Epic Set Infinity Blade Assets Free For Unreal Engine 4

Gosh, this is quite nice. Thousands of assets from Epic and ChAIR’s mobile series Infinity Blade [official site] have hit the Unreal Engine marketplace. That’s roughly $3 million in art and sound design, Epic say, available for free for you to play around with. Isn’t that nice? Imagine what you can do with all that stuff! Think of all the hi-def swords you can add to your Unreal-fueled wang-based platformer.

Here’s what you can tinker with:

So, there are 7,600 assets across eight packs, mostly from a cancelled game. You’ll find grass, ice, and fire set pieces, warrior dudes, baddies, smoke and lighting effects, thousands of raw audio files, and weaponry – a whole lotta stuff. Perhaps the most important thing to mention is the addition of the Cardboard Hero armour from Infinity Blade II: Vault of Tears:

“Most of the content comes from Infinity Blade: Dungeons, which we made here at Epic and chose not to release,” says Epic Games’ Dana Cowley of the company’s decision to softly shoo its content toward these creative common wilds. “While it was a tough decision to make back then, the content is beautifully crafted, and we are happy for you to have it for free. Use it in any Unreal Engine 4 project, no strings attached. We succeed when you succeed.”

Can’t wait to see cardboard guy make an appearance in your upcoming indie hit Big Buttz Pong 3.

1. eggy toast says:

How can I learn unreal to make a sick sweet rad indie game with these assets?

• weltensturm says:

Just do it. Don’t hope for anyone to show you. But I guess the official docs are a good start

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The official youtube channel here link to youtube.com has some truly fantastic tutorials, covering everything from engine and editor basics to level design, material creation, lighting, scripting, particles, you name it- those helped me a ton when I was first starting to learn UE4. The official UE4 forums are also very active and full of a lot of very friendly and helpful people.

The Unreal 4 engine launcher also has a dozen or so example maps that Epic has created, each of which are intended to show off a specific feature of the engine and they’re all fascinating and easy to pick apart to find out how they did stuff. They’re all under the learning tab of the launcher’s frontend, and I still go look at them when trying to figure things out sometimes. A couple of them are the levels they used for their tech demo videos, so you can find out how they pulled all that stuff off.

But as weltensturm says, there’s no substitute for experience. So yeah, definitely watch those videos, read the forums, etc, but while you’re doing that, don’t forget to plunge in and start making stuff!

• Phenomen says:

C++ is not required for making games on UE4. There is visual scripting for newbies (Blueprints).

• GWOP says:

Yeah, but the moment he starts to ramp up the complexity, he’ll end up with a blueprint spaghetti, not to mention the interpreter overheaed when it comes to performance. Plus, learning to script in C++ will help him switch to any other engine if he wants, and is a valuable knowledge in general.

• mandrill says:

That’s all very well, but saying to a complete beginner “Learn incredibly powerful and complex programming language X” who then goes on to discover exactly how complex and powerful the language is and has their dreams shattered by the prospect, isn’t generally helpful until they’re ready to start making things more complex or want something done which isn’t quite covered by the blueprints.

My advice would be to play with it, push it as far as you can and only look to a higher level language when you want to do something that hasn’t been done before. Once you get to the point where you need programming skills you should have enough psychological momentum to keep the project going.

• Etsu says:

I have been using only Blueprints for my projects and I hardly found anything I couldn’t do with it. The spaghetti thing is mostly a myth (and not necessarily a bad thing anyway, compared to code complexity), and is easily avoidable through collapsed nodes, Macros and Functions, and you can always use Custom Events to connect different sections. I find code being even more complicated and awful to the eye that BPs could even been, so there is not problem there.

I’m not a coder and the good news is that with Blueprints you don’t need to be one. One of the most important things about game design for me is that it’s enjoyable, and Unreal and Blueprints make it a very enjoyable experience. So forget about code if you don’t like it. You don’t need it.

2. fish99 says:

Expecting these to turn up in many many games.

• gwathdring says:

Even massive budget films reuse sounds, locations, actors, effects, animation loops … you didn’t expressly judge one way or the other so forgive me for using your post as a springboard, but it rather irritates me when people imply that reusing assets like this is some stamp of Bad Game Design.

Some of my favorite games are modifications, so I’ve never really had a problem with reuse and reincorporation in video game design. Bad unity/unreal games aren’t bad because they reuse assets.

• fish99 says:

But it would be bad if they were used in so many games that they always stood out.

• dangrak says:

On some level I agree with you, but really I don’t think I’d be particularly incensed by seeing a Recognizable Tree or Common Table #9 hanging out in a couple different games. They would become like the Wilhelm Scream.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

They will become #11 in the mishmash of 10 art styles in half the crap spewing out of steam these days.

• mandrill says:

Google ‘Wilhelm Scream’ for the most famous example of assets being reused, it’s been going on for decades across multiple forms of media.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’m sure the Steam Greenlight chancers are delighted… Although it’s more work than selling a Unity tutorial example games or asset flip a pack they downloaded from a torrent: link to store.steampowered.com
      (or half the stuff Jim Sterling showcases on Youtube, for further references).

3. Urthman says:

I love the photo laying them out like a ridiculously-expensive set of wargaming miniatures.

4. SickleCycle says:

“Unreal-fueled wang-based platformer”
    “Big Buttz Pong 3”

What is RPS doing wasting time writing articles for a website for? They’ve clearly got classic game designs just waiting to be unleashed upon the World!

5. Cederic says:

I’d just like to say a big ‘thank you’ for this. Never going to use it myself, but recognise the value of the gift and think it’s exceedingly awesome.