It’s Avive! VR-Focused Garry’s Mod Sequel Confirmed

VR almost certainly needs a killer app if it’s to spread beyond monied game-fans. Facebook have probably got something up their sleeves for that there Oculus Rift, but as for the Vive, I do wonder if Garry Newman’s talk of a VR-focused follow-up to his monster-selling Garry’s Mod [official site] could be the mega-toy it needs.

Newman spilled the beans in an interview with PCGamesN about the making of his Source-based creativity toy, which is now a frightening 11 years-old. It’s sold six million copies, most of which were in the second half of its life, and doesn’t appear to be going away any time soon.

“We wouldn’t raise the price now, I mean we’re kind of working on a sequel, so it’d be stupid to the raise the price, really,” Newman revealed. He didn’t go much into detail, as “it’s early days”, but did suggest it won’t be a straight sequel.

“We’re looking at having more VR stuff in it – that’s the big point of it. And it won’t be called Garry’s Mod 2.”

Garry-who-made-Rust’s Mod 2 it is, then.

1. Not_Id says:

Remember when Garry Newman called most of us “cunts”?

“Valve broke the modding community… by revealing that most of them are cunts.”
    link to mobile.twitter.com

Not a nice chap really.

• MistaJah says:

Steve Jobs was a bit of a dick too.

• Pich says:

Why should I care? I’m playing his game, not having a dinner with him.

• Clavus says:

Having been around the Facepunch community since forever… it’s because he’s incredibly no-nonsense. The uproar around paid mods was overblown as fuck.

• Distec says:

There’s a lot of anger getting confused here.

Yes, there certainly were people who went into a seething rage over the mere idea of priced mods. There was also plenty of completely justifiable anger at the way the system was thoughtlessly rolled out. There were so many broken, incomplete mods being charged for with no guarantees of compatibility with other mods, no promise of future support, and no checks in place to even ensure a mod uploader was the legitimate author. Valve’s approach of just letting the community “deal with it” was going to be a recipe for disaster. You can argue that modders have every right to charge money for their dinky fishing mod, but users also had every reason to discourage this particular system from taking off. Most of the stuff being sold were shit value propositions. I’d gladly pay money for a GMod or BM:S, but not game tweaks or armor sets you need to load using the console. People with a history of using mods may be more discerning and have the patience/understanding to navigate these issues, but Valve was pushing this on the front of Steam’s store page to millions of users.

So it’s a shame to see Garry largely reduce this to some “fear of change” bullshit (Lord, I am tired of that accusation in so much of gaming these days). The furor over the issue wouldn’t have gotten so big if Valve rolled out their plans with a modicum of sense or foresight. And in the end, it looks like they agreed.

• mrwonko says:

I’m inclined to agree with him though… He put it a bit more eloquently in his blog post, where he had a little more than 140 characters to make his point.

phuzz says:

I’ve met me, he’s right in my case.

2. caff says:

I would totally buy a VR headset and gloves for this. It’s what I’ve always dreamed of.

Wisq says:

I’m curious — what do people actually do in Garry’s Mod?

I know this is a strange question, considering I play it almost nightly. But I only play one mod — a “Garry’s Mod mod”, if you will — known as “Trouble in Terrorist Town”, a sort of murder mystery whodunnit, albeit with the killer(s) still out there trying to kill the investigators.

Do most people play these sorts of mods-within-a-mod? Which ones? Do a lot of people play vanilla? What do they do — do they just muck around with props and have Half-Life characters make weird faces and stuff?

• Xzi says:

Yeah, I think there are quite a few mods like that for Garry’s mod. TTT is what I’ve played primarily, also.

• ZigzagFN57 says:

All of the above, actually.

It just lets people do what they want – and that’s it. That’s why it’s so great. Done and done.

4. Zartux says:

Garry’s Mod does not need a sequel. And if there is a sequel I’m not playing it.

Most likely a troll.