Capcom RPG Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen Heads To PC

Unexpected and welcome news has just reached us from Capcom HQ. No, we’re not going to get a Megaman Battle Network Legacy collection on PC but there is a port incoming – intriguing RPG Dragon’s Dogma [official site], in its expanded Dark Arisen edition, will be landing on PC in January.

“The PC version will feature stunningly high-res graphics and improved fidelity, as well as support for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers, as well as a traditional keyboard and mouse control scheme.”

It’s a fantasy RPG with AI controlled party members who are referred to as “pawns”. I haven’t played it but I have a soft spot for it already because one person I know, who has terrible taste in everything, thinks it’s a load of cobblers.

Dragon’s Dogma doesn’t look particularly weird but everybody who has played it seems to think it is a bit weird. If it had just been announced for PC and was an entirely new thing that nobody had played, I’d assume it was a fairly unremarkable fantasy hack ’em up with some big ol’ enemies. I’d probably assume it had some Dark Souls stuck between its teeth.

As it is, I’m aware that one of the interesting things about the game is that it allows parties of adventurers to fight large beasties without simply hacking away at their knees. Party members can be directed to attack specific body parts and you’ll be able to clamber into position to strike at vulnerable spots. That should allow for battles in which four people are chopping away at a monster from different positions rather than forming an orderly queue to take a swing at its shin. Sounds good.

I’ve also heard talk of choices that have a proper impact on the world and all manner of inventive open world shenanigans. Sounds like a treat. Capcom’s announcement addresses us all as “Arisens”, which I’m surprisingly OK with.

“Well met, Arisens! Here, have some awesome news:

“As of January 2016, the epic fantasy action-RPG Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available on Windows PC for $29.99 / € 29.99 / £ 23.99, with full Steam platform support. Huzzah!

In case you missed it on console, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is an awesome, inspired, sprawling fantasy game set in an open world, where players create their own unique character and supporting, AI-controlled characters known as Pawns, which can be “rented” and shared online by other players. Battle giant mythical beasts, master a variety of distinct vocations, and explore atmospheric dungeons to uncover endless items and loot.”

I can’t wait to master a distinct vocation.

1. RedViv says:

Finally we can have high res detailed PC pawns.

Many boats! Just as you’d expect from a fishing village!

2. Dale Winton says:

Best news I;ve read all day

Loved this game on xbox

3. int says:

Let it never be known if a bishop or rook should eat my pawns in fancy cocktails.

Mungrul says:

I absolutely adored this game on PS3, and it was a great contributor in convincing me that PS+ is worth the price of entry.
    And the story is deliciously weird. The whole concept of pawns, the player character and dragons, and their relationships to each-other is very well explored and slightly freaky.
    Will buy again. If nothing else, maybe I’ll finally get around to killing Death.

5. Cropduster says:

Can confirm that the game is kind of weird.

There’s a certain seedy quality to sending your pawns away to some stranger and watching them come back with gold and presents. Are they safe? Are they cheating on me? Am I a swinger or a pimp? Did they have more fun than they did in my party? I never know and they never tell me.

It’s a fun game though.

6. Nemo1342 says:

Guys, guys, I can’t tell you, because it would shame me, how many hours I have put into this game. It is one of the rarest things in this age of 24/7 video game coverage and media, a surprise. This game is so much better, and so much more fun than you would have any rational reason to expect.

One of my absolute favorite memories in all of video games is when I thought I had finished this game’s campaign.

Play it, play it now!

7. Frans Coehoorn says:

One of the few PS+ titles on PS3 that I actually managed to finish (well, the main story that is). It’s Capcom trying to do the Western RPG right, in its own funky Japanese way. It feels more Gothic than Dragon Age however, so don’t expect loads of fleshed out (main) characters with thousands and thousands of lines – this game is more about its Pawns (selfmade companions or rented from other players) and fighting against massive beasts instead, combined with a litle bit of that Dark Souls sauce that we all know and love/hate.

