Post-Post-Apocalypse: Fallout 4 DLC & Modding Details

You shouldn’t really eye up the dessert menu before your main course has arrived, but sometimes the need to know that profiteroles are definitely available gets the better of one. And so it is that ears are already pricking about Fallout 4 [official site]’s post-launch stuff things, including word of downloadable content and a vague window for its mod support.

There are no details just yet on what the DLC will be, but Bethesda say there will be a season pass for $30 which gets you all of it. They claim what they make will be worth at least $40, by which I hope they mean what all the DLC will cost to be separately rather than that they’ve decided there is a quality/length/price formula and they now have an empirical value-per-megabyte ratio.

“Since we’re still hard at work on the game, we don’t know what the actual DLC will be yet, but it will start coming early next year,” quoth Bethesda. I bet they have some idea, given Fallout 4 itself is surely deep in bug-splatting, QA, and certification at this point and there’ll be a whole load of devs hanging around needing things to do.

Then there’s talk of regular updates, referring to the various fixes and tweaks sent Skyrim’s way in the post-release months. Truth be told, Skyrim launched in a slightly shonky state on PC particularly, and it took updates such as supporting more than 2GB of RAM and adding proper high-res textures to make it ship-shape. I hope this isn’t a veiled admission that they’re expecting problems this time around too, though it is at least a promise to be on the ball. And, admittedly, Skyrim did set a precedent for listening to the community and making surprisingly significant changes, so it’s nice to hear that should be happening again. Bethesda say they’ll work with players to decide what needs to be added, “whether they are small tweaks or new features.”

And, of course, modding. Skyrim’s ongoing success can be at least partially ascribed to hard work and devotion of its fans, who put out all manner of ambitious, incredibly specific and outright horrifying new material for the game even to this day. Bethesda say “we’ve made sure to keep Fallout 4 open and moddable at every step in development,” but the bad news is that the latest version of the Creation Kit tool with which to make all those lovely mods won’t be with us until “early next year.” Still, hopefully the main game will occupy people well enough for two or three months. As they’ve said before, Fallout 4 mods made on PC will be playable on consoles too.

I know it’s early doors, but: what mods do you want to see? What do you want DLC to tackle?

1. RCoon says:

Is “desert menu” a deliberate pun related to the game’s post apocalyptic nature, or a typo?

2. Yachmenev says:

I would really want to know what their plans for how mods are distributed are.

Will it only be on their platform (I forgot the name of it now)?
    Steam Workshop?
    Both of them?

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

This is the big thing for me, there’s a lot of potential downsides to mods getting walled off in a publisher controlled site. Not least of which is the risk that of the site going offline when the sequel is coming up. Mods add a lot of longevity to old games so it would be in devs/publishers interest to limit that so as to make you buy new games.

• MirzaGhalib says:

I wasn’t aware they had a mod distribution platform. If you mean nexus mods then that’s independently run by modders, as far as I know. And the reason modders prefer the nexus is because of Steam’s mod limitations.

• Catweasel says:

It’s in reference to their vague new Bethesda.net platform they announced. Nobody really knows what kind of role it’ll play but hopefully it’s completely ignorable .

• Amstrad says:

I imagine they’re going to have to do some sort of proprietary system if they plan on making mods work for the consoles like they’ve been talking about. That said they’d be foolish to not permit the continued use of third party repositories like the Nexus.

3. BradleyUffner says:

I guess I’ll have to resist buying this until the Creation Kit comes out in order to verify that the modders can actually fix the inevitable bugs.

Also, screw paid mods. I don’t have a problem paying modders directly, but the publisher/developer should not get a cut of the money that modders get for fixing bugs.

4. Barberetti says:

I’ll be waiting for the obvious one before I even buy the game. The UI overhaul. And can we please have more than 8 bind-able keys for the weapons and inventory items for once?

Oh, and if they lock the R key again, I swear I will throw my fucking keyboard through the window.

