Staxel: A Grow-o-Explore-a-Decorate-y-Social RPG

Nice, innit?

Wait no stop, don’t scroll past! Yes, I know that screen may look like just another Minecraftbut and yes, finding out the game’s named Staxel [official site] does nothing to help that perception, but Staxel is not quite what you may think. It’s a sandbox RPG of small town life, with gardening and crafting and socialising and exploring and farming and decorating and collecting bugs and… I do like the sound of that. Planning to launch the game in 2016, the developers have now dropped the first trailer. See:

“Oh so like Animal Crossing,” you may mutter, but not that either. I understand comparison is an easy way to get a handle on things, but you’re being a bit reductive now and I don’t appreciate that. Just wait, okay? I’ll explain. It’s an open-world RPG where you can live a little fantasy life, perhaps going off into the woods and befriending elves or simply trying to make a lovely house. It’ll have oodles of crops, flowers, bugs, and other things, some of which may be used in interesting ways.

Speaking about the puzzling dungeons hiding rare treasures and recipes, the developers hint “Will you need to grow a rare flower as a key to open a door?” That sounds lovely, that – nicer than hacking a monster to bits so you can rifle through its pockets (or guts) for a magic key.

It’ll have both singleplayer and multiplayer.

Staxel is making a run at Steam Greenlight, where you’ll find more info on what the game is. The devs haven’t yet decided whether they’ll release the game properly, or drop into Early Access first.

1. Chalky says:

I’ve been watching the development of this game on twitch (link to twitch.tv) for some time and I’m rather looking forward to seeing what becomes of this! Best of luck to them, at a minimum I’ve learnt a bit about development along the way :D

2. MrFinnishDude says:

Reminds me of Evoland. And the game’s name sounds like a tool that is a combination of an stag, an axe, and a pixel.

3. Wowbagger says:

I just want someone to make another Dark Chronicle game, Dungeon crawling to get bits for your village, Fish catching/rearing, golfesque game to play after clearing a stage, using a camera to find recipes for new thingymijigs. Wonderful.

4. Ancha says:

This trailer got me thinking about Harvest Moon.

5. GameCat says:

“Will you need to grow a rare flower as a key to open a door?”

Please stop stealing the ideas from Peter Molyneux!

• Damon Reece says:

Hello. I’m Staxel’s writer. We’re hugely inspired by Peter Molyneux, and are planning to take this one step further – see, the flower is just a metaphor for the player herself, and her personal development. We hope that the game will inspire many people to become truly good community members, and to come up with terrible ideas for their game such as this one.

disclaimer: yes, this is a joke. yes, also, I am the real me

6. Kollega says:

Still waiting on the first dieselpunk Minecraftbut, where you start as a daring explorer parachuting out of a burning plane over the untamed wilderness, and end with a huge art-deco metropolis crisscrossed by pipelines and monorails and dotted with radio masts and Tesla coils.

7. Sigvatr says:

It looks like a Minecraft clone so it is doomed from the start. RIP Minecraft clone we barely knew thee.

8. Talesdreamer says:

Ugh… The concept reminds me of Rune Factory, which I adore, but I can’t really stomach the artstyle. It feels so charmless and derivative.

9. Ashrand says:

oh looks good i might check it out at some… “…of small town life, with gardening and crafting and socialising and exploring and farming and decorating…”

well, dammit. i don’t suppose a drm free/GOG version is planned?