The Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth Voms Up Release Date

You probably want over a thousand new rooms, 120 new items, 8 new bosses, 25 new enemies, 4 alternate chapters, 10 new challenges, a new game mode and daily runs for twitchy Catholic horror roguelike/twin-stick shooter The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [official site]. You probably want to know when you can have those things, too.

I will tell you: October 30th. That is one day before there are lots of student house parties attended by sexy zombies and people who think dressing as one of the Avengers counts as a Halloween costume. And one day before every single videogame in existence adds a one-day-only spooky mode. So at least the Afterbirth expansion – that name being the first time I’ve felt just a little bit repulsed by The Binding of Isaac’s body horror grotesquery – is getting in there first.

Full details on the add-on plus a CGI-y trailer below.

Purportedly Afterbirth pumps up Rebirth’s play time by over 100 hours, but given there are many, many people who have played Rebirth for hundreds, if not thousands, of hours, I suspect that is an entirely arbitrary number. To play Isaac regularly is to have a second, indefinitely long career of blood-spraying, poo-splattering, psyche-battling dungeoneering, not something measured in mere hours.

Here’s the full list of included whatnots:

– Greed Mode: a whole new game mode with a heavy focus on risk/reward that is a completely new way to play that features new endings and a final boss.
– Expanded main game: a new final area has been added to the main game along with another new final boss and ending.
– Daily Runs: compete for highscore / best time on the leader boards in these daily seeded runs.
– 10 totally new and awesome challanges
– 1000+ new rooms, as well as new tiny rooms, closets and giant arching hallways.
– Totally new playable character, Lilith, mother of demons.
– 120 new items! not counting tons of new pickups, chests, pills, bombs, cards etc. taking the item count up beyond 525!
– 4 new alternate chapters with new chapter specific enemy types visual themes and surprises.
– New seed code combo page, as well as a butt ton of new seed codes that mod the game.
– Expanded soundtrack!
– New room types like, trap rooms, double treasure rooms and ultra rare closets!
– Greatly expanded and updated HUD system
– Tons of new secret transformations
– 8 new bosses
– 25+ new enemies
– Updated weapon combo system
– Far too many new achievements
– 20 million new co-op babies

Again, that’s all out on October 30th. I suspect daily runs are secretly the biggest draw here, despite all the new weapons and monsters: a new prompt to play daily, and an impetus for competition which goes beyond completion.

1. Ooops says:

Well, what I really want is for the remake to finally get a DRM-free release!

• hockeyhack says:

You do realize that while Steam in itself can be a form of DRM, games on Steam don’t have to use the Steam DRM. I played this game perfectly fine offline. I did not switch Steam to offline mode prior to not having internet (during middle of moving), opened Steam, turned it to offline mode and booted up the game just fine without internet.

While Steam itself can be a form of DRM, the developers of the games can choose to not use it. While many do use it, not all do, and I can say with certainty that Binding of Isaac Rebirth can be played perfectly fine without internet connection.

Mungrul says:

I’m somewhat incredulous that Alec is delivering this news item and not Alice. Or has she collapsed in a fit of excitement and anticipation?

• Crusoe says:

Pretty much my first thought right here. The only explanation is she’s too busy playing the base game in preperation.

3. SuicideKing says:

That title image gave me the creeps. :/

• Xerophyte says:

I am disappointed in the lack of staring eyes tag, however. I may have to withdraw my readership.

4. bandertroll says:

Oh lord, I’m waiting so much!

5. SirRoderick says:

I somehow feel like the odd one out for NOT liking this difficult, gore fest of uncomfortable artwork. You people are all weird, creepy creepy weirdos. :P

• Tycow says:

You’re not alone… never understood the appeal of the artwork, nor the game itself.

• MellowKrogoth says:

I can understand not liking the artwork and themes, but the game! It’s so perfectly balanced so that you care for every bit of life you lose and key/bomb you spend, the game is never a cakewalk nor stupidly difficult, and it has staggering amounts of content so that every run is really unique. If you even moderately like twin-stick shooters, RPGs or roguelikes it’s impossible not to like this game.