• RedWurm says:

So much this. Whenever I do a clean install on any fallout/elder scrolls thing, I first have to work out how to make the mouse less unpleasant to use and mod the bejesus out of the inventory screens. But then the pip-boy interface means we’ll probably still be limited to reformatting item names and making the fonts smaller.

5. Mags says:

“Would you care to see the desert menu, sir? Madam?”

“Oh yes. I quite like the look of the Gobi.”

“I’m quite partial to a bit of Atacama, myself.”

• MadJax says:

“How is it, Sir?”

“It’s a little dry…”

• Darth Gangrel says:

“Do you want to get a sandwich before we leave to see Dune, Sa(ha)ra?”, “Only if it contains (sand) grains”.

6. Zenicetus says:

“What do you want DLC to tackle?”

How the hell can I know that, without even knowing what the main game is about? Jeez. My only hope is that they follow the lead of New Vegas, and release DLC that seem complete in themselves, and not something stripped out of the main storyline. Or an apologetic, better ending to the main campaign (looking at you, Fallout 3).

And get the writer who did “Old World Blues” involved, if they aren’t already. That DLC for New Vegas was the closest thing to what I’d like to see in a Fallout game, with the right mix of humor and wacky 1950’s sci-fi world building.

• montorsi says:

Holy shit keep Obsidian away from my Fallout 4, thanks.

• Zenicetus says:

(shrug) Different tastes, I guess, since I enjoyed NV a bit more than Fallout 3. I’m interested to see where Bethesda goes with this, although I may wait for some reviews before I pick it up.

• Werthead says:

Absolutely. The last people we want messing around with Fallout are the people who created it and made the best installments.

• Werthead says:

That was Chris Avellone, who recently left Obsidian and is available. Way too late for the main game, but it’d be cool for Bethesda to recruit him for a DLC or even just a few quests.

• AyeBraine says:

Old World Blues completed New Vegas for me and made it all worth it. It was like straightening your back after that – the “global” repercussions of the Courier’s quest (the one with missiles and pathos) felt far less weird than plopping back into existence in the plain old Mojave after seeing and learning ALL THAT.

Fucking teddy bears.

7. Crusoe says:

“Since we’re still hard at work on the game, we don’t know what the actual DLC will be yet, but you will start paying for it soon, anyway,” quoth Bethesda.

• Darth Gangrel says:

It’s not often both you and the devs can say “we know that there will be DLC, but we don’t know what it will be like”. That’s an odd occurrence even in this crazy world we live in.

8. Blackcompany says:

”…deep in Q&A bugsplatting…”

You do realize: this is a Bethesda game. Most QA for their titles takes place after release. We call the fixes Mods.

9. golem09 says:

Considering what DLC they produced for Skyrim, it will definitely be worth a 30$ season pass.

The good thing about it is, that you can get all of the important dlc in one package, instead of buying them piece by piece when they come out. And since there will already be sales on this even before the first dlc is out, it’s a lot better than buying piece by piece for full price when it’s released.

10. raiders says:

Make me a mod so I can mount a giant rat. I want him to fight and hold all the wasteland treasure I find. And I want to feed him the flesh of my foes. Meaning, I must kill in order for my rat to survive. I want to be able to armor him up too. I don’t want just some ol’ saddle rat. I want to be able to level him up as I level up. Sorta like my Diablo III scoundrel…but better. Much much much better.

• Doomstar says:

Wot Raiders said except I want a giant ant.

Qazinsky says:

Are you… are you forcing your scoundrel to carry you around on his back?

11. seroto9 says:

I’m sure a mod to turn the wasteland in to bloody Morrowind again is already in progress.

12. Sin Vega says:

FWE pls. Also a mod that adds telephones, so you can do all your quest crap/shopping at the gate of a town instead of trudging around a huge but mostly empty settlement for 20 minutes every time you visit.

• Mezmorki says:

I’m one of the duded (the original dude) that made FWE – so that’s nice to hear :) I wonder what we’ll have in store for that. If it’s anything like FO3 and NV I won’t be able to stand the gameplay as delivered will be compelled to start fixing it!

