Butz: Final Fantasy V Coming To Steam This Month

As if it weren’t enough that he looks like he’s fallen out of a crappy Newgrounds Flash game in the late nineties, the chap above is called Butz. He’s the star of Final Fantasy V [official site], which will be coming to Steam on September 24th. The “classic 2-D graphics” weren’t classic enough apparently because they’ve been “refined and remodelled”, and the controls have apparently been optimised as well. Based on the 2013 mobile release, the port will also contain an extra area from the 2006 re-release and “the Tetsuya Nomura-designed optional boss Enuo”.

No word on why that guy is called Butz though. The YouTube description refers to him as Bartz.

A quick Wiki search suggests Bartz was “known as Butz Klauser in the RPGe fan translation of the Super Famicom version and the Japanese version of Dissidia Final Fantasy”. And on Steam, apparently. Let’s hope he’s a well-rounded character, eh?

Final Fantasy V is new to me. I spend as much time trying to fill in what I think of as my pop culture blindspots as I do playing games, reading books or watching films that I know I’ll enjoy. It’s why you might find me sitting in front of Man of Steel even though I don’t care about comic book adaptations and have violent reactions to almost everything Zack Snyder has directed. It’s why I’m currently making my way through Star Trek: The Original Series, and it’s why I plan to play through every Final Fantasy game one day.

I don’t care about completing them in release order and I’ve only managed Final Fantasy VII so far (that was way back in 1997) but maybe V will be next? Is it a good Final Fantasy? I tried VIII and hated the characters, the graphics and the magic system. VI seemed fine but didn’t grab me. Will V be the one to spark my interest? The job system certainly sounds more enjoyable than whatever the heck was going on with the junction system in VIII. From what I can gather the jobs allow characters to multi-class, and for each party member to develop as I choose rather than sticking to a specific role, stamped on them by the story.

Is this prime Final Fantasy? Does such a thing even exist? Am I being far too harsh if I say that the character sprites look horrible?

1. Prolar Bear says:

Butz.

2. Eight Rooks says:

The character sprites are apparently lifted from the iOS port, and purists seem to hate those: so I’m not sure about harsh, but you’re certainly not alone.

Never played V, though. The only games worth playing in the franchise for my money are XII, Tactics and TA2 – I tried the opening of VI and it bored me to tears. I got through most of VII years ago, and don’t remember much beyond the broad strokes but I know I wasn’t impressed. I beat VIII and thought it was okay, but nothing special, and I wouldn’t blame anyone for recoiling from it. I played a few hours of IX and again, thought it was all right, but fairly run of the mill. I beat X and thought it was mediocre at best – old-school tedium with a tissue-thin plot that had pretty much nothing to it. Got to the open-world section in the first XIII and thought it was significantly better than people were giving it credit for (X is far worse in many respects) but still, never got round to picking it up on Steam and the criticisms of the sequels (too easy, nonsensical, disturbing emphasis on playing dress-up) mean I’m not holding my breath.

• Jeremy says:

It’s interesting, VI definitely starts off slowly (which I actually kind of enjoy), but it speeds up quite a bit and has some of the better character development in any FF title I’ve played. Easily my favorite traditional Final Fantasy game. FFTactics is still my all time favorite of course.

• honuk says:

if you like Tactics and XII, V is far and away the old FF you’d be most likely to enjoy

3. lowprices says:

You should play Final Fantasy Tactics, Adam. Available on PSP, Vita and IOS. It’s a strategy RPG with a hell of a lot more going on mechanically, with a story that avoids the teenage melodrama of most Final Fantasy games (although the prose gets more than a little purple at times).

• lowprices says:

Of the numbered FF series, 6 is great once you get past the very slow start, 9 has aged the best of PS1 era, and XII is great, but only available on PS2.

• CallMeIshmael says:

It’s worth mentioning that 12 also emulates super well via PCSX2, and it’s my personal favorite Final Fantasy title. Copies should be fairly cheap, too – buy it used for a fiver (USD) off of Amazon.

• Eight Rooks says:

Pretty much all of them apart from the PS3 titles emulate pretty well, AFAIK, if you want to go down that route. Not sure how easy it is to pick up original copies of the PS1 re-releases of the classics, mind.

