The Witcher 3: Hearts Of Stone Coming October 13th

HEY YOU! HI! HELLO AGAIN! OH MY GOSH I'VE MISSED YOU.

The first expansion for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site], named Hearts of Stone, will arrive on October 13th, developers CD Projekt RED have announced. I’ll tell you more about that soon but first, the important part: it will get a physical release which comes with two Gwent decks. You could play Gwent with your pals. Oh aye, they won’t be your Gwent decks, but Gwent!

So anyway, the expansion itself! Said to take ten hours, it’ll bring a new story with new characters and monsters, a new Runewords system, and oh my gosh is that Shani again? Hi Shani! Here, come peep at the first teaser trailer:

Here’s what RED have to say today about Hearts of Stone:

“Step again into the shoes of Geralt of Rivia, a professional monster slayer, this time hired to defeat a ruthless bandit captain, Olgierd von Everec, a man who possesses the power of immortality. The expansion lets you choose your own way through an adventure that includes recruiting a crew of break-in artists, spending a night partying with a ghost and outsmarting the most bizarre creatures Geralt has ever faced.

“… Hearts of Stone packs over 10 hours of new adventures and introduces new characters, powerful monsters, unique romance, and a brand new storyline shaped by gamer choices. The expansion also introduces a brand new system of Runewords that significantly affects gameplay. Each Runeword will impact a different aspect of in-game mechanics and will allow the players to experiment with various strategies and tactics.”

So back to Gwent. The physical release will have Monsters and Scoia’tael decks for your playing pleasure. Folks who’ve already pre-ordered the expansion digitally can buy them separately for 9,99€. The expansion itself will cost 9,99€ digitally or 19,99€ in a box.

This is making me glad that I stalled in the main game (around the 70-hour mark), as when I return for Hearts of Stone I’ll be refreshed and reinvigorated for more questing beyond. CD Projekt RED are expanding its lovey-dovey stuff soon too.

1. blastaz says:

Definitely Shani.

2. heretic says:

Do you need to pick up an old save for this? Currently through my first playthrough not sure whether I should hold off!

Yay Gwent! About time for a real deck :)

• Volcanu says:

Apparently you can access the content at any time (including after the main questline of the base game is completed). The expansion quests will be level 30+ though so I’d say no need at all to hold back until its released…

Mungrul says:

Wait, that guy in the prison, isn’t that the guy you talk to in the pub in White Orchard at the start of the game?

• Cator says:

While that’s definitely his face model, but I am not sure if it’s unique just to that character. It might have been reused a bit in the game, though I am not sure.

• bleeters says:

So it would seem.

4. bleeters says:

Spend the night partying with a ghost, you say? Well I’m sold.

5. darkath says:

Hide your daughters, a witcher is in town.

• Stupoider says:

Pam pa-raaam… pam pam pam pa-raaam….

• Scrote says:

Love that song, even better than the “Plough them all!!” one from Witcher 2. EVEN BETTER!!!

6. Freud says:

They should make a gwent deck out of the fornication cards from the first game.

7. Zenicetus says:

Good news for Witcher fans who haven’t completed the main story. On the other hand, the ending felt so complete, so perfect, that I’m not sure I can enjoy an expansion until I play through the game a second time. And that’s at least a year off.

CDPR might have shot themselves in the foot by making the main campaign (and at least one of the endings) so satisfying. My Witcher story is done, for now.

• MiniMatt says:

Same here; whereas Witcher 2 felt immediately up for a second playthrough, the third installment hasn’t seen me touch it again after the closing credits. Said I’d start a second playthrough when DLC was released, but it still feels a bit soon.

Not sure why that is, as it’s an excellent absorbing game. Perhaps Witcher 3 feels like a great novel, whereas Witcher 2 feels like a great choose-your-own-adventure book.

• darkath says:

Witcher 2 had lots of branching points, with minor influence on the overall plot, but with a whole chapter having a different story according to the side you picked.

Incidentally theses choices carry out in Witcher 3 too. But as witcher 3 is supposed to close the story it would have been odd to have big branching decisions and separate content like in 2.

• MiniMatt says:

Yeah, your actions by and large feel like they affect the ending in 3, but in 2 they feel like they affect the rest of the game. That sounds unduly harsh on 3 – it’s an excellent game, but the compunction to play again to see different ending slides is not as great as playing again to see a completely new second half.

Combat specialisations in 2 felt a teensy bit more specialised than 3 as well, your play style in 2 is quite different depending on alchemy/magic/sword skill choices. In 3 I think everyone ends up largely doing the same thing with a little more or less emphasis on one tool or another.

Finally 3 is, or can be, considerably longer than 2. As such one is perhaps a bit burnt out on witchering after a playthrough of 3, yet still wanting for more after 2.

8. geldonyetich says:

I’m planning on finishing Witcher 3 once, waiting until aaalllll the DLC is out, then giving it a replay. Because I can’t see me enjoying sticking infusions of DLC into a game in progress, nor booting a game in progress up every few months to try out a new DLC. Seems like a logistics problem, even though Witcher 3 is certainly an excellent game and I am glad they’re adding more to it.

9. EdgarAllanPawn says:

I’m anticipating gwent surpassing the main Witcher games in popularity, resulting in becoming its own franchise, and eventually over throwing Hearthstone. Just making it into a stand alone game is fine with me as well.

10. Uhuru N'Uru says:

Both Expansion Packs are unrelated to the main quest at all, they are totally separate adventures, which may have occurred anytime during Geralt’s Witchering travels.

The fact that the recommended start level is 30 is simply because most gamers will have completed the main quest.

It’s not an indication as to when in the Witcher timeline the events occured.

I can’t stand Gwent or any other Game within a Game. The Poker Dice game was tolerable, mainly due to it’s brevity, but also due to not being common as a standalone PC game.
    Hearthstones popularity followed by Gwents, means most if not all new RPG’s will have they’re own potential card game.

I don’t even like Hearthstone or the genre at all. I will never play any of them.
    At least with the Witcher, I can just completely ignore it’s card game.