Rocket League Patch Kicks Off Ranked Season

The 1.05 Rocket League [official site] patch has hit meaning the first season of ranked play has officially begun AND you PC players can now eliminate PS4 players (Rocketeers?) from your matches.

Skimming through the patch notes the ranked stuff is the biggest news (although I am unsure whether I will be coming within 50 feet of it until I work out how to deal with 3d space better in this game). The PS4 stuff is an online play update which adds the option for PC players to filter Playstation 4 players out of matchmaking searches.

Rankings are based on rank points which you gain or lose based on player skill rating, teammate skill and opponent skill. You;ll get assigned a ranking based on your pre-season skill rating if you participated in that. Not sure what happens if you didn’t participate but I’d assume it puts you in the unranked division and you work your way up from there. Gaining 100 of those rank points pushes you into the next division but dipping below 0 points puts you back down a division. Platinum is the highest and means you’re one of the top 100 players. There’s no actual end date set at the moment but season 1 will last a few months.

But what else? Well, you can read the full patch notes here but here’s a thing that stood out to me:

You can now adorn your antenna with a range of new community and country flags (community is stuff like the MLG or Razer branding). I confess I wasn’t aware of “Puntland” before and wondered if it was a reference to punting the ball and thus the pitch was Puntland. It’s actually a region of Northern Somalia which has declared itself an autonomous state. Apparently the name is based on that of an old kingdom, which may have been located in the same area and traded with Egypt, called the Land of Punt. The flag’s one I rather like the look of:

Apparently the top stripe is taken from the flag of Somalia, the middle one is for peace and stability and the green one symbolises natural wealth.

Oh dear. I’m going to spend the rest of the day looking at flags, aren’t I?

1. ikehaiku says:

Just curious, as I didn’t follow RL “meta/scene” since a few weeks: what’s the reason behind the “filter PS4 players out”? Is it because of servers issues (lag maybe?), maybe controls issue? I do not thing it’s a “We PC master race can’t be bothered with the consoles plebe” thing?

• NZLion says:

I have the same question. I can understand filtering them out of shooters, but for something like Rocket League, surely it’s just better to have more players for matchmaking?

• bananomgd says:

I prefer to play with PC players, usually. Mostly because of text chat, but I have no issue at all with playing with PS4 players. Cross platform works great. Is there a way to play with a specific person on PS4 ?

• WdMeaun says:

Yea, I wouldnt know.. Never been a console owner..
          Sometimes the rare guy using mic is annoying.. but I seldomly encounter voice chatters.
          Last time racist fellow countrymen were using voicechat, but I dropped those lowclass people right after the match ended.

The amount of different thingies to put on your car annoys me.. after I found out that there were actual differences between the cars. (plus that new DLC’s can cause fragmented playerbases; I hope they scrapped that).

I do still like Rocket League a lot.. as long I don’t end up getting matched up with the more dedicated DOTA kind of players. They tend to be big on taunting, which often results in teammates leaving. (either mine or their team, depends who is losing)
          One on one is just too hectic, eventho it can be bloody fun. (you don’t encounter as much skill in team battles)

• bananomgd says:

I’ve never found anybody being rude over voice chat. Over text, I’ve had the odd 12-year old calling us all noobs, but other than that, people have been exemplary.

• ikehaiku says:

I don’t thing there is. Officially, yet, but I would say it won’t happen. Last time I’ve checked, crossplatform parties were on their to-do list, but very hard to do, since it would require writing an entire back-end for it, since there is no way to use both Steam and PSN social abilities for it. My guess is, that would probably be too much work for something that, all in all, not that many people would use.

• bananomgd says:

Yeah, you’re probably right. Still, if they ever get around to it, it might be nice. Not all my mates are PC gamers, at least not yet anyway.

• Dromph says:

PS4 players actually had the option to filter out PC players from the beginning as I understand it.

• fish99 says:

Loading times maybe?

2. Zankman says:

Still can’t believe that this game isn’t F2P. Just kinda… Doesn’t fit.

I’d love to play it, but, oh well.

• frameset says:

I’m glad it isn’t free to play. It means they don’t have to alter the gameplay to be freemium shit.

It’s worth the £15 mate.

• Asurmen says:

Why would they need to alter gameplay?

• GHudston says:

Because in order to make money from a f2p game they have to gate something behind a wall that you need to pay or grind to bypass. The game is so simple that this would be impossible. All gameplay is the same and all vehicles behave in the same way.

The only thing they could sell would be cosmetics but this isn’t as big as DOTA or TF2, they most certainly would not sell enough car hats to cover the costs.

• Asurmen says:

That’s an assumption though. There’s tens of thousands playing this at any time and we don’t know their costs.

• NZLion says:

“All gameplay is the same and all vehicles behave in the same way.” – I am pretty sure they don’t. It may be a placebo effect but I am convinced that there’s differences on a few axes: acceleration, top speed, boost speed, jump height, mass, strength
            It feels to me like sweet tooth has the fastest unboosted speed, the new japanese-style car from the DLC feels like it jumps higher, the trucks seem to have higher strength (so are easier to use to wreak destruction). Even if that’s wrong, I find the likes of Paladin too low and I keep missing shots because its geometry is too flat.

• NZLion says:

I’ve just done some research, it really is placebo. The only differences are in hitboxes

• bananomgd says:

I’m happy it isn’t. It has great production value, perfect value for money, and a lot of fun stuff to unlock. It also helps that the DLC is purely cosmetic and doesn’t unbalance the playing field at all.

• Martel says:

What a horrible thing to say

• fish99 says:

If you perceive Rocket League to be poor value for money at its modest price you must have an exceedingly small game collection.

3. cyrenic says:

Do you need a game pad to play this game properly on PC?

• Windows98 says:

Yes. Lots of fine analogue input is required for the trickier moves.

• Guy Montag says:

I’ll add a yes, but.

Yes, but you can play well enough with keyboard and mouse. I don’t currently have a working controller, but do just fine on midfield play and defense. Some advanced moves like aerials are very difficult to pull off regularly, though, and no throttle control means no fine movement when interacting with the ball.

Still an amazingly fun game with K+M, but learn what you can do and let your teammates do the rest.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Alright, now give me the ability to block the guys who spam racial slurs after every goal. They’re just too damn edgy for me!