Space Odyssey: Maia Gets Big Bug Bashing Update

Simon Roth’s sci-fi survival game Maia [official site] has been in deep development for a while now – the last time we mentioned it was 2014 and it had already been in Early Access for the better part of a year. Roth has continued toiling away at his Dungeon Keeper In Space, releasing videos now and again of its status.

For those counting at home, we are now up to Update 0.50. It’s a doozy – among other things it takes a giant whack at critical gameplay issues.

In the words of Roth: “This build adds new research, a repair bot and a new custom map and climates system. The main focus of this build was bug fixing. I’ve killed over 1/3 of the bugs in the tracker and have eliminated all critical gameplay issues.”

Go ahead and take a look:

Maia, if you remember, is a fascinating Space colony management simulation. We played the game all the way back in 2013, describing it as a game in which science takes the place of RPG stats and Space flora and fauna reacts to their ecosystem.

“As I watched Simon construct the beginnings of a base, in caves that are protected from the violent and changeable weather that alternately bombards, burns and freezes the surface, he often hesitated as I asked about various occurrences and features. Eventually, I had to change my approach because I was looking for individual systems, wondering how health, happiness and diet were tracked and monitored, when I should have been looking at the entire simulation as one, extremely complex machine.”

1. GWOP says:

Oh man, I had almost forgotten about this. Thanks for the update. Josh Parnell and Simon Roth are my favorite narrators-of-early-access-development-updates-of-single-man-projects.

• Rizlar says:

Indeed, had totally lost track of Maia but that video was great. Look forward to it getting a full release someday *fingers and toes crossed*.

2. geldonyetich says:

Of the games lingering in my Steam wish list due to being in early access, Maia ranks nearest to the top. I loves me a bit of sci to dwarf fortressryness.

• BobbyDylan says:

Indeed. Been waiting on this getting a little more complete before I complete the purchase.

3. Ysellian says:

Nice to know this one is still alive! Looks really fun.

4. jasta85 says:

yea this is one of those games that sort of slipped out of my memory, one of the first kickstarters I backed. so long as it turns out well in the end I won’t have complaints

5. racccoon says:

Great job, lots of hard work, and nice to see this still moving along. :)

6. jellydonut says:

I need this game to fill my ‘dig out and build base in mountain’ hole since Evil Geniuses.

• jellydonut says:

Well, I guess it’s called Evil Genius. Damn you, esports

Harlander says:

I’d recommend Rimworld as another “dig out your mountain base” game, although building into the mountain is optional there.

7. The Sombrero Kid says:

This game hasn’t moved significantly on since I backed it on Kickstarter 3 years ago. The dev still puts out quarterly builds but the features listed don’t have much correlation to the gameplay experience, which is and has been for the last 3 years – issue build orders; watch some of them get carried out; nothing.
    I still hope it turns into a game at some point but i’ve moved it into my abandonware section.
    For an early access game it’s particularly resistant to input. I’ve not tried to affect development personally, because I saw the dev turn people out who suggested adding a UI which is one of the games most critical flaws, it’s obtuse to interact with and there is absolutely no feedback. It doesn’t feel like an open development game.

Just thought I should post my experience with the current build since I see a lot of people are looking forward to this, as am I and wanted to make sure that people are aware it’s still very much hypothetical.

• slerbal says:

Useful to know. Given how long it has been in Early Access and how little it seems to have come on, I suspected as much. Looks like it is in indefinite development and is a long way from a finished game. If it does eventually make it I’ll check it out, but until then I’ll stay clear.