Minecraft PC/Mobile Crossplay Means You Can Never Escape From Playing It With Your Kid

If you’re a parent who thought that buying your child a cheap smartphone or tablet would spare your PC from being taken up with endless block-chipping, I’ve got some bad news for you. A new patch introduces crossplay for the Windows 10 version of Minecraft [official site] and the Pocket Edition on iOS and Android – anyone on the same network can play together. Which means that yes, sorry, your time with your PC will once again be spent looking at your kid’s mangled recreations of Ben 10 monsters and vloggers you’ve never heard of. I guess this constitutes both a reason to upgrade to Windows 10 and a reason not to upgrade to it, eh?

Rudimentary online play is included too, but is currently ‘a work in progress’, with Mojang warning that manual route port-forwarding will probably be required. Whether local or online, cross-platform play is currently limited to a maximum of five players.

Meanwhile, no word is given on whether the original, non-Windows 10 version of Minecraft will receive such treatment. It seems unlikely, given that the Windows 10 version is essentially the Pocket Edition. The first consequences of the Microsoft are making themselves known, I suspect. At least they didn’t decide to only support Windows Phones, however.

More details on how this multi-platform malarkey works are here, but before you read them do have a play of Mojang’s short’n’delightful Persona 4 spoof at the top of that page, with which they are announcing the crossplay news.

Incidentally, if you already own Minecraft on PC then you can ‘upgrade’ to the Windows 10 edition for free, presuming you have the OS in question. Details on how to do that are here.

1. geldonyetich says:

Nnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!~

2. jonfitt says:

If the Win10 version is Minecraft PE, doesn’t that mean that it’s missing a load of stuff from the full PC version?

• MaXimillion says:

• PseudoKnight says:

It doesn’t have redstone or dedicated servers yet, for example, and it’s unlikely it’ll EVER have anywhere near the modding scene the Java version has.

• geldonyetich says:

it’s unlikely [the Windows 10 version of Minecraft will] EVER have anywhere near the modding scene the Java version has.

It’s hard to say what the future may hold. I’m wondering if it’s even possible for somebody to develop some kind of version of Forge (the primary 3rd party Minecraft modding API) that would leverage mods into the Windows 10 version.

I’m not so ignorant as to think that would be a minor undertaking, as it would basically involve a complete re-write of the Forge API that also converts JAVA-based mods into some kind of memory hack? That would not be easy, not by far.

• PseudoKnight says:

It’s possible, but from what I know C++ is less inherently moddable. I think it would need some more deliberate tools. I’ve seen some C++ games use LUA scripting for modding, which just isn’t the same. It’s more accessible (even though the syntax makes me cry) but unless the API is very extensive it’s not as powerful. It’s also slower, which would offset one of the advantages of C++.

While I have experience modding MC, I have little experience modding other games, so take this with a grain of salt.

• FriendlyFire says:

There is no way of making Forge mods work with the PE. Since it’s C++, there’s no injection support via reflection, so there’s flat out no way to do mods aside from very dirty code injection (which has been done in the past for other games, but which is frankly not realistic for Minecraft). Microsoft would have to implement a very thorough API, and even then it’d require some serious re-engineering of any mod that’d want to port over. It’s unlikely that Microsoft would use Java for anything, so any mods would either be pure C++ or perhaps C#.

I have no idea if Microsoft would see any interest in putting mod support in PE. Modders would most likely be inherently distrustful of the game and even those that aren’t would most likely balk at the amount of work required to maintain two very different versions of the same mod.

Oakreef says:

If Microsoft did make it possible to mod with C# though then it would at least be relatively easy for people who only know Java to move over. The syntax is nigh identical a lot of the time.

• Smashbox says:

Very few games will ever have the kind of mod scene Java Minecraft has.

There are so so so so many mods. It’s the richest mod scene I’ve ever seen, and I played DOOM, SimCity 4, Quake, Warcraft 3, and Half Life.

