Oh I See! Counter-Strike: GO’s New Player Animations

Oh THAT'S what you're doing with the bomb!

Being able to tell quickly what’s going on is awfully important in competitive multiplayer games. That’s why MOBA characters (try to) look unique, different guns have distinctive sounds, and, ideally, you can see exactly what an enemy is doing.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive [official site] is now a little clearer, thanks to the latest update. All player animations have been updated (and look better), and the game has new animations for things like climbing ladders, switching weapons, and defusing – complete with visible wires to a doodad showing exactly what that chap crouched over the bomb is up to. Plus, the days of guns poking through doors are over!

They’re using a new system for player hitboxes too, so the game should better detect when a bullet should hit someone. The update has also finally put an end to players’ guns poking through walls and doors, giving away their position; this does mean it looks a bit weird when a gun hitting a wall has its end mysteriously disappear, but it’s better than the alternative.

“The new system modernizes the player’s skeleton and hitboxes to better express at-a-glance exactly what your enemies and teammates are doing,” Valve say. “Upgrading classic maps and adjusting weapon balance are just some of the ways CS:GO is constantly evolving. We expect to continue iterating on animation in future updates, so jump into a game and let us know what you think!”

Check the changelog from last night’s update to see all that’s new.

This here video from TrilluXe on YouTube shows off new animations and changes, as well as a few problems – players on ladders still have wonky hitboxes, for one:

1. alexei91 says:

This is a massive improvement for CSGO. Not the bomb defusing thing – that just looks weird to me although I can see why they’ve added it – but the hitboxes.

Players have been complaining for years that in certain situations (especially jumping and while on ladders) the hitboxes didn’t line up with the player model correctly. To be honest, the problem was overstated – I’ve got over 600 hours in game and it’s only ever been a minor problem – but it definitely needed to be fixed.

I think most of us had given up hope that Valve knew how to solve it and were thinking that an eventual upgrade to Source 2 may be the only solution – so this is a welcome surprise.

The only downside is that we can’t blame missed shots on “broken hitboxes” anymore…

Grizzly says:

Actually, you still totally can do that, you just look a littie bit more sore now :P

• Holysheep says:

“Downside”?

That’s an extremely good thing, at the opposite. There’s nothing that annoys me more than people in 2015 who still didn’t figure out that they had to use their brains in videogames and blame the result of their lack of skill on the game, the server or hacks when their limited or nonexistent skull content could actually prevent them from being flanked, pre-shot out of a corridor and such.

• alexei91 says:

I was being sarcastic…of course it’s a good thing.

• Holysheep says:

I sort of knew it, it’s just that I got this habit of remaining sorta serious sounding with humor based sentences.

Though TBH, CS:GO is, of all the games I play, the one that has the most whiners, and I doubt that the hitbox claims are the biggest problem IMO – The ones who call you a hacker are a real pain.

I hardly ever get called a hacker in red orchestra or insurgency. In CS:GO, unskilled people just call you one all the time. And if the game wasn’t hitscan and if there was some slow projectile weapons like there was in, say, Quake, I’m sure the whining crowds would start fire as they get a direct hit right out from a corridor because someone pre shot them after timing their moves…

• tamberlane says:

It doesn’t look weird, it looks wired! ;)

• TheRealHankHill says:

ITT people who don’t understand that CSGO has issues worse than just bad hitboxes who are just gonna say “lol ur bad” when people complain about shit that shouldn’t be happening in competitive fps games.

• alexei91 says:

What other major issues are there that are worse than hitboxes?

64 tick servers? (not an issue considering there are options like FaceIt now)
        First shot inaccuracy? (I would prefer 100% accuracy on first shot, but really it’s not that significant)
        AWP movement?

These are all relatively minor compared to the hitboxes.

There are still issues but they are (slowly) being fixed. The game is unrecognisable compared to the beta.

2. Ringwraith says:

Well, the days of being accused of wall hacking for shooting guns poking through doors are now over for me.
    It happened more often than it should.
    Never rub your face in doors!

3. MegaAndy says:

If you don’t have a defuse kit does the animation show a counter-terrorist with a sweaty brow choosing which wire to snip?!

• LionsPhil says:

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t just go for that. I guess lining up the model’s hand animation, given an arbitrary player position, with the bomb in the world was too procedural for the old Source engine.

4. Anthile says:

I don’t even know what to say, this is like finding a hundred bucks in your old jacket.

5. BirdsUseStars says:

The picture on top looks like he’s pouring a beer on the bomb to defuse it.

Henke says:

Man first there’s Hitman GO and then Tomb Raider GO. Now there’s a CounterStrike GO as well? WHEN WILL THIS FAD END? >:|

• Awesomeclaw says:

Don’t forget, before all of that there was just the board game Go.

• that_guy_strife says:

Which is really awesome and engaging, I play it on the metro and at lunch all the time. Dave Peck’s Go is also super cool, got a few of my friends into playing it, I have 3 concurrent games going on right now.

7. JustAchaP says:

The new hitboxes are great! Headshots galore.

8. SuicideKing says:

Why can’t they just make the characters lower the weapon when close to a door/wall? Like in Arma, for example.