• Eight Rooks says:

Just in case it needed clarifying: lowprices is referring to Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, the remastering/re-release. New script, new cutscenes, various other tweaks over the PS1 original – there’s really no reason to go back and play that one.

(There are also two more games in that little spin-off franchise – Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA, which was a decent game but had a horrifically cynical story with an ending which was a complete kick in the teeth, and Tactics Advance 2 on the (first) DS which was a lot better, but scaled back the story until it was mostly “Run around battling things”, IIRC.)

• Kaeoschassis says:

I remember quite enjoying the plot in Tactics Advance. TA2 is such a huge improvement mechanically though, so I’m not sure I could bring myself to go play it again just to see.

4. zenmumbler says:

Mega64 made a comedic explanation of all of FF’s quirks in a video starring the director of all the classic ones, Hironobu Sakaguchi.

“The main character’s name is Butts!”

5. lokimotive says:

I played the fan translation while procrastinating in college nearly 15 years ago, and enjoyed it quite a lot. I don’t know how it holds up, but the job system was quite nice, and offered a lot of different approaches. The fact that the character’s name was Butz was as silly then as it is now.

6. mattevansc3 says:

Not a big fan of the super deformed look. I like big Butz and I cannot lie.

7. hemmer says:

COPYPASTA!
    “5 is above average, solid mechanics, fun characters, zany story. Generally a tad more lighthearted in tone than most. I liked it.” – myself

Basically an alright retro JRPG if you’re in for a fun romp.

8. MikoSquiz says:

Honestly, by today’s standards the early Final Fantasies also play like a crappy Newgrounds Flash game. Nostalgia value only.

On the other hand, I entirely second the notion that the Final Fantasy Tactics series is exceptional and definitely worth playing, even if you actively dislike the regular Final Fantasies. I’m just wishing they’d port them to PC. (Besides FFT/WotL, there’s FFT Advance and FFT A2)

• Kaeoschassis says:

To provide a counter-opinion, the early Final Fantasies (the moderately early ones, at least) play wonderfully and are definitely worth your time, but aren’t for everyone. This is coming from somebody who has zero nostalgia for any of them, incidentally, as my first experience with most of them was long, long after release.

FFV is a personal favourite. Decent characters and a fair plot, neither of which get in the way of the gameplay for too long at any one time. Excellent character development system, metric crapton of content and battles that follow the classic FF difficulty curve and are therefore far too easy at first, but fun later. I’m not holding out a huge amount of hope for this re-release, but there have already been so many, so it doesn’t matter much anyway.

As I said though, the FF series is definitely not for everyone, and if it’s not for you Adam, I wouldn’t suggest forcing it. There are so many great games out there, why play through hours and hours of stuff you aren’t enjoying?

I do agree about VIII though. I never had any love for that one.

• Kaeoschassis says:

OH, I forgot to mention (compulsory grumping about edit feature goes here), if you were finding VI to be alright, you might want to go back to it. It starts out slow as hell, but opens up surprisingly early on into an excellent (and massive) rpg. There’s a surprising degree of customization later, too, though not quite to the same extent as V.

9. wilynumber13 says:

Well, V is the single best Final Fantasy from a gameplay standpoint, it’s just a shame that PC players are stuck with these godawful graphics from the iOS version.

• Xerophyte says:

I played through the Android version earlier this year. The upscaled sprites are … not great, especially for the main characters. Still, most of the monster graphics are fine and I have a certain fondness for Amano’s portraits. The man can only really draw terrifying flesh monsters and David Bowie, but he truly makes the best of the hand life dealt him.

The job system is the same on any platform and is what makes FF5 possibly my favoritest finalest fantasy. It’s not going to win over anyone who hates jRPG gameplay in general but provided you have some fondness for the genre then FF5 is a great game to figure out, to break over your knee, to do ridiculous challenge runs in, etc. It’s a pity they didn’t manage to release in time for this year’s Four Job Fiesta, but I suppose you can’t get everything.

10. Viroso says:

FFV is one of the best in the series. Play it trying to master every job though, else the game becomes boring. Really wish they’d do a remake for it like III and IV. V would be so good redone by Matrix.

