Not Resident Evil: Multiplayer Spin-off Umbrella Corps

This is not a Resident Evil game.

Umbrella Corps sounds like the name of an English regiment in an WW2 spoof movie starring Adam Sandler. Under the leadership of Sir Lance Corporal Wilbert Bottombugle, the Umbrella Corps turn their noses up at Sandler until “that blasted Yank” saves the day by accidentally blowing up Oberleutnant Schnauzersniffer’s sausage stash. The Queen awards him a medal, then squeezes his bum.

Not quite. Umbrella Corps [official site] is actually a competitive team-based shooter spin-off from Resident Evil. Capcom announced it today at the Tokyo Game Show, and are planning a 2016 release.

Capcom had a crack at a co-op spin-off in 2012 with the unremarkable Operation Raccoon City, and now they’re going competitive. Folks drafted into the Umbrella Corps will be running around, murdering other mercenaries and trying not to get eaten by zombies. Capcom say:

“Umbrella Corps aims to provide a deep, concentrated multiplayer shooter experience like those offered by contemporary eSports. This title packs in classic Resident Evil gameplay elements, such as menacing zombie hordes. We’ve stripped out excessive theatricality and constant respawning, and pruned away the story elements.”

Going by brief explanations on the game’s site, it sounds like they’re going for a game of cautious movement and consideration of space, with an analogue cover system that lets you peek out as little as you want – costing accuracy – and a mix of long range shootybangs, mid-range bangbangs where you automatically raise a shield when using a sidearm, and close-range action jamming an ice axe into someone’s skull. It also has odd equipment like ‘jammers’ to ward off zombies and boot spikes to stomp faces.

Using the Resident Evil setting (but do note not the name – although it is Biohazard: Umbrella Corps in Japan) will likely rile up folks hungry for an actual new RE, but the idea of carefully considering combat range does interest me a bit.

Umbrella Corps is due to launch in “early 2016”, priced at £24.99/29,99€/$29.99.

This trailer, eh, it’s an announcement teaser trailer:

1. Text_Fish says:

Pop-quiz, hotshot: In which year did Capcom have a crack at a co-op spin-off with the unremarkable Operation Raccoon City?

• Kitsunin says:

2012, I know ‘cuz I read ‘da article.

Seriously though, that game was pretty awful. Given that track record you’d have to be pretty dumb to care about this prior to release.

• Text_Fish says:

Oh, I see your game RPS! You fixed the mistake I was being snide about, so now I appear quite the fool instead of just a mean spirited snark. Touché.

• MikhailG says:

I didn’t even get pass the first level because of the horrible controls on PC. Talk about console centric dev.

2. turtleomlette says:

0AD (of Resident Evil)

3. Press X to Gary Busey says:

More Resident Evils and once again it’s not a new Outbreak game. :'(

4. Kollega says:

Stuff like this is perhaps the main reason why I still come to RPS.

• Text_Fish says:

Is it bad that I’d actually quite like to watch that film? Albeit accompanied by beer and pizza and friends of equally middling standards so that I can dress it up as an intentional “bad film night”.

• Kollega says:

Considering that I myself would totally watch it just for cheap laughs, no, I wouldn’t say it’s bad at all :P

5. MikhailG says:

“…Umbrella Corps aims to provide a deep, concentrated multiplayer shooter…” Aaaand I am out. Did we learn nothing of Operation Racoon City? Or Silent Hill Book of Memories? Or dead space 3? I am so done and out.