This said I wouldn’t mind a game like Isaac with less gross themes, but I’d rather have the game’s fucked up symbology than generic fantasy monsters. The replacement would have to show a lot of originality in its art direction to hold the same interest.

teije says:

I’m with you. It sounds like a very well done game so it’s my loss. But I like my entertainment way less creepy and gory in general – give me a classic screwball comedy from the 30s or 40s and I’m happy.

• metric day says:

Preston Sturges would’ve loved this game. There. All better?

• blur says:

The artwork and theme are all weird and creepy and discomforting, but I think that one has to appreciate that it’s all fitting of the motifs of the game. There’s actually a shocking amount of story depth for something so simplistic. Imagine: what’s the worldview of a child who’s lived in relative isolation, whose father left when he was an infant, who’s been neglected and cast aside by his by his mother, bullied at school, grown up steeped in religious fanaticism, and whose only friends have been his cat and dog, now both dead.

• hockeyhack says:

Eh, I didn’t much care for the original, it controlled clunky, and the theme among the items was well very disturbing. But Rebirth is my second most played game only losing out to back when I used to play WoW. The controls feel great, the item synergies are enjoyable and make each run feel different, and while the theme of the items is weird if you just ignore what the item names are, there is a lot of enjoyability in the mechanics and synergies found in Rebirth with really solid feeling controls.

I did not enjoy the original at all, but the updated version is STILL one of my games that I play the most throughout a week even with playing games like MGS 5, which I am really enjoying.

6. Wowbagger says:

Still playing rebirth and not got platinum god yet! From what i’ve seen Greed mode will mix things up the most, but daily runs are always a treat.

• Dromph says:

400h in and I still didn’t manage to get a level 4 Meat Boy. Damn you Conquest!

• Fistulator says:

Getting all four horsemen is a real crapshoot. There are better ways.

Combining the d6, spark plug, pyromaniac and some way of getting free explosions (dr fetus, ipecac, etc) with a monster manual is the way to go.

• Fistulator says:

There’s a more detailed guide on the wiki.

• Dromph says:

Yeah I actually know about this. However, I never got such a combination either, partly because I don’t farm for it. If I find Monster Manuel, I treat it like the crap item it actually is and leave it behind.
          Guess I’ll have to buckle down on this at one point, because I’d like to have Real Platinum God before Afterbirth comes out.

• Redrage1 says:

I had the same problem, until i realized something that happened every so often. And then i tested it and it works! The strategy is to just restart until there is a single key room next to spawn and that’s it! It’s almost always a library. The only thing is that it can be a library with only cards and runes, and it can take a very long time to get a run with a key-room next to spawn. Also always start with Isaac. Hope this helps!

7. DaceX says:

This list looks…intimidating. Like a whole new game. Which is cool. Each run will be even more varied then it is now.
    And now I don´t really want to catch up with a certain hidden character. There will be another floor to conquer anyway, may as well wait for all the changes.
    So,who else will throw dozens of hours to the wind and start a fresh file when this arrives?

• cflex says:

<blockquote cite="So, who else will throw dozens of hours to the wind”> Try hundreds. I’m at 439 hours and still don’t have a SMB or SBG… And yes, I will throw them away to play the update. :)

8. Wowbagger says:

By the way, is that a monstro figurine? because I want it.

9. criskywalker says:

And Mewgenics? When?

• Megarlin says:

Edmund stated that mewgenics development is on hold at least until the super meat boy remake is released.

10. GemFire81 says:

Awesome, im excited. I get why people might not like the game because of the art style, but I actually dont care about the theme much… I just enjoy the gameplay. If it had the same gameplay style but say super hero themed I would still be fine with it. Actually I might like that more. Still my point is just look past the art / theme and just play the game.