Also, the menu theme of the original version is great: link to youtube.com

And I don’t even like J-pop!

• Oozo says:

It has strands of a Western RPG, obviously, but what can’t be stressed enough is that it’s a game by part of the Devil May Cry-team. That’s crucial for understanding the appeal: it has the usual loot trading and leveling up, but at heart, it also has a fantastic combat systems that is partly Shadow of The Colossus, partly Dark Souls, and partly People Doing Impossible Moves And Setting The Night Sky Alight With Shining Lights. This, and Dark Souls alongside it, really made you feel how much most RPGs are missing the sheer fact that weapons, armor, and people do actually weigh something.
      Also, it has that absolutely bonkers Lost In Translation-charm to it that was much more common in the the earlier days of Japanese consoles. It’s its own thing, and gloriously so.

• Eight Rooks says:

Not sure what you’re getting at here: much as I loved DD’s combat it wasn’t remotely realistic, so I don’t think I’d say it took weight into account. I mean, it was brilliant, but you had air juggles, dashes, twenty-foot knockbacks and the archer could load up ten arrows at once and unload them like a shotgun blast into a goblin’s face. (God, that never got old.) It did have the stamina bar, yes, and that did make the combat fairly tactical at times, but you could just pause, access the menu and refuel in literally no time at all – it really wasn’t that much like the Souls games.

(Christ, it was still amazing, though. I’m getting all misty-eyed remembering it right now. I’d wander into areas I wasn’t a high enough level for and try and fight the enemies just because the combat was that much fun. It was totally feasible, too.)

• LexW1 says:

He’s not saying it’s realistic (literally, he says nothing of the sort), he’s saying it takes weight into account.

Which it literally and inarguably does. When I got it, I made Tyrion (and his pawn Bronn!), and being tiny and light, I would go flyyyyying, flyyyyyyying in the sky when I got knocked back, especially in light armour. Whereas big guys would barely move.

Your size/shape was a mechanical trade-off in other ways, too (always good/bad).

It’s a fucking amazing game, anyway. They “got” fantasy and dungeoneering and stuff, in a very tabletop way, and in a way Western CRPGs very rarely do. If they had this with like, writing that wasn’t terrible, it would be an mind-blowing combination.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Hideaki Itsuno was the lead director for the game, who also did DMC 2, 3 and 4. He said he had been dreaming of making this game since he was in school. Which is what convinced me to buy it after playing the excellent demo.

The character creation in this game is nuts. You can make anything from an obese blue-skinned little person to a frail old Asian lady with everything in between. Plus your character’s body type will affect how it plays.

• LexW1 says:

Ah, interesting! DD is pretty close to a perfect example of “What I thought games would be like when I grew up”, when I was, say, ten or eleven (and a novice D&D player).

8. Eight Rooks says:

Oh my gawd oh my gawd oh my gawd I honestly never thought this day would come. Amazing game. A little too easy by default, some of the sidequests drag on a little too long, the world is going to seem a little small next to The Witcher 3/The Phantom Pain, but other than that… it’s brilliant. It was so, so criminally underrated on release – the combat was phenomenal, the AI buddies were brilliantly done, the world was small but wonderfully designed, and for all its strange “Japanese” moments the story was really, really good. The entire ending sequence was just fantastic. I remember some reviews saying “Why would I play this when I could play Skyrim some more” – because seriously, nothing in Skyrim comes close, mods included. I would happily pay twice that price, no lie. Cannot wait, though I suppose I’ll have to.

• LexW1 says:

“I could just play Skyrim” was indeed a very odd reaction. I mean, I love Skyrim to death. I mod Skyrim to hell and back, but even the best setups, where people have worked incredibly hard to improve the game, Skyrim’s bland, clumsy, swing-y gameplay is, well, pretty bad, and half the places are mostly (realistic-but-dull) 1.5-man-wide corridors, so even if you have a bunch of companions with mods they’re just getting in the way or jammed behind you. The spells are bland (yes, even with Apocalypse whatsit and so on), the combat is bland, it’s just all so bland – the value it has is mostly in the experience, the wandering around, the doing stuff, the random shit that happens, not the actual gameplay.

