 64 bit precision (large world) engine wide…so theres a reason the devs call it StarEngine – and CIG has more CryEngineers that crytek now and a new German office with devs from crytek that built the engine – so illfonic is out of a job as they take the FPS in house to fix the animation issues illfonic couldnt get a handle on.

9. metric day says:

This is going to be SUCH a trainwreck, just like every other project Roberts has tried to lead in the game racket for almost 30 years.

• metric day says:

Almost 20 years. 30 years isn’t fair. I quite liked the early Wing Commanders.

10. darioampuy says:

all the “negative” nedia and negative comments about star citizen are the result of toxic behavior, trolling or simply ignorance in game development…
    there are the basic fundaments against star citizen cited over and over and over again:

– “the game was supposed to be released 2015. it isnt’t so it’s a scam”. fisrt of all a game like this will take no less than 5 years. GTA 5 was in development before GTA IV launch, metal gear solid V that launched this month was in development since 2009 and it’s only a 3rd person stealth open game!!!

– “they sell 10.000 dollar imaginary ships, so it’s a scam and a p2w game”. false. those are a way for whales (people with a lot of money, not the actual sea mammals) to keep fundraising the game. EVERY ship in the catalog will be purchaseable with ingame money. there won’t be any premium ship so far

– “the game is extremelly complex and since i can’t do it nobody can’t”. well, it was the reason some famous toxic troll tried to do a class action suit and lost, just because he can’t make any decent game at all… it’s not the first time Roberts make a game that is ahead technology… almost all his space combat games were pioneers in 3d, render and software technology, and all were a success

• ineatprophet says:

“the game is extremelly complex and since i can’t do it nobody can’t”

Double negatives, man, they’re fun.

• darioampuy says:

lol sorry about that, english isn’t my native languaje and i was more worried about sliding a “then” instead a “than” or some other common mistake :P

• EhexT says:

“it’s not the first time Roberts make a game that is ahead technology… almost all his space combat games were pioneers in 3d, render and software technology, and all were a success”

The only time Chris Roberts has tried to do anything as ambitious as Star Citizen he had to be kicked off the project because he couldn’t complete it within an (already extended) budget. If it had been up to Roberts that game would have never come out and the money would have been gone. Only the fact that he had to answer to a publisher meant anything came of it. This time he’s got even more money, an even bigger ego and nobody to oversee him.

11. derbefrier says:

I just think at this point in the games development, with all the information out there about it, you REALLY have to be going out of your way to think this game is going outright fail at this point. As far as gameplay I think they got that nailed. Star Marine is looking pretty cool, Dog fighting is already fun, the social module is up and running and we saw Multicrew working damn near perfectly in the live gamescom demo. So at this point its all about “putting it all together” ( which is pretty much what AC 2.0 is and what we saw working at gamescom) which is what we are going start see happening in the coming months.

My one and only concern left about this game is networking and backend stuff which is steadily getting better but has a long way to go if we ever want 50 or so ships in one dogfight.

link to imperialnews.network

for those interested this is pretty much the most up to date info we have regarding release schedule, there are no dates but we do know what they are wanting to have done by the end of the year.

• Sacarathe says:

“basically you are just talking out of your ass.”

Nope. Just did not expect the precision required. I’ve backed past $1k now, so I should be allowed some entitlement to critique the project.

• Synesthesia says:

“so I should be allowed some entitlement to critique the project.”

nnope.

On a different note, guys, the comments on the site are a real mess. Is this gonna stay this way? Lost replies, no edit functionality, no alerts for replies… you can seriously do better.

• EhexT says:

Oh man the number of times we’ve seen “things working perfectly” at a show or another that then turned out be so broken they had to throw it away – multicrew, countless ships, their entire front-end service (on it’s 3rd or 4th iteration now – still awful), their flight model, FPS, etc.
      Them showing something in a video means absolutely nothing. The dogfighting gameplay is garbage, and it’s ALREADY a horrible grind with monetization out the ass. And that’s a game that they stress isn’t even done yet (despite going for a 1.0 version number since according to them “it’s polished like a release build”).

