Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! Fighting Onto PC

No, Arc System Works still haven’t brought Guilty Gear Xrd to PC. Their cruelty continues, as today they announced they’re instead bringing Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! [official site] our way next and I did not change the punctuation or capitalisation of that name at all because it is amazing.

The all-female fighting game developed by Examu was first released to arcades in 2009, then consoles in 2011, and will finally come to Windows on September 29th. Come observe anime schoolgirls, witches, and goodness knows who else beating the heck out of each other with some pleasingly colourful special moves:

For reasons I don’t entirely understand, 23 young ladies are duffing each other up. I think they’re angels or something? They’re called Angels, at least, though given how zany fighting game plots can be, that may be an in-game term for prototype military cyborg infiltration units. Don’t look to me for answers; most of my knowledge of fighting ladies comes from campy girl gang films (not one for the workplace, that trailer). The point is: you fight.

As well as 23 characters (I like the look of the young lady who draws a cartoon monster for attacks) to choose from, it has a choice of 23 ‘Arcana’ to add on top too – traits which bring passive abilities and new moves to shake things up. Along with your standard campaign and online multiplayer, it’ll have modes like “survival score attack”.

Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!! (what a name!) will be on Steam for Windows on September 29th. It’ll cost $30 (£20-ish), but launch with a 10% discount.

The next arcade revision of the game will be named Arcana Heart 3: Love Max SIX STARS!!!!!! and that is even better.

1. CaptainHairy says:

Arcana Heart 3 is a really solid game as long as you can [sidestep/stomach/actually enjoy for some reason] the relatively heavy ~anime garbage~ theme it’s got going on.

Most interesting part of the system I don’t think is mentioned in the article is the homing button that causes you to fly towards wherever the opponent is, and turns a lot of the combat into almost dogfight-esque aerial exchanges.

• Kaeoschassis says:

“Anime garbage” is one of the things that makes me truly happiest in life. It can’t even qualify as a guilty pleasure because I never manage to feel guilt about it. And this is, after all, an ArcSys fighter. I suspect I’ll be picking it up.

That talk of a homing button brings to mind the Psychic Force games from the ps1 era. Anyone else have the fond memories I do of those particular gems?

• apocraphyn says:

Good lord. link to youtube.com

Only ever played the original – my parents randomly bought it for me as a birthday gift 15 or more years ago – but yeah, I have fond memories of it. (I also remember thinking that it was a bit naff, but I enjoyed it for what it was worth.) Think I generally played as the edgy gravity-powered Brad, more often than not.

Remember the sound of the cyborg guy’s machine gun? HRAUUUUUUM~

2. int says:

Gaiety, girls and beams.

3. richu13 says:

Good news

4. Xzi says:

Dear god, the titles of these anime games. Maybe just slightly over the top, lol.

• KDR_11k says:

Fighting games in general, as the series go on they bolt more words onto the title. The first game of the series was only called Arcana Heart. And the main character is called Heart (the left one on the article’s top image) and uses Arcana to fight…

• Xzi says:

I see. I mean, I guess over-the-top is really kind of the theme of anything anime, so it makes sense. I mean, just look at that screenshot. I might have diabetes from all that neon pink now. That style was appealing to me as a kid, but for the life of me I’m not sure how.

• Geewhizbatman says:

Well, video game titles generally don’t always make a lot of sense when translated. Elder Scrolls may seem like an obvious collection of words over on this side of the fence but I’m sure “Aged Parchment 3: PromontoryWind” doesn’t pack the same punch for a lot of folk just based on the words used.

And any genre of work has additions to it that aren’t the exemplars of what is possible. Putt Putt, while delightful, would make video games seem like an endless stream of fake honking, painting smiling cars different colors, and saving various forms of wildlife along with loud, confused children’s voices.

Go and enjoy some “From The New World” if you’d like to see one of the many examples, in both well done dub and delightful sub, of how anime isn’t all like Sailor Moon.

Which I think would also have been much better if they had just left in the cross-dressing, but then again I was a strange child :P

• Zankman says:

Yeah man, for example, the latest game in the Tekken series is called: “Tekken 7”.

Truly, these names are getting out of control!

5. Zankman says:

You know, when they make those Visual Novels or turn-based JRPGs even, I understand how it can work.

But here, with fighting games like these and Vanguard Princess?

How is one supposed to masturbate while playing these mechanically intense fighting games?

I mean, getting the user to masturbate is obviously the purpose of these games.

I suppose they have some secret goal to find “the best of the best” of those than can multitask most effectively?

Oakreef says:

One thing I’ve always wondered about these sorts of games: In the original Japanese are the names also just a random string of words or do they make any sense? How do they pick them? Ouija board? Ripping out pages of a dictionary and throwing darts at them? Watching scrabble tournament highlights?

• Mokinokaro says:

The names are probably the same (as in: in English) in Japan. Japan LOVES out of place English phrases/words for some reason.

Harlander says:

Japanese will just straight-up steal words from other languages and use them in a way that only makes sense in Japanese.

I mean, English does this a lot too, but most of its words are stolen from languages which work more similarly, so it doesn’t usually look as odd.

7. TheMopeSquad says:

I’ve heard Arcana Hearts is a pretty legit fighter so I’m looking forward to it but I doubt there’s any chance in hell there will be anyone online to play against.