But Dragon’s Dogma is something else entirely. It doesn’t have the experience or the world of Skyrim, the amazing views and so on (though some aren’t bad), but MY GLORIOUS SHINING GOD THE GAMEPLAY! It’s a fantasy RPG with ACTUALLY GOOD REALTIME GAMEPLAY. Something practically unheard-of (plenty of good turn-based or pause-play ones). The challenges are varied, the pawns are amazing, your abilities are great and actually matter and can be used in surprising way. I could go on, but really, Skyrim is looks like a total dolt next Dogma when it comes to gameplay.

Gosh, I think I need to go boot this up again…

9. Robert Post's Child says:

The surface blandness is actually part of the weirdness, I think, but it’s decent enough. Just finished the Bitterblack expansion this summer, was a good bit of hardcore post-game fun.

Two note: Be prepared for potentially completely missing key aspects of missions or the game itself without consulting the internet, although it’s never anything super crucial. Also you basically have to master every vocation, rather than distinct one, but that keeps it interesting, I think. Constantly changing playstyle.

10. mattevansc3 says:

You don’t just get to attack various parts of the monster but they also control what drops you get. You want a Cyclops eye? You have to climb on top it’s head, knock off it’s helmet and then stab it in the eye until it falls out.

While it may look Dark Souls-like that’s only because Dark Soul’s has a generic Japanese low fantasy aesthetic. While Dark Souls felt constantly claustrophobic this is more open world which brings with it it’s own sense of dread, especially during night time.

• RedViv says:

Night time is bloody medieval NIGHT TIME. It is proper good.

• lordcooper says:

DARK and full of terrors.

• stairmasternem says:

Oh yeah, definitely terrors. I remember one time fighting the women bandits, which went into the night. Soon a Cyclops noticed and I had to dodging a firey giant club. THEN skeleton knights popped up. There was much running.

• Hillbert says:

You’ve haven’t properly fought a goblin, until you’ve fought a goblin by the light of a burning nearby goblin.

Who you set ablaze.

• jj2112 says:

Yes, that’s what I miss in most games. Only the night time in Don’t Starve terrifies me now.

• Eight Rooks says:

It gets easier later on when you’ve levelled up a lot, but at the beginning… they give you a warning, don’t they? And I remember thinking “Come on, how bad could it be?” It was bad. So bad. SUDDENLY, UNDEAD. THOUSANDS OF THEM. Or, well, a lot more than I could handle, anyway. So much time spent cowering on top of a rock and praying the sun was going to rise while revenants hissed at me down below.

• mattevansc3 says:

I accidentally walked into a killzone down on the southern coast. Middle of the night cycle, ran out of torches, walked into this wide open area and get pounced on by two armoured Cyclops and a horde of goblins. The main light source wasn’t the goblin’s torches though. It was the three ballista hurling exploding barrels of fiery doom into the melee.

It was the morning cycle before I even started attacking the first ballista. That entire encounter has been one of my ask time favourite gaming moments.

11. GWOP says:

Yep, you can climb onto monsters and hack away while holding on here.

link to youtube.com

I’m really enjoying all the Japanese ports we wouldn’t usually have otherwise.

And the Japanese should really keep trying their hands at Western genres. When they tried making a WRPG, we got Dark Souls and Dragon’s Dogma. When they tried their hands at a cover shooter, we got Vanquish. And maybe Western devs can try their hands at Japanese-style games as well? After all, Anachronox was the best JRPG ever made.

12. golem09 says:

Best news of the year. I’ve been holding off my third playthrough for an eventual PC version, keeping up my hope, and dang it’s actually happening. This is the best action RPG in many many years.