• brievolz84 says:

You damn well know that is very unsubstantiated unless you have first hand knowledge or have a source that no one on the internet has. From what I’ve been able to research online is that Chris asked for money from MS because he banked on Starlancer to make a lot of money but it wasn’t enough, MS gave them some money…..stuff happened and then Chris left. Anything could have happened between that time; it’s almost like an ad lib because no one knows except for MS and the higher ups at Digital Anvil.

• grimzod says:

Dogfighting isn’t monetized. Thats the dumbest comment since Derek Smart claimed a PHd and then wouldn’t say from where he got his!

12. montorsi says:

Well that looks like something I played five or six years ago, and it wasn’t any good then.

13. tomimt says:

It’s definetly wery difficult to tell yet if SC will become even a decent game or not. Their social module does look very nice and all, but even still they have some oddities in the simplest things like walking, which at times feels a bit off.

In the end though SC is one of those projects I follow with morbid curiosity. I just recently bough it as my curiosity got so big, that I just had to see it myself. I’m fully prepared for it to suck and thus I won’t even be mad if that ends up being the case, but right now it just gives me a feeling of being a part of something that tries to be bigger than might even be possible today. SC feels at this moment more like an odd, experimental experience rather than a real game project to me.

14. Xzi says:

I’m in no hurry. I got Star Citizen in some AMD bundle along with like three other games I wanted, so I don’t think it can disappoint me no matter how it all turns out. It will be interesting to see all these different modules connected regardless of the resulting quality.

15. Gibs says:

“Observe, a new video proving that its FPS side will indeed have sounds”

Ah so I’m not the only. I’m so glad. I’ve been harassed by so many Star Citizens fans around the net I started to think perhaps the problem was me… xD

16. SuicideKing says:

The sounds aren’t anything special, but they’re definitely very good.

But otherwise, what they’ve done is par for the course.
    link to youtu.be

• SuicideKing says:

I didn’t want to embed it…start watching from 3 mins 15 seconds for the sound overhaul part.

17. Mr_Blastman says:

Until they fix the control imbalances, I am not giving them any more money!

Mouse interactive mode is ridiculously overpowered and has absurd advantages. It is essentially like playing the game on a tablet with your finger and pointing at stuff and it dies.

This was promised to be a space sim game, controller agnostic–not some stupid free to play lightweight kid game with easy mode point and click. They also said it was not going to play like Freelancer–MORE LIES!

As far as I am concerned they have lied their ass off the community and haven’t gotten it through their thick stupid skulls that allowing a mouse to control aim and flight simultaneously while having perfect, precise aim with gimbal weapons is somehow fair against joystick users–WHO… according to polls, are the majority of users. That’s right, the majority would rather play with a stick. But mouse mode as it is right now makes this impossible.

Mouse mode is imbalanced and Chris Roberts needs to get with the program and promise what he said he would rather than sweep it under the rug and pretend it was never said just to get more money.

18. Chorltonwheelie says:

Hey Alice, the kids ’round here call good things (usually good looking passers by) ‘bum’.

Back on topic. I’ll pick it up on a Russian serial site when the price comes down…s’just a game fellas.

• grimzod says:

Good luck with that. You’ll be tossing your money into a black hole.

19. Cinek says:

Apparently almost noone gives a s*** about the video itself, so at least I’ll comment on that.

Video is great. Obviously not as impressive as Interstellar Marines Voice Porting but still above and beyond of what most of the FPS games offer. I really like it. I’m also a big fan of them using more… traditional weapons (as opposite to some totally random and generic sci-fi, eg. Planetside 2 Vanu), it really adds to the feel of realism.

