Five Nights At Freddy’s World Is An RPG, Is Real

Five Nights at Freddy’s [official site] creator Scott Cawthon has confirmed that while there won’t be a fifth game in the main series – “the story is complete” – there will be another FNAF game soon. It’s an RPG:

“The new game that I’m working on will be called FNAF World. It will not be a horror game, but a role playing game where you create a party using the huge selection of characters from the FNaF games, including the classic, withered, toy, phantom, and nightmare versions.”

Cawthon had planned to release a demo in time for Halloween but the game’s “significantly larger” scope means that won’t be possible. There will be a demo, however, as soon as possible.

Fair to say this isn’t a news story I expected to be writing this morning. It makes perfect sense though – you only need to look at the literal thousands of FNAF fangames in existence to realise how much people enjoy exploring the unseen corners of Freddy’s world. An official game that lets fans play as the characters rather than hiding from them seems like a natural step.

From the outside of the fandom looking in, FNAF seems like such a peculiar success story. How did monstrously terrifying animatronic characters become subjects for so much adoration? Cawthon’s cleverly implied snippets of backstory certainly helped, as did the references to mysteries, tragedies and horrors in the world around Freddy’s. I wonder if there’s also a cooling effect of a sort – the intensity and claustrophobia of the games’ central mechanic being offset by imagined scenarios in which there is something other than horror and impending death. The fan creations and now FNAF World might serve a similar function to the increasing comedic elements in series like Child’s Play and Nightmare On Elm Street, de-fanging the fear.

When I saw the title, Five Nights at Freddy’s World, I thought that the next game was either going to be set in a FNAF theme park or that there was actually going to be a real life FNAF theme park. I’m guessing that FNAF World might be slightly less grounded in the fiction of the original series, however, given that I can’t think of a reason for a party of withered and nightmare animatronics to be setting off on adventures in a theme park based on themselves.

I’d love to see a real life Freddy’s theme park though just so that I could look forward to the inevitable EuroFreddy’s spin-off closing down for maintenance and never reopening. Imagine the pictures of it twenty years from now, packed with decaying horrorshows. Nightmare fuel of the highest octane.

Graham just mentioned his surprise that there isn’t a Telltale FNAF game yet. I now share that surprise.

1. Spacewalk says:

Man what the heck.

2. Kollega says:

At first I was about to comment with something like “give me a gun to shoot myself in the head, give me the gun now!”… but then I realized this announcement might eventually lead to a scenario where we get to see Foxy chugging a liter of booze, then stealing some poor sap’s car after smashing his face against the dashboard and going on a drunken road rampage – and I’m all for that.

In any case, can’t fault Scott for not making the most of this sudden windfall of popularity that he got. Yay, I guess.

3. Turkey says:

Should have called it Five Turns at Freddy’s.

4. jacksaw says:

I’ve never played the game before and each iteration of it has turned me off even more. I’ll call it now. This will be a (artistic) fail backed by die hard fans.

5. jacksaw says:

If you want a mystery just turn it into a 90s throw back called Cash Cow at Bernies

6. cpt_freakout says:

In before the Chris Avellone stretch goal™

7. Janichsan says:

The mind boggles…

• TheAngriestHobo says:

How come nothing else ever boggles? I want my cat to boggle.

8. Zankman says:

You know what my issue with FNAF’s popularity is? The weird (segment of the) fanbase.

The people creating fan-games that just emulate the base games’ formula is one thing.

The people that are REALLY into the spooky, creepy and mysterious Lore of the series is another thing (and I can understand this the most, the Lore is actually pretty compelling to unravel).

But the fact that this series has created so many… “DeviantArt” fans.

To them, it’s not about a horror game where someone brutally murdered children and stuffed them into animatronic suits which then become possessed…

Nope, to them this is some weird, happy & quirky world with “furry” animatronics as the main characters doing… Stuff.

It’s kinda like the “extended” Sonic fanbase… But in this case it is weirder since the base material is so dark and since this “extended fan content” is so far removed from the actual premise.

This may have little to do with this new game announcement, although it is still topical, I think: This very same fanbase has literately provided enough interest (and money) to produce this new game.

This new game which will, apparently, not even be in the same formula/genre, but instead will be “about” the animatronics.

I have no clue how the game will be like, but, obviously, it will certainly be “of use” to the “DeviantArt fanbase” that I was referring to.

Note: I am not opposed to someone creating interesting and unique fan content, even if it is far removed from the original content in terms of tone; The fact that it is so popular and prevalent in this case is just what is weird to me.

9. Jalan says:

So… Chipper and Sons Lumber Co. just with the Five Nights at Freddy’s characters. It all comes full circle.

10. MrFinnishDude says:

Is this unironical? Has the world gone mad? WHO AM I!?! CURSE YOU SPOOKY CHUCK E CHEESE GAME WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?