13. mrwonko says:

Huh, I did not see that coming. One of the (now former) console exclusives I bought since I got my PS3 last year but rarely played since. If the port turns out OK I might just buy it again and play on PC instead.

• mrwonko says:

Extrapolating from that we might get ports of Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank 3, Crash Bandicoot 3, Dante’s Inferno, Ni No Kuni, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus next.

Surely that’s how it works?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

That is most certainly how it works, but stop calling me Shirley.

…Ico, The Legend of Zelda, Bloodborne.

• Pich says:

VANQUISH OH GOD PLEASE VANQUISH

• wcq says:

I’ve yet to forgive that Sterling scoundrel for his review of that game. Not to mention the atrocity that was his EDF 2025 review!

14. Setheran says:

Love this game, and can’t wait to play it again with better graphics and a (hopefully uncapped) smooth frame rate.

It’s definitely a weird one. Combat is excellent, with great animation, satisfying feedback, great music, and lots of clever tricks to discover. Fights with the larger enemies are incredibly exciting and intense. It also has the most complete character creator I’ve seen, letting you change your character’s height, weight, the shape of their limbs and even their posture.

At the same time the story is mess, the environments kind of bland, and the open world is laid out in a way that requires a lot of tedious backtracking. It’s like they poured all their resources into making the combat excellent and didn’t have the time left to polish everything else. And I guess it must’ve been the right choice, because despite all those flaws I’m pretty excited about playing though it again.

15. Solidstate89 says:

Does cobblers mean something else in Britland? Because all I got out of this was that the game is delicious, as cobblers are in fact quite delicious.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

You’ve reminded me my mother-in-law owes me a peach cobbler.

Harlander says:

Rhyming slang rears its ugly head again!

It’s a load of cobbler’s awls.

16. lordcooper says:

The magic is actually kinda magical.

• Wedge says:

I’ve never wanted to play a spell casting character in a game until seeing this.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The most fun class to play as is the Magic Archer. You get a magic bow that fires lasers at enemies.

• Fellhuhn says:

Meh. Played an archer class and it was boring because all the climbing which was really great was just ineffective for that class. My pawns had all the fun. :(

17. Xantonze says:

I don’t get it… is this the old game, or the new Dragon’s Dogma Online F2P that’s already out in Japan?

link to dd-on.jp

It would be quite weird to release the old game and not the new and shiny Online F2P version (which looks like the same thing, only with better graphics, online, and… free).

• Eight Rooks says:

The online version is a completely different game. It’s an MMO. I might well play it if they localise it, but I want the original single-player game back as well. DD was never particularly graphically stunning to begin with, at least not in a technical sense – it had fairly low-res texture work even by PS3 standards, low LOD distance and relatively low-poly models. But the art direction was (mostly) excellent, the characters, the monsters, the world design, everything – it was like a halfway house between Monster Hunter and Demon’s Souls. I don’t care how dated the PC Master Race crowd think it is, it was amazing and I want it back. January can’t come soon enough.

• Eight Rooks says:

EDIT: Also, yes, going by the press release in the article it is definitely the original game. Is the concept of a last-gen port really that weird to you?

• Xantonze says:

AFAIK, DD Online IS the same game. Same environments, same quests.
          But multiplayer, and with “HD” graphics (a big revamp since the game is out on PS4 as well. Not perfect, but better than the old shitty textures of Arisen).
          Hence, “better graphics”+ “multiplayer” = why bother with the old PS3 version?

I can understand that some people will enjoy the old single experience, but still (also, you can play DD Online alone anyway)…

• jester says:

dd online is definitely not the same game as dd:da.

the online game is a completely different story using many of the aesthetics of the original game (classes, spells, gear, monsters, etc) but takes place in a different location if not actual different physical world.

but it is not just a multiplayer/hd version of the original console game (as nice as that would have been to get).

18. DanMan says:

High-Res, huh? You mean, like in RE4? Sure… Much HD. Such textures.

19. Kempston Wiggler says:

Hurrah!

