Procedural Lovely Landscapes: Panoramical Next Week

Lovely lovely.

I’ve seen Panoramical [official site] at a fair few events over the years (including some I was involved with) and always been entranced by its morphing landscapes and soundtrack. It’s a… thing where you fiddle with parameters to influence procedural stylised landscapes and music, going from quiet, murky waters to glorious rainbow skies and bouncy good times. Seeing as I have no events on the horizon, I’m delighted that it’s finally coming out – on September 17th. Here, watch this pretty trailer:

Lovely that, innit? Panoramical’s made by Fernando Ramallo and David Kanaga, the music man who tickled our ears in Proteus. Yes, all you do is fiddle with different landscapes and scenes and music and scene, changing colours and sizes and shapes and goodness knows what else. It is great. It’s all skies and mountains and waves and ice and cities and concrete and trees and dreams and yes I like it. You can go hog wild making everything flashy and exciting, but I once happily spent ten minutes perfecting an eerie deep sea scene with just the right amount of weed.

When I’ve seen it before, it’s been played on a MIDI mixer fiddling with the knobs and sliders, but it’ll also work with game pads and mouse and keyboard. It’ll be on Windows and Mac.

Here, check out these two brief fiddlings with scenes:

[Disclosure: a former flatmate and fellow member of The Wild Rumpus has contributed a scene to Panoramical, a pretty cool Brutalist estate. I also once had a breakfast with folks including David Kanaga, where I was quite tired and mostly became cross about the concept of brunch and ‘doing brunch’ – hey, try waking up earlier and having breakfast, brunch doesn’t make you daring or cosmopolitan.]

1. Ross Angus says:

This looks great, in a post-Jeff Minter way. Also, Alice does the best disclaimers.

2. TheAngriestHobo says:

“I once happily spent ten minutes perfecting an eerie deep sea scene with just the right amount of weed.”

Maybe it’s something about the aesthetics of this game, but I completely misinterpreted this sentence.

Serrit says:

I had to check to make sure someone had made a comment along these lines, otherwise I’d feel obliged to roll one of my own.

3. Kefren says:

I can see myself creating my own Oorx landing scene whilst trying to prevent Blood from tripping too much.

• MrThingy says:

Oh I so much want a remake of that game… done by Frenchies, as they do that wierdness best. And get Jean Michelle Jarre back for the soundtrack.

4. Viroso says:

Wow what did brunches ever do to you?

5. Kefren says:

Where I come from we have dinner, not lunch. So Brinner? Or dreakfast?

6. Niko says:

That looks amazing! I wonder if I’ll be able to play it with my synth.

7. Fiatil says:

This looks like it will be fantastic with “just the right amount of weed”.

I say that in the best way; I now want to buy 10 copies.

8. Geebs says:

Graphics are rather lovely, but Kanaga’s fussy ambience is so completely opposed to my taste that I’m not sure I could appreciate the whole package.

syllopsium says:

oh so pretty, but the main trailer – my eyes! my ears! Make it stop!

Reminds me a little of the Luminati DOS demo from years back that I was recently pointed at (link to youtube.com). Don’t know how well it’d run in DOSBox, though, and watching it in Youtube isn’t the same.

• Niko says:

Oh gosh, I loved this one. I barely recall that it pushed the capabilities of PCs of the day.