11. ryanrybot says:

Not much love for FF8, huh? It must have been my favourite after FF6. Sure the Draw system was not as well thought out as Materia in 7, but the junctioning system was actually quite well done and added a layer of depth that I wish was in more games in the series.

• mattevansc3 says:

FF8 lacked in character and plot and the combat was boring as hell.

The junctioning system wasn’t that great as you had to use your spell draws to boost the summon/junctioned stats which made the use of magic pointless and detrimental.

• ryanrybot says:

That’s what I liked about the junction system. In battle you had to decide whether or not to use your magic knowing that your stats would be taking a hit if you did. It gave you incentive to junction magic properly so your weapons and armour would be more effective, instead of just spamming magic everywhere.
        Mind you I also like FF2’s leveling system, so my opinion my be invalid. :P

• Ejia says:

The draw/junction system was an annoyance. Squall, doubly so. The music, however, blows most of its predecessors out of the water.

Aerothorn says:

FF8 is the best FF, partially because it throws at least half of the series’ sacred cows overboard, which was a very brave and necessary thing to do after 7. It’s also the only one in the series that treats its teenage protagonists like teenagers.

And also, as noted above, best music.

• Eight Rooks says:

Sadly it left all the most significant sacred cows in places: dumb Hero’s Journey plotting, nonsensical worldbuilding, dull turn-based combat, truckloads of busywork… oh, and an almost complete lack of any real characterisation. While my memories of being a teenager are fading pretty rapidly into the distance, I’m pretty sure they involved more than just sullen silence, overblown melodrama and “I’m scared of being alone”, no matter what bad writers would like anyone over 25 to believe.

• draglikepull says:

FF8 has the best characters, world, and story of the Final Fantasy games, but the draw system is an enormous and boring time-sink.

12. Ejia says:

Oh I enjoyed V a lot. It refined the job system that showed up in III and it’s a lot of fun mixing and matching jobs/commands. It also is where Clash on the Big Bridge first showed up, which is the best battle theme in the entire series and I will fight you if you say otherwise. Fight you like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men.

But I’m still waiting for that 3D remake that happened to III and IV. And hoping that it will happen for both V and VI.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’ve been hoping and praying and occasionally yelling angrily for VI to get the same remake treatment and yes, now you mention it, please give it to V as well. Unfortunately, think of the huge number of player models each would need. Not sure I see it happening anytime soon.

And yes, as much as I’d love to MORPH IN to an eight-armed monstrosity and fight you to the strains of the greatest battle track in the history of the series… well, it is, isn’t it?

13. RedMagicks says:

I recommend picking up the GBA version. It contains all the extra content and doesn’t look like it was made with RPG Maker. FFVs deep character customization and abundance of secrets will keep you up at night.

14. TheManfromAntarctica says:

Square Enix seems to give little love to FF9 – it is never mentioned, no PC port, no HD remake, nothing. Why is this? I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who loved it on PS1.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I adored IX, and I guess I probably still do, although it’s been awhile. I can definitely see why it might not have been as successful as a lot of the others, though. No matter what its detractors (myself sometimes included) might say, FF as a series has always tried to break new ground or at least do SOMETHING new or different. IX’s entire thing was that it was retro as hell, and this was long before the current fads for doing exactly that.

• GWOP says:

Don’t worry, I played it recently, and it definitely holds up.

• Merlin the tuna says:

I remember hearing that the reason FF9 never got updated/re-released/whatever is that Square just straight-up lost all the source code for it. I don’t remember where or when I heard that, but it does sync up with how badly games are maintained & archived in the industry.

15. MadTinkerer says:

“No word on why that guy is called Butz though.”

In the Himalasian language, “Adam Smith” translates as something like “Post Earior”. This won’t be funny until you visit Himalasia in 2017, where you visit Himalasia and the Himalasian ambassador will burst out laughing and ask if you are serious about your name.

16. ansionnach says:

(Long story, short: if looking for some decent JRPGs, play Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, The World Ends with You and perhaps the first Phantasy Star on the Master System. Maybe Final Fantasies III and V as well.)

Resolved to finish all the Final Fantasies after playing FFVII. Made great progress straight away and flew through the three NES games (originals, not remakes). Of those:

FF: Can only save in inns, I think. Tedious and grindy. One of the most painful games I ever finished, it’s also quite brutal. Not recommended.