13. eggy toast says:

We have cream puffs in the states, too. I’ve had them and they’re nice, but they don’t have the rapacious appeal that profiteroles have in the UK (or just in England?)

• Darth Gangrel says:

Wow, I never knew profiteroles was a real thing, I just thought it was a word Alec had made up. You learn something new on RPS with a frightening frequency.

I have heard of cream puffs before, though, and looking at Wikipedia made me crave such pastries, but it’s night time now and all shops are closed, so I’ll have to eat one tomorrow.

14. Tayh says:

No mention whether they’ll be monetizing mods this time around?

• ulix says:

Well, they said three months ago they had “no plans” for paid mods in Fallout 4… it`s a bit vague, but I’m guessing we won’t see them in this game. Or at least I hope we don’t.

With Elder Scrolls 6 however…

• ulix says:

Apparently Pete Hines also said at E3:
        “Mods created on the PC, will be able to be transferred, played and shared for free on the Xbox One”

So… if they’re free on Xbox One, there’s no way they’ll be charging for them on PC…

15. Jeremy says:

My main hope for mods is that it’ll be a little more intuitive or standardized. Modding Fallout 3 or NV is just kind of a pain. Finding out which order to load mods, which mods overwrite values in other mods, and general stability, is kind of a pain.

And please… 2GB support is a joke. Even 4GB at this point is a joke. Just future proof it and allow for 8GB.

• Kiytan says:

oddly this is something I found much easier in skyrim, load up the nexus mod manager, download all the mods (making sure none of them obviously conflict – two that alter the main storyline in the same place for example) run BOSS and go. It only gets tricky when you’re up to the 200+ range.

16. PopeRatzo says:

I wish they’d release the system specs. I’d like to know if I’m going to have to wait until I win the lottery and buy a $2000 PC to play this game.

17. Marclev says:

“Fallout 4 itself is surely deep in bug-splatting, QA, and certification at this point and there’ll be a whole load of devs hanging around needing things to do.”

One would hope they’d be fixing the f****** bugs!

• Hedgeclipper says:

Yeah but its Bethesda, I’m pretty sure these rumors of a QA department were planted by North Korean PsyOps teams.

• Crane says:

You do realise that the QA department can find all the bugs in the world and it doesn’t mean shit if the producers or the dev team declare there isn’t enough time to fix them prior to release, right?

Most bugs in most games don’t actually go unfound, they simply go unfixed and for that you can usually blame producers or publishers.

18. Barberetti says:

How about a mod that stuffs the entire game into a better game engine.

19. MrFinnishDude says:

What kind of mods you would like to see eh? Well there is no point in saying breast mods because they’re are a given.
    How about a mod that adds the entire Mohave desert into the game? Well that’s a given too, mod that will add dragons and dinosaurs that shoot laser beams? Obviously someone will do that too at some point, so i’m all out of ideas.

• machineageproductions says:

You’re thinking small time. Also My Little Pony mods. And something to allow you to kill children.

• Jeremy says:

I’m pretty sure those also exist. Recently I was modding Fallout:NV and a Bronie mod was on the front page.

20. Seth_Keta says:

What mods do I want to see? Mods that are not monetized. I don’t care about paying for skins, but if I have to pay for a mod that fixes the damn game to a playable state, then I ain’t buying the game.

21. Mr_Blastman says:

DLC before a game’s release is a crime. I refuse to pay for DLC. I make due with user-made content. Finish the game you lazy bastards and charge us five bucks more or something for it!

• ulix says:

You do realize that most developers, artists and such are out of work months before a game ships, when it’s in QA and so forth? As the article states as well…

22. Buuurr says:

Such tears for a game that will be loved so much.

23. bandertroll says:

I want DLC’s like in a Fallout NV. Solid, story-driven, massive, in its own setting, like a “Dead money” or “Old World Blues”. It’s a DLC of my dream – not a like “Hearthfire” for Skyrim or just sets of weapons\armor in start of NV.