Smash Some Stuff: Saints Row 4 Free’s Steam Weekend

Alec has already told you to play XCOM this weekend if you haven’t, seeing as the full game’s free to try on Steam. It’s “one of the best games of the last few years” says he. Aye, maybe it is, and maybe you could. However. If you fancy real-time smashing rather than turn-based tacticisicing, have a bash at the superpowered open-world antics, shenanigans, and – dare I say – bants of Saints Row IV [official site], which is also holding a free trial weekend on Steam, as is Saints Row: The Third.

SR4 is the best action game on PC, according to John.

Saints Row 2 is still my favourite in the series, but IV comes a close second. With only two days to play for free, I’d skip Saints Row: The Third and go for IV, as it’s basically The Third with added superpowers and a full embracing of the campness and silliness that The Third didn’t go quite far enough with, which left it feeling a bit tonally weird. IV’s superpowers are so much fun, giving abilities like telekinesis, super speed, super jumping, gliding, superpunching… it’s still bizarre to me that the best superhero game anyone’s made in years and years began life as a fairly straight-faced GTA clone.

The Third and IV should now be in your Steam library, waiting for you to install them, or they’re here and here. You’ll have until 9pm UK time on Sunday to play as much as you please, and all things Saints Row are heavily discounted in a weekend sale until Monday if you want to keep them. Or, if you already have ’em, all the DLC’s on sale too.

1. Xocrates says:

“[Saints row 4 added] a full embracing of the campness and silliness that The Third didn’t go quite far enough with”

Wait what? 4 noticeably toned down the silliness and campness of 3.

• frightlever says:

4 was largely set in a virtual world governed by aliens, who you fought with super-powers. I cannot agree with you.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

link to idiotbox.co.uk

4 wins.

• Xocrates says:

3 had a chase/shootout on rickshaws pulled by gimps.

And a tank battle in freefall with ends with you starting a zombie outbreak.

And you going into cyberspace as a toilet.

4 was more high concept, but 3 was WAY sillier.

• malkav11 says:

Saints Row IV starts with you becoming president by landing in the Oval Office after manually detonating a missile by climbing it as it ascends to the tunes of Aerosmith’s “Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”. And I’d say it only escalates from there. So, no, sorry, 3 was real silly, but IV topped it by a considerable amount.

And either way, IV is a distinctly better -game-.

• Xocrates says:

3 starts with you jumping off an airplane, then diving through the windshield of said airplane, killing everyone inside, getting out through the back and grabbing the person you had dropped before going in after saying that you would do all that.

Also, you don’t actually become president by landing on the oval office.

While 4 was more consistently silly (and probably the better game), it never quite reached the peaks of 3 in sheer silliness – unless we count the Enter the Dominatrix DLC which was based on stuff meant for 3.

• Spacewalk says:

IV has a They Live section.

• malkav11 says:

No, that’s 100% how you become president in SRIV. I am quite certain no other explanation is ever proferred.

• Xocrates says:

It’s explicity statted that King joined you to help your failing campaign.

• Xocrates says:

Perhaps a better way to make my (very subjective) point:

Silliness is to some extent a measure of how much something deviates from the expected rules. i.e. something is more silly the less sense it makes in context.

Since 4 is higher concept, most of the “sillier” things that happen in it simply make too much sense when compared with even relatively tame things in 3’s more (apparently) realistic world.

And let’s face it, if superpowers in a virtual world is “silly”, then the Matrix is an intentional comedy.

Phasma Felis says:

Replace “aliens” with “robots” and you’ve described The Matrix.

2. MikoSquiz says:

Out of II, III, and IV, the last is my pick for weakest in the series. It immediately removes any stakes or sense of progression by just giving you a big pile of powers right off the bat, including super-speed and super-jumping that mean there’s no point stealing any vehicles (outside of missions).

II and III also get a bit boring once you make it into “massively overpowered” territory, but not as boring as IV does, and in IV it happens immediately. II or III are still my picks for “best GTA type game”, though.

• MikoSquiz says:

I just figured out what it reminds me of. Did you ever have chums/classmates/cousins/other who would fire up Doom, put all the cheats on, then faceroll through it taking no damage and killing everything by spamming the BFG forever? That’s what Saints Row IV felt like to me.

• Barberetti says:

Yeah I know what you mean. I love SR2 & 3, but never even bothered with 4. The more I read about it the more boring it sounds.

• Deadly Sinner says:

It’s a very good thing that there’s no point in stealing vehicles, because the driving physics of the last two games (never played the first two,) is fucking awful.

Also, your powers are fairly limited in comparison with what you have in the end. Of course they give you many of the movement-based powers right off the bat, because having to play hours of a game before it let’s you have fun (a la Assassin’s Creed) is the worst.

3. Det. Bullock says:

It seems I still had my old Saints Row the Third save from the last free weekend and all the game files for some reason (I thought they were deleted after the free weekend expired) and I sincerely didn’t remeber it was this much fun, I’m almost tempted to buy it, though I don’t seem to find the “full package” other than on GOG.com where it’s not on sale.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Way back when, Steam would just remove the entry of a free weekend game without even letting you delete the files (unless you went into the Steam directory.) Now, it stays in your library and says “License Expired” under Status.

• welverin says:

You can’t find this?

4. TobleroneRoloCombo says:

Currently attempting a playthrough of the first one. Woe is me.

5. MadMinstrel says:

I liked SR1, I loved SR2. SR3 was just too dumb. I mean, SR 1 and 2 were dumb already, but with SR3 I felt my neurons dying a slow, painful death.

SR4 though…. That’s on a whole new level of dumb. I played about 10 minutes past the tutorial, then assumed the fetal position. I can’t play that game.

6. Stevostin says:

“Alec has already told you to play XCOM this weekend if you haven’t, seeing as the full game’s free to try on Steam. It’s “one of the best games of the last few years” says he. ”

If you consider that category to be the top 500 games, it probably has a spot in although it’s not a clear call. Unless you consider having a clear feeling of wasting your time while playing a quality for a game?