Ship-Shape: Battlefleet Gothic – Armada In-Game Trailer

I’m taking a break from a preview build of Blood Bowl II to write about Battlefleet Gothic: Armada [official site]. It’s a Games Workshop kinda day on my computer while a blistering sun beats down on grimdark Salford just outside the window to my right. I’ve already written a big preview of what you can expect from the tactical battles of Battlefleet, as well as some of the sinister features of fleet and crew management, but this is your first chance to see in-game footage of the mighty cathedral-ships There’s a brief glimpse at the vessels warped by the Marks of Chaos at the end as well .

As well as showing the glorious ships as they punch one another with guns, this is one of those useful trailers that actually describes what the game contains and how it works. For those who cannot or will not listen right now, here’s the info in brief straight from Focus.

“Featuring many different game modes including dramatic battles in both single and multiplayer, against players and the AI, and a full single-player campaign pitting you against Abaddon the Despoiler, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada will have you unlocking and upgrading the ships in your fleet as well as specializing the captains that helm them, each with their own behaviors.

“Featuring an ambitious campaign against Abaddon the Despoiler, command the Imperium fleet throughout the Gothic sector, securing systems and making choices that will affect the story along the way. In the campaign, you’ll meet – and perhaps more! – the Eldar, and the enigmatic Space Marines as you try to vanquish the sector of Chaos influence.”

I want it. Do I want it more than Man O’ War: Corsair? I think so, although that’s because of the potential for horrors, executions and disobedience in the fleet management as for the ships themselves. A world in which I can play great digital versions of Gothic and Man O’ War would be ideal.

And how about those Chaos vessels? Retweet for Khorne, Favourite for Nurgle, Like for Slaanesh and Subscribe for Tzeentch.

1. Syra says:

I think they missed the opportunity to make Slaanesh ships giant space dildos.

• GernauMorat says:

“It looks,” she snorted, “like a dildo!”

“That’s appropriate,” Curt Lyne said. “Armed, it can fuck solar systems.”

Shamelesly stolen from Iain M. Banks

2. latedave says:

Ok now I’m excited…

3. SamLR says:

Sob quietly for Squats?

4. Chiron says:

I want to play this so fucking badly… always wanted to get into BFG but never managed to get around to it before the ships reached insane prices.

It’s looking good so far, hopefully they won’t fuck it up.

5. Shadow says:

It’s official. Colour me excited: bright orange. With flames.

Jerodar says:

There’s even a flash of an Ork ship at the end, sweet!

• Wowbagger says:

I thought Ork canon was that they just nicked floating hulks/rocks and smashed in to other worlds? Or has that been ret-conned?

Al__S says:

Gothic came out in 1999 with Orks as a fleet in the core game, with metal minatures, so any retcon was done then. Two distinct Ork fleets- the Pirates and the Waaaaagh, the latter (added later) getting Hulks.

It’s a good table top game, nice momentum-based mechanics and with the Imperial Navy and Chaos fleets very much designed to work like Napoleonic ships-of-the-line. The Imperial and Chaos plastic capital ships were of a neat modular kit design.

• NonCavemanDan says:

Orks do have traditional ships alongside the Spacehulks and Roks that they’re famous for. Their ships are not very…subtle (they generally have a silly amount of armour on the prow, have more forward facing gunz than you can shake a squig at and even their little escort ships can produce a serious amount of damage when they ram).

• Holderist says:

Sweet, I was going to ask if I could play as the Space Orks.

7. Sardonic says:

Wow they totally ripped off part of the GUI from Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, and I am totally OK with that.

• GWOP says:

If only they had gone a bit further and included movement in all 3 axes as well.

8. Bishop149 says:

Good lord it actually looks like it might be as awesome as it should be. Tentatively excited. . .

KILLFRENZY, KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY,KILLFRENZY . . . . . .

9. mgardner says:

You tease! Tell us more about BB2, please.

10. Jackablade says:

Sla-neesh? Really? You’d think some time in the couple of decades since I first played 40k, someone might have corrected me on that.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

Pff, I’m with you Slaa-NESH for squidgy, sticky life!

11. vahnn says:

No Tyranid hive fleets? =\

• Zekiel says:

I think they’d run into the same problem you had in Dawn of War 2 – i.e. to have any semblance of appropriateness they’d basically outnumber everything else 100 to 1 and the fight would be over as soon as they arrived.

• Harmless Sponge says:

I think you’re right, though IIRC it was in one of the Ultramarines novels where there was an extended fleet action against a Nid Hive Fleet, which went “OK”… (lots of people died).

12. Volcanu says:

This is looking promising i must say.

2 small gripes:

1) The speed of movement, torpedoes and other weapons looks a little quicker than I imagined them to be. I think Homeworld really nailed these “pace” aspects, with big ships feeling like ponderous behemoths. Would be cool to have the chance to shoot down torpedos with fighter screens etc, but they look a bit to rapid at present.

2) Ramming could do with more weight. I dont think ships should bounce off each other, the connection should be massive and with the weight of a starship behind it vessels should either scrape along each other (gouging out chunks and dents) or smash a huge breach in the rammed ship. Would be cool to see the prow embedded in a massive hull breach, thrusters reversing to disengage with flaming debris and crewmen drifting into the void as you struggle free…

• Harmless Sponge says:

#2 was my exact thought there, they aren’t bumper cars for christ sake!

I’d add it feels a little close in, the distances are meant to be massive no? Might not work for making the game playable/enjoyable I guess.

13. Koshelkin says:

Now I just need faithful Necromunda and Epic adaptions and I got everything I ever wanted regarding Warhammer games.

14. Kollega says:

*sees headline* *looks at the screenshots and trailer* Holy ship, this looks ridiculous.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Oh yes, it’s the newest Tzeentchsation from Games Workshop.

• pepperfez says:

Ah, here’s the inevitable khorney pun thread. I was getting worried.

15. manio22 says:

I think i came a little…

16. Kong says:

Wow.
    What happens if you disable the ship’s stands? Do they lose their floating ability and sink below the surface of space?

17. Sacarathe says:

Did the narrator say “warp out”? Warp out with what? Necrons been sharing their tech and I haven’t hurt? Mechanicus breaking the laws of GW Lore?

For me staying true to the lore is the most important thing for a warhammer computer game, that said, if the gameplay is okay, I might still buy.

To the commenter above I thought the same about the ships:

link to dirkloechel.deviantart.com

Well, I see ships in that trailer (relative to each other’s size) moving (and more importantly manoeuvring reaction times) at speeds far exceeding other franchises who’s idea of a capital Is somewhere around the length of a lance or some of the larger ship’s bridges.

Hopefully there will be a shower, more total war naval combat speed of gameplay.

That trailer above lacked gravitas, a 8000metre long ship should tremble!

• Darth Gangrel says:

“Hopefully there will be a shower” Yes, we need more showers in games, especially Warhammer ones. The orks might not care about how they smell, but what about the other races?

18. Method says:

Stoked for this one, but I still would prefer turn-based!

19. smr1973 says:

Finally, a cap-ship space sim that seems to show the visual impact of damage in a good way (yeah, yeah, fire wouldn’t really persist like that in space, but you get what I mean).

Not gonna lie, I would KILL to see, like, a Starfleet Command IV covering all of the original Star Trek series’ and movie ships with this engine.