• TeeJay says:

@PseudoKnight
        @geldonyetich
        @Smashbox

Before I saw this RPS post I had ealier today coincidentally started a thread about modded minecraft in the RPS forum asking:

“What mods/modpacks/modded servers have you enjoyed most in the past? What are you using now and what are you looking forward to trying out in the future?”

link to rockpapershotgun.com

I’m just at the start of getting into modded minecraft and would like to eventually get something RPS-related going alongside the current uRPS vanilla 1.7.2 server.

I’d love to hear what your experiences have been – posts here tend to get a lot of views for a few days but then get buried and forgotten so it’s harder to refer back to links and information in them.

• tehfish says:

I’ll try to post a better reply on the forum when i get time, but my current setup is on an ‘everything including the kitchen sink’ resonant rise 3 pack.
          link to resonant-rise.com

In regards to running a server, be aware such heavily modded packs have considerable hardware requirements.
          Mine pretty much maxes out a phenom II x2 555 @4ghz, 4gb ram and a SSD and i’m only catering for at most 5 players…

• TeeJay says:

Thanks for the reply.

My experience this summer was playing through Agrarian Skies (the original 1.6.4 modpack) using the Feed The Beast launcher.

I have now messed aroudn a bit with the latest FTB Infinity 1.7.10 modpack but I have already realised I want to add and tweak stuff (for example adding on Hunger Overhaul and TiC Iguana Tweaks) because I have got used to them from Agrarian Skies but they aren’t in Infinity, so I have downloaded MultiMC and am now working out how to put together my own ‘kitchen-sink pack’. Right now I think I am going to base it on Resonant Rise rather than Infinity as that seems to have the largest range of mods, but I am still a bit unsure about matching up coreMods, configs, forge versions etc and which mods impact on worldgen – all those kinds of issues. In fact I am still just in the process of making a shopping list of mods I’d like to try out – I never realised that there are literally *hundreds* of 1.7.10 mods available – and also working out what order/procedure to use when adding them.

• PseudoKnight says:

I run a 1.8.8 Spigot server with tons of custom functionality, but no client side mods. A friend runs the community’s custom pack modded server. Might be worth waiting for 1.9 Forge + Sponge.

• TeeJay says:

What version is the custom pack modded server using? It seems that most mods are currently focussed on 1.7.10 and aiming to skip 1.8.x in favour of 1.9 for their next generation.

I get the impression that for people focussed more on long-term worlds with large-scale builds and infrastructure then longevity is a big issue. However if the focus is adventure and pushing through to a tech or magic or mob-boss ‘end-game’ or about hardcore survival/combat or about progressing through a quest-driven modpack then the time-frame is shorter and periodic server resets actually make sense – or have I got this wrong?

• PseudoKnight says:

That’s fairly accurate. Many mod authors chose to skip 1.8 because of the many internal changes with little benefit, and probably some wait-and-see. With each update taking longer and longer, a modded server on 1.9 is looking good, though. I like the changes to resource packs.

Our sister modded server was running 1.7.10. They recently decided to go retro for a while, though, with Tekkit Classic on 1.2.5. heh

• brucethemoose says:

Minecraft Unabridged (a good “sandbox” pack) and Beyond Reality Divergence (a heavily tweaked, research based pack) are my favorite packs atm. They just have a better selection of mods than anything else, IMHO.

Resonant Rise is pretty good because the pack is so customizable. You can just handpick the mods you want in ATLauncher and post share codes to give everyone else the same mods/con figs. It’s missing a few of the newer mods, but it’s still a good pack.

I’m not a fan of FTB Infinity.

• brucethemoose says:

Yes, but nothing kids will really miss.

3. Barberetti says:

Ah, Windows 10 only.

I’m safe.

4. Xzi says:

Thank god for not being a parent. I can only stomach maybe 30 minutes of Minecraft at a time any more.