FFII: Has an interesting skill system where you get better at things by doing. Like various Elder Scrolls games, it’s very easy to abuse. They got more story-oriented here, although it doesn’t intrude terribly on gameplay. It’s passable but I wouldn’t really recommend it.

FFIII: This one’s great. My favourite. Introduced the job system. It’s great!

I really faltered at FFIV. It’s terrible. Terrible, trite storytelling with the plot playing musical chairs with all your characters so you’ll have to readjust several times over a few hours. Game design is also plain mean, with several instances of unflagged bosses pouncing on you right after a boss fight (three in a row one time). Only way to find out if your done is to see if the dungeon escape item or spell works. This is the worst one I’ve played. Stopped my FF playing quest for over ten years because I hated this one so much. Got through it by running from all battles and only playing bosses. The game’s so ridiculously easy that I only grinded once. To survive the last boss all you characters need a minimum amount of HP to survive a certain attack that’s spammed at you. Tried so many strategies, but unlike many other bosses there was no trick – the last boss was just a big, dumb slog of a fight.

FFV: I’m on this one now so can’t say too much. Has the job system and I understand that it’s improved over number three. The game lets you get on with playing it instead of intruding on you all the time with stupid story and plot crap that seems to have been written by an imbecile. Doesn’t take itself too seriously and moves at a fair clip, which is important for a JRPG (or else… I’ll probably hate it).

FFVI: I’ve only played a bit of the start and I’m not that impressed. It may get better but I’m concerned that the game might continue the annoying plot intrusiveness developed in FFII, FFIV and exhibited strongly in VII and VIII.

FFVII: Loved this when I first played it… but I had little sense of perspective. It’s very easy, the plot’s terrible and it’s just a bad game. Big surprise of the plot is terrible writing – developing an impossibly perfect, beautiful, angelic character and… it had been done before in Phantasy Star IV (if not even earlier in), but more adroitly.

FFVIII: Thought this was an improvement over VII, but only because it had level scaling so the game didn’t get insanely easy if you were a completist. Characters and plot are terrible. Spoony’s videos on this one are hilarious.

FFIX: Barely played, my sister quite liked it and she’s more of an expert on the games from 4-9.

I have pretty much zero interest in the games that followed, but…

FFX: Barely played. Seems terrible, walking down corridors and fighting monsters. Main character is a tool.

FFX-2: Watched Spoony’s videos on this and they were great. At least the game gave us something!

FFXII: Plays like an offline MMO. No thanks!

Angstsmurf says:

I played through I to VI, and actually preferred the first one as it had the least of the ridiculous cutscenes and dialogue. It only went downhill from there. I thought that I just didn’t like JRPGs until I played Chrono Trigger and found that I actually enjoyed the cutscenes and storytelling.

• ansionnach says:

The NES version of the first one? I found myself oddly compelled to pass through the valley of pain to finish that one and not fall at the first hurdle. I’m sure the later versions are far less brutal, although it’s such a simple game that making it too easy might mean it ends up worse!

Think I can get where you’re coming from, though. The first, third and fifth games were more focused on creating your own characters and leaving you to it (although III and V have some interruptions). I can respect the first game for not suffering from the series’ greatest issue: its self-importance and faith in its terrible writing. Still couldn’t recommend it. Of the big long-running JRPG series, (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star), Phantasy Star has by far the strongest first game. It’s still excellent and very playable… and may be one of the few JRPGs that could actually qualify as a “real” RPG. Has first-person dungeons with some nice scrolling for the time. You don’t need to do this but I found it easier to map out the dungeons on squared paper. Story is a bit of a surprise as well. Phantasy Star series is great. Second one is mightily grindy and you can only save in save buildings in certain towns, but I’ve finished all the others, including the surprisingly-good-and-actually-true-to-the-series black sheep, PSIII. They’re all on Steam except for the Master System one. They’re also in the Mega Drive collection volume five. The fourth one of those has loads of good games as well, the first one a few. The others are mainly filler. They can all be gotten together but the price might be stubbornly high.

