Sayonara UmiharaKawase’s Boingy Grappling Line

Looks a bit crabby - because it is actually a crab.

Grappling hooks are the single greatest tool a video game can have, right? What could be more fun than swinging around a level with gay abandon, turning excluding architecture into a playground? The answer is: an elastic grappling line which also boings you around.

Sayonara UmiharaKawase [official site] sees a young sushi chef platforming around with her trusty fishy rod, latching the hook onto levels and swinging on a rubber line to pull off some pretty swish movement tricks. Following a Vita release earlier in the year, it’s swinging by here in October. Check out these moves from the Vita version:

The series has been running for twenty years, but I must say this is the first I’ve heard of it. Think of all the years I wasted not boinging on fishing lines. The line tricks to loop up and over obstacles or simply move faster look delightful, and make me realise this may be the closest I’ll get to the Trine spin-off starring its swinging thief that I’ve always wanted.

Sayonara UmiharaKawase will cost £10.99/14,99€/$14.99. The PC version is “Completely optimised for PC,” say publishers Agatsuma Entertainment. They’ve also announced plans to release UmiharaKawase and UmiharaKawase Shun, the first two games from the series, on PC later this year.

Don’t mind that messy screenshot up top – it’s from the Vita version too.

1. Dances to Podcasts says:

I was hoping Sayonara UmiharaKawase’s Boingy Grappling Line would be the actual full title of the game. Wouldn’t be unusual, considering how the Japanese name things. :)

2. Turkey says:

Hey. I played a Japanese rom of the SNES version of this back in the day. It’s an excellent little puzzle platformer.

The original theme song is evil, though. I still find myself humming it occasionally.

3. Eight Rooks says:

And yet another Japanese port I’d never have seen coming. Yeah, it’s a wonderful little series and something very much worth celebrating. I’d say don’t mind the screenshot simply given that it’s really not about the visuals anyway – you occasionally see the “boingy grappling line” held up in articles, opinion pieces etc. as an example of an fantastic gameplay mechanic far too few people know about.

• Eight Rooks says:

EDIT: Oh, and it’s a long time since I played any of them, but from what I remember I’m pretty sure it’s much, much better than any of the Trine games. (And I like the Trine games.)

4. wilynumber13 says:

Wow, this is just about the last obscure Japanese release I would have ever expected to see pop up on PC. Don’t let the goofy graphics fool you, this game (and its predecessors) are really, really good.

5. JimmyG says:

I got to see somebody playing an SNES import from this series in Melbourne, Australia, a couple of years ago. It was like a 16-bit Miyazaki movie.