20. Nick Savage says:

It’s a big game, with lots of bits, but I think it’s got a reasonable chance of turning out pretty well, to be honest. They’re taking a piecemeal release approach, so pretty much everything is constantly playtested by gamers. As they develop the first part of something, they bolt it on to the other bits. Then they develop it some more.

Their fund raising has prompted questions, which is fair. Some of what they do can easily be seen as opportunistic and reasonably manipulative (despite claiming “you’re backing the game”, they really do mean “you’re buying a ship”), but ultimately I think that’s what it’s going to take to develop a crowd funded game on this scale. They’re probably still short a good $40m or so to achieve what they want at this point.

So far, the various parts I’ve seen are quite promising. I love the multicrew stuff and I can’t wait for them to develop it more. I like that they’re still modifying dogfighting gameplay based on community feedback. Quite a lot of the framework they need for the rest of it is starting to actually materialise, which is pretty cool. It must suck, trying to develop a game when everyone is yelling “scam”, or “It’s going to fail.”

Hopefully most people have spent what they’re happy to write off, if it doesn’t turn out well. I have. I’ve put in what I think appropriate to help my dream game have a chance – even if it is a long shot. So why not be cheerful and optimistic about it? Give whatever you gave for E:D and you’ll have twice as much chance of getting that great space sim in three to five years time.

21. Jokerme says:

I have ordered a truck full of popcorn for the fail process of this. I won’t even feel a little bit sorry for those who wasted their money on empty promises. You deserve worse for ruining game industry.

• Hitchslapped says:

How is Star Citizen or their backers ruining the industry??

• Jokerme says:

We are already at a point where some people pay money for possibly not getting a product in return let alone the product they expect. As long as people fall prey to hype, publishers will abuse it and it will only get worse.

• grimzod says:

I’m GLAD they’re DESTROYING the ‘game’ industry. No more crudware that barely does what games did ten or fifteen years back. When it releases and the masses get to use it they’ll realize this could have been done a LONG time ago but publishers sat on their hands and kept shoveling crudware out the door and you all ate it with smiles on your faces.

22. darioampuy says:

Star Citizen is the ONLY game we see in development from ZERO to the final product, in real life, with weekly reports as if we were the CEO of Rockstar or any other executive… even indie games doesn’t tell us what’s happening with the game we prepurchased with that amount of detail. CIG make us see how little we know about game development, because all the people that is rambling about delays doesn’t know the latest AAA games in steam library like mad max, metal gear solid, fallout, took no less than 5-7 YEARS of silent development, and developers only see that kind of fear and skepticism from executives instead the clients…

• vlonk says:

I think you have a good point there. Most software projects go either over budget or over the release date or both. A meaningful percentage of projects fails outright because the desired end product was just not possible to make with the amount of money/time/hired personnel. Software engineering, game software especially, seems chaotic, rough, unpredictable aaaand… it somehow is.
      If we where to look over GRR Martins shoulder while he writes the new GoT we would probably get the same vibe of insecurity and madness about the project.
      What lifts SC above other projects is its scope. I really hope that – one day – I can reed the following words in a review on RPS: “seamless transition” “balance” “comes together” “delightful journey”.

23. racccoon says:

Star Citizen has become a JOKE!
    I was a stupid mug & have never again bought back into these startups from those times past when I did.
    The game isn’t at all what was so glorified & said it to be. Its crap, Its basically so loaded with cash and so confused by directions & the fact they conned so many people, that they can’t even create a proper path. Instead Star Citizen is a fiasco of weaves and ducts spinning in spiral of total theatrical bullshit of self defecated shit.
    We all need to flush it, as I have flushed it as the lesson to never invest in start ups n’ shitstarters ever again!!

24. Booker says:

I’ve backed 11 or 12 games on Kickstarter and have gotten each time exactly what I wanted, except for the 2 projects that are still open and those continue to look good as well.