• Det. Bullock says:

The Phantasy Star series is my holy grail of Sega Master System and Mega Drive collecting (as in “getting the titles I really want to play” collecting rather than “fill my shelf” collecting), until now I limited myself to cheaper titles but sooner or later I should really get around to it.

• ansionnach says:

I’m sure you’re aware that a lot of PAL games were slowed down to 5/6 speed because of lazy 60Hz -> 50Hz conversions… so the US versions are often better to get (unless you speak Japanese). Best of luck, I’d rank the first and fourth entries as top JRPGs. If you keep your expectations low you might find PS3 a lot better than people say it is, although you need patience at the start. It really is too bad that more games didn’t copy its fast-forward-enabled battle system. PS2 doesn’t need me to speak for it seeing as it’s often ranked as the best in the series. I can’t say why, but perhaps with more perseverance I might be able to get past its grindiness.

Considering some of these games go for high enough prices, I wouldn’t be so sure about buying on ebay. I’d guess there are a lot of fakes. Same goes for Amazon. Easier to copy but I got a counterfeit KotOR2 from Amazon and while I eventually managed to convince them to give me a refund for returning it, they didn’t seem pushed that a seller was possibly having a bit of a laugh with a CD duplicator and a printer. Perhaps I’d have been fooled if a friend didn’t already have a genuine version of the game from the exact same print run.

Best of luck in your quest!

• Kitsunin says:

XII is actually my personal favorite out of the whole series. It might look vaguely like an MMO but its combat plays out like good ol’ ATB with some minor positional elements slipped in, and a pretty deep AI programming system which mostly serves to make the “trash” encounters far more interesting.

Its story is steeped in political drivel, but it had a fair few good characters unlike VII/VIII/X, I’d rate its story just below IX’s.

• ansionnach says:

Couldn’t possibly comment – my views on some of the games are based on very little as I’ve said. Looked back and this should have been stated for XII as well. Was turned off the series completely by X. It was probably about time they tried something new by XII anyway – the JRPG has been stuck in a time warp since the very first games ripped off and dumbed down Ultima III, then mixed it with animé and trite storytelling. I would suspect that XII is better than the other single-player games since X, but that’d be mainly on word of mouth and what I’ve read in reviews. Really should have written more about XII originally and explained that I feel I may well have not given it a fair shake – apologies. If I ever get through to IX, I’ll skip the others and give XII another look.

• Eight Rooks says:

The automation in FFXII is one of the few real revolutionary design decisions the genre has ever had – I don’t agree that any of the other games do anything to truly stand out from each other. Line-dancing in 3/4 time or 4/4 time, as it were, it’s still line-dancing. There is no merit whatsoever to having to thumb through the menus yourself to do the same actions by rote for every god damned random encounter. (I’ve seen FFX hailed as tactical, challenging and involving, so people clearly feel differently, but I have no idea what game they were playing.) FFXII should have been hailed as one of the most important games ever created for daring to say “This is dumb, and if you enjoy it, you’re kidding yourself”. Not to mention it still allowed you to do these things by hand if, y’know, you just can’t stop kidding yourself.

(And hey, Suikoden tried this with the auto command, so it’s not like the concept should be completely anathema – but that franchise still half-assed it, given the auto option can’t do a great many things you’ll frequently need to finish battles quickly/efficiently.)

• ansionnach says:

Didn’t get into it enough to appreciate this. Fast-forwarding or letting battles play out is a very important thing to allow players do in games with plenty of trash encounters. Another solution is rare or avoidable trash (Chrono). As I said, I may get the chance to give the game another shot when I’ve run out but I didn’t like the MMO-ness of it all. Felt a similar antipathy towards it as I did with Xenoblade Chronicles. I have always found the combat in Fallout to be tiresome because it drags you into prolonged and uninteresting turn-based combat (as opposed to interesting and worthwhile turn-based combat).

I liked the automation in Phantasy Star III. Kept me playing in the early stages when the game was at its worst. It’s simplistic but it’s a good solution to all the repetitive battling of many of these games: you select what all your characters do and fast-forward the game. Pressing a button interrupts and allows you to input new commands. There was something similar in Phantasy Star II, but without the fast forward. Can’t exactly remember but perhaps PSIV might be similar to II? Played that one first!