My ex girlfriend played this TO DEATH for months while I tried hard to ignore how good it looked.

NOW I SHALL HAVE THE SHINIES! MWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

20. Fiatil says:

Hooray! I was really interested in this game when it came out. I rented it for my PS3, but this is the first game I’ve ever played where I launched it and immediately noticed how terrible the resolution was compared to a PC game. I couldn’t make it longer than 15 minutes the way it looked, and I’ve been dreaming of a PC port ever since. Something about the FOV and resolution working in concert made it unplayable.

21. JiminyJickers says:

Great news, this is one of my favourite games of all time on the PS3. Looking forward to playing it on the PC next year.

22. pepperfez says:

It’s definitely weird, but good-weird. I was fully expecting Capcom to only bring their new F2P whaling ship and keep dangling the original game with some line about “If this other game sells well enough, maybe we’ll port the one you want…”

That is to say, I really liked Darkstalkers.

• pepperfez says:

Meant as a reply to Eight Rooks above, but I guess it stands on its own.

Harlander says:

Ever since I first saw my cousin playing this, I thought, “Hey, this ought to get a PC release some time.”

I was obeyed!

24. UncleLou says:

I love this game to bits, and will buy it a third time (DD on the PS3, DD:A on the PS3, now this). It’s not for everyone – it’s light on story/quests, etc., and the pawn system is a thinly veiled excuse to give you party combat without the need to create memorable NPCs, but the dungeon design is second to none, and the combat is simply fantastic – whether with a sword, bow, spells – it’s all immensly satisfying.

For some reason, the game comes damn close to how I imagined RPGs would look in the future when I was playing games like Ultima or Bard’s Tale as a kid/teenager.

• UncleLou says:

Forgot to mention: the loot is also fantastic. *Tons* of great looking, useful armour and weapons, with a steady sense of progression.

25. Wowbagger says:

What a big tree… It’s even bigger up close!

26. Maxheadroom says:

Loved DD (would prefer a proper sequel rather than a PC port but oh well). Wasn’t too fussed on the Dark Arisen expansion though which was more or less a seemingly endless, storyless dungeon crawl.

27. EhexT says:

Holy crap the best RPG of the last 5 years is coming to PC? That is fantastic. I had given up hope we’d ever get a PC version (despite the fact Capcoms magic in-house engine makes for incredibly good PC ports) since it’s highly unlikely anyone outside asia is gonna be able to play Dragons Dogma Online.

• king0zymandias says:

You really think Dragon’s Dogma was better than Witcher 3? If yes, then your opinion is wrong, objectively.

• EhexT says:

The Witcher 3 is by the numbers AAA RPG. There was very little originality in there. Excellently executed but still generic. Probably seemed more original to Americans, since it does have that classic eastern European style (there’s a lot of Grimm in the Witcher).

Dragons Dogma kept surprising me. And it merged grade A spectacle fighter mechanics, animation cancelling, air juggles and all with fantastic world building, a fun crafting system, the best mage class ever made and a grappling system that really should be in every game with big monsters by now but isn’t.

• king0zymandias says:

Witcher 3 innovated with character development, world-building, quest-design, marrying game mechanics with the narrative and many many more things. Whereas Dragon’s Dogma, although had an unique combat system, felt like it was written by a 12 year old. I guess it’s about what you value in a game. I personally really could care less about animation cancelling and air juggling.

• UncleLou says:

I wouldn’t say DD is “better”, but I enjoyed it more. And there’s nothing “objectively” wrong about it, it really depends on where your priorites are. The Witcher 3 has a lot more story, decisions, quests, whatnot. But the combat in DD (and the level/dungeon design) is much, much better.

28. wu wei says:

Here’s hoping this is to test the waters for a PC release of Dragons Dogma Online.

29. DaceX says:

Looks fun, but i dunno if it will run on my poor old maschine.

And is that Legacy collection a thing?I kinda want it to be a thing,please let it be a thing