And yet I’ve stayed far away from this thing. It feels weird to me. Once or twice a year they show something that’s always different from what they originally wanted to do, all the time they continue to take money and just go on without ever releasing anything or getting closer to release itself.
    I don’t even understand who these people are who supposedly are giving them all this money. Roberts wasn’t involved in a game since the 1990s, I think and… It’s just so weird. Lots of folk seem to have invested so much money into this thing, that even if it turns out “okay” they’ll probably still end up being disappointed, because after many years waiting and so much money, you are obviously hyped for something great.

25. Jenks says:

Holy crap, shit on the unreleased game because it has to many features.

Now let’s see article 5000 on some dota clone, an entire genre based on 1 map and 4 button gameplay. THAT’S PC gaming!! Ugh. Gaming has been stagnant for a decade and this is how the press responds to someone trying to push the envelope.

“I don’t relish cynicism”
    Sure you don’t.

26. Kefren says:

Mmm. At the start of the video I couldn’t hear any difference in the armour sounds while running. I’m no connoisseur, but it seems a lot of effort and money to spend on a thing that many players won’t notice. Most of the noise is just heavy boots thumping on metal, whatever armour they wear. Personally I’d prefer some FPS element that wasn’t just manshoots. Getting to explore different worlds, with combat a rare and scary occurrence (a la Blade Runner, film). Environments like in the PC Blade Runner game, while I’m on that topic. I’d rather money went on that.

(NB: I know that isn’t their plan and it isn’t that type of game, which is fair enough, but it just led me to think of what I would have liked to see in a game rather than sound differences so subtle they’re not noticeable to me).

If they are aiming at realism, what happens when you die? Is that it, like a roguelike? I imagine that could be really tense and exciting as long as combat isn’t the focus of everything.

I think the name gives me different expectations. The game is apparently going to be spaceship shooting and manshooting, which makes me think it would be called Star Warrior or something. The fact it is called Star Citizen implies something else to me – live a life in this future world. It suggests there might be talking, doing jobs, having relationships, exploring, solving problems and so on – which, like real life, might mean the fighting is a rare thing. Yes, maybe it is the name that feels like a discrepancy to me.

• darioampuy says:

i couldn’t hear the difference either… but it could be because youtube’s codec or my cheap earphones, or both…

but i’m glad they add those features (most developers do). just because i don’t have a thousand dollars professional dolby sourround 7.1 piece of orgasmic sound system doesn’t meant nobody has it, the same way with vr systems or hotas controllers, there are players that will enjoy such features

• darioampuy says:

about dying… the game features permadeath. the star citizen site has a lot of info about the dying system, that’s similar to eve

27. macc says:

We moan for years that devs and publishers lack ambition. And when one dev shows it, we do everything in our power to shit all over him.

The scepticism is understandable to some level, but the people who follow the development closely know that the people at CIG are giving their everything to turn this into a success and they have the people and means to do it. That doesn’t mean it will be everybody’s cup of tea. But there is nothing that shows that this will be a guaranteed failure.

I am very happy with the money I put into this and I am enjoying following this never before seen very open development.

I have very low respect for people who tell me what I should do with my money, it’s non of your business. Also, people who sit here and hoping this to fail, it doesn’t get much sadder than you or this douchebag Derek Smart. Maybe you lack something you love in your life, so you shit on somebody else’s project.

• Reapy says:

I’m not invested in this game, but I did groan a bit on the amounts of money people were paying for things in it.

At the end of the day though, I hope to see a nice game come out of this. I think something that executes all of these modules on at least a competent level will be interesting if they can blend them successfully.

At the least they seem to have content production down and are able to put out some nice looking things. The real test will be how to wire them all together in a meaningful way, but at least they are trying to do that.

I miss a bit of the 90’s ambitions to wire many game generas together. I think the ongoing ‘funded alpha’ thing that can happen now a days may allow enough development time for something to come together.

Anyway, it’s happening regardless, so at this point I can only hope to see it succeed.