I hear what you’re saying about the other games being variations on the exact same thing. I do think that there’s plenty to make the games stand out from each other, though. The job system lets you play the game how you like since you can change character class whenever you have enough whatever-it-is. Some of the games have less intrusive story lines. The fourth one (which I hated) usually had some sort of trick to defeat the bosses, meaning you could beat them at almost any level. Pretty much everything that game did from a game design point of view was hateful and an attempt to wrong-foot and kill you, though. The first FF lets you pick your character classes and go on an adventure without disrupting you too much. It and the third one are the only I’ve completed that I would describe as difficult, although the first one was stupidly NES hard, which was and is bad game design. There were games from that era that are still very well-designed today, even in terms of fair difficulty (e.g. the Ultimas other than II and Metal Gear and its sequel Solid Snake on the MSX).

• Ejia says:

Alys>Aerith. It has always been so.

• ansionnach says:

All hail Alys! PSIV is a superb game – perhaps it’s better than Chrono? I’m not sure, but it’s about time I at least suggested it!

17. valrus says:

FF5 might be my favorite, actually. It’s got a lot of charm.

I rather like the lack of overblown story and serious characters; like FF9 it’s a bit of a breath of fresh air in a series that can sometimes be overwritten. You’ve got a battle system that gives you a lot of variety and doesn’t try to stop you from utilizing it. And the map gets a neat twist halfway through, at least to me.

One under-appreciated thing about the older Final Fantasies was how fast battles went. An entire battle in FF5 would easily fit in an opening cinematic or a summon in FF7 and beyond. (Not all the remakes have preserved this; some of them I remember being slow. Which is a shame; grindy bits aren’t so tedious when battles only last 15 seconds or so.)

Oh, and yes, you are not being too harsh to say that those sprites look horrible. The original sprites were nice; even if you don’t have a soft spot for that era, at least they’re a stylistic match for the rest of the pixel work.

18. JustAchaP says:

They look like Lemmings

19. racccoon says:

Hmmm possible try

20. The_Sleeve says:

Well that’s a damn shame. The game will include localization in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Russian. Notice anything missing??? Japanese, anybody? SERIOUSLY? The game was originally released exclusively in Japan, and now they make a PC port and they don’t even include Japanese as one of the language options. What a missed opportunity.

I played a lot of Final Fantasy games in both Japanese and English and I always felt like the English translations were poor and missed a lot of the nuance of the originals, so I prefer to play them in Japanese wherever possible. Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to go back to playing the original ROM on my emulator… :(

• Kaeoschassis says:

The english version of FFV is quite possibly my favourite of the extended series in terms of writing, characterization, plot, everything. And I’m not JUST talking about the occasional references to what could generously be called pop culture. Although those are fab.

Can’t read japanese. Did it skip out on some of the complexity? Probably. Very few things of any level of depth can be translated without losing something. But it’s still brilliant in english.

I will agree that it being good in english is no excuse to miss out a japanese localisation of an originally japanese game, if that is indeed the case here.

In closing I’d like to address two other completely unrelated points because it’s half past three in the morning and I can’t be bothered finding somewhere more appropriate;

A- Haven’t seen any bots hanging around the comments in awhile. Good job RPS team! I’d high-five whoever’s responsible if I could. Unless… everyone here is a bot?

B- I’m very ill. Someone give me a hug.

• The_Sleeve says:

The ones that stick out in my mind mostly are FF6 and FF7. I’ve played both of them in English first, since I grew up in the US, and then I played them in Japanese after living in Japan for a while. I think the Japanese language has a lot of subtlety in the way that individuals address each other and use radically different speech patterns depending on the respective “rank” of the people involved in the conversation. Talking “up” to a superior, for example, sounds completely different than talking “down” to a subordinate. So, that’s part of it. There are also little bits of humor that don’t make it through, although they’re not really related to pop culture. I guess I’m just upset that Japanese language versions are typically not included in PC ports and it seems like it would be the easiest thing in the world to do. I guess the big shots don’t expect customers to be multi-lingual.

Coincidentally, I’m also sick, although not as bad as you, from the sound of it. I just have a common cold, so I’m playing video games and sipping red wine with a blanket wrapped around me. Spelunky is a wonderful game to play when you’re under the weather.

Here, have a virtual hug! *Hug*