Afro Samurai 2: Episode One Launches This Month With More Creepy Bears

The first of three episodes of Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma [official site], telling the story of a robot samurai with the face of a bear from your nightmares, is coming to Windows on September 22nd.

A spin-off of Takashi Okazaki’s original manga, Revenge of Kuma follows the antics of the cybernetic bear dude Kuma, who at one point was a human guy and best friend to the titular Afro Samurai. Kuma – who, confusingly, is also known as Jinno – is now after poor Afro to avenge the death of his adopted little sister. Look, it makes sense if you played the first game.

The team at Redacted Studios have enlisted the help of Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA who’s helped to cultivate the musical talent for the game’s original soundtrack. Here’s what community director Lance James has to say about it:

“He’s been the music director on the franchise since the original animated series (and did you know he’s actually now been immortalized in Afro Samurai as a new character, Bobby Digital, who you’ll get to see in this game). Music is such an important element to the Afro Samurai brand. They tell stories, provide context and drama to some of the most critical story elements of the game. In fact you can almost say the music was being worked on before even the game development had begun.

“Hundreds of hours have been put into the soundtrack. It’s a labor of love, and a love for the franchise, that these tracks were created. Taking all this in — and with the guidance and support from RZA — you are going to experience a great Afro soundtrack.”

You can have a look at some more of that teddy bear revenge below.

1. EvaUnit02 says:

Was there any actual demand for this? I’m guessing that Bamco’s license was approaching expiry so they’re rushing this to market, probably explaining the episodic format.

2. Suits says:

Samuel L Jackson is the real afro samurai

3. TheAngriestHobo says:

This doesn’t really tickle my fancy, but it does make me wish someone would license The Boondocks and turn it into a RPG or an Asscreed-alike.

4. Tim James says:

The manga history and Wu-Tang Clan music sounds nice and all, but would you mind also telling us what kind of game this is?

5. Chirez says:

By the bye, Kuma means ‘bear’. It’s a nickname, I guess Jinno was his name before the bear?

• Jalan says:

His full name is Jinnosuke, but that’s the gist of it yes. Before his life essentially took a crap spiral, he was a good friend to Afro Samurai.

• Jalan says:

(Also, I realize I reiterated a bit of what’s in the article but without some small context just saying they were friends once could mean a multitude of things given how the plots of these things go)

6. racccoon says:

Isn’t this the story of a young American who was placed into Japan as a spy during the war and he was caught but fled into hiding in dark forests of Japan, were he was slowly being trained as swordsman, the bombs dropped and as was on the outskirts of this event his afro hair developed & his strength increased, & so afro samurai was born. Its a true story straight from my head, yes its a load of lies and I am sorry if I hurt anyone feelings its just a hypothetical prognoses of who the heck this guy may be.

7. CoopCouple says:

Though I didn’t find the first Afro Samurai particularly remarkable, I had a chance to play part 2 at PAX South 2015. I can honestly say that I would play it again.