GTA Online Livens Up Open World With Freemode Events

Before Grand Theft Auto V [official site] came out, I imagined I’d vanish into GTA Online for a few months for freeform sandbox shenanigans with a load of other folks. Turned out, the online side’s open world itself was pretty dead (aside from folks with superguns kindly supermurdering me until I turned on Passive Mode) and the action involved lots of boring lobbies and waiting and loading. It was not the dynamic world I’d hoped for. Well, I’ll be dropping back in tonight, now that Rockstar have livened things up.

An update today brings Freemode Events, activities that just happen in the world, from arena brawls to… becoming a werewolf? Interesting! Have a look:

Without loading or lobbies, Freemode Events will frequently spark off across the world. Or you’ll become a werewolf and need to flee everyone. Or you’ll need to jostle for position in an ever-shrinking area with other folks to avoid being exploded. Try to cause as much property damage as possible within a set time. Fight for control of a particular area. Loads of stuff.

That all sounds grand, and exactly the sort of fun I’d hoped for in GTA Online – more Saints Row than Grand Theft Auto, I suppose.

I do wonder how much hackers and cheats will ruin this, though. Hm. I’ll load up GTA Online tonight to check in with an old friend and see what’s new.

1. ribby says:

This does sound great :)

2. Letti says:

I uninstalled “Grand Kuruma Armored Online” a long time ago.

• grundus says:

I came here to bitch about this exact thing. The game has been irreversibly ruined by the Heist Update vehicles so you either have people being boring and using them, or people trying to be a little more creative and getting steamrolled by the invincible, boring people. If they remove the bulletproof Kuruma I’m quite sure well over half the playerbase will just stop playing, so that’ll never happen. It was fun while it lasted, though.

• hungrycookpot says:

The Kuruma doesn’t bother me so much, but the homing launcher has really fucked up free roam. Air-vehicles are completely neutered.

There’s a quick and fun way of getting rid of the Kuruma: grab an npc car, and slap 4-5 C4 on the front bumper, point, accelerate and bail out.

3. Iskariot says:

I wish they would announce a single player add on.
    I am not interested at all in the multiplayer stuff. I have not gone online once and never will.

phuzz says:

I tried the online mode once, but none of my friends have bought it so it was a bit dull.

5. minijedimaster says:

Online can be some fun if you play with friends. If you don’t have any that play it’s a not that fun.

Other day joined a heist where the guy sent an open invitation to the last mission (big payout) of the heist. After the mission was completed successfully and we were all dumped out, the leader of the heist immediately blasted everyone away to steal their cash payout of 100+K each and then signed out of the instance. Nothing but douchebags on this game.

• hungrycookpot says:

I’m not sure what you mean, that’s not how heists work…

6. trashmyego says:

All this online content is disappointing. I could care less about the mode. A terrible online community and if you’re not cushioned with a group of friends to play with, it’s often toxic or plain boring. I wish they would have went to the effort to combine servers with PS4 players at least, then my options for friends to play with would expand some. Even then, not all that interested still.

7. MegaAndy says:

Just logged into GTA online, i only ever got connected with up to 4 other people and I never saw a freemode event.

• MegaAndy says:

Also, off topic, my PC browser(Firefox) will not stay logged in to RPS when I open this page, other articles I stay logged in but not this one. With so few comments it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m not alone.

8. Blacksilver65 says:

I logged in and the first free mode event I saw was “Kill the most players with a melee weapon” I found a group of players clumped together and drove over to jump in on the beatings/stabbings. I get there and find a few players off to the side shooting everyone while they try to stab each other. Now griefers don’t have to travel the map to be irritating to everyone thanks to free mode events! 2nd event that popped up involved attack helicopters which I’ll admit sounded pretty sweet but I did not have the time to get into it.

9. Sigvatr says:

I actually feel sad when they release new content because there are still glaring, cancerous problems in the core game that they will probably never fix. If you try to join a heist or another player’s game, you have no idea whether or not that server is full or not, but you still must disconnect from your current server before you find out if there are any open slots or not. This has never been changed. It is hilariously inept. Whoever working at R* thinks, “We can bring back more players with werewolf mode!” needs to be fired. No one asked for werewolf mode. People have asked for Kurumas to be nerfed and for there to be a server browser since forever, and R* has never listened. That’s why people aren’t coming back, because R* doesn’t care about what its customers want. It’s just plan bad business.

• Pantalaimon says:

I’ll admit that I haven’t given it a look for a while, so this could well have changed, but back when I played they had big issues with getting eyes on user generated content. So that you could spend hours crafting your masterpiece of a game mode and find that absolutely nobody ever saw the thing. And I’m talking everything from finely honed race layouts that played better than anything in the base game, to intricately set up custom games.

I just feel their whole approach is ass backwards, and they need to do a better job of empowering users who will create amazing in-game content even with the vanilla game tools. But perhaps that ship has sailed. As I said, I lost interest as soon as I realised that the dozens of hours I might spend on something were all for nothing.

10. icemann says:

Nothing like a good Teen Wolf reference :).

11. Asurmen says:

Remove the constant load screens or make them take a second, and then we’ll talk.