Telltale’s Minecraft: Story Mode Starts October 15th

Minecraft: Story Mode [official site] is, confusingly, not a story mode for Minecraft. It’s a separate episodic series of adventure games from Telltale Games, the merry gang behind The Walking Dead and Tales from the Borderlands and all that. As Adam noted, it’s an adventure in that Telltale style which seems to smoosh together the LEGO Movie and Minecraft YouTuber adventures – and to that I’ll add what I imagine my niece’s dreams must look like after an afternoon of sweeties and Minecraft.

The first of five episodes, named ‘The Order of the Stone’, will be coming on October 15th, Telltale and Mojang announced today. Here, come see that trailer again:

Probably better than you’d have expected from a Minecraft spin-off, aye? It doesn’t look my bag but lawks, think of all the cheap and nasty Minecraft spin-offs we could’ve had…

Here’s what Telltale have to say about the series:

“In Minecraft: Story Mode, playing as either a male or female hero named ‘Jesse,’ you’ll embark on a perilous adventure across the Overworld, through the Nether, to the End, and beyond. You and your friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect; slayers of the Ender Dragon. While at EnderCon in hopes of meeting Gabriel the Warrior, Jesse’s friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and you must set out on a quest to find The Order of the Stone if you are to save your world from oblivion.”

I do like that the main character has several options so kiddywinkles – big and small – can put themselves in the adventure a little.

October 15th is the date, and it’ll be on Windows and Mac. Well, technically Telltale say the game will start rolling out across its many platforms on October 15th, but this is standard practice for Telltale and they usually get it to PC on the first day.

1. noodlecake says:

It’s funny how such a cute game meant for kids incites such vitriol. Nobody has posted any comments here yet but I’m expecting some fury and Telltale Games bashing if the comments on the first Youtube trailer are anything to go by.

I’m personally just going to wait till it comes out before I make a judgement. It may end up being surprisingly good.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

I wouldn’t touch this with the longest corporeal stick. But my little sister is 12 years and I believe she would enjoy the hell out of this, so I refuse to bash it. Even though it takes an insane amount of willpower trying to silence my inner “back in my day” fan-dumb.

• Ando says:

Kids also like McDonalds, The Phantom Menace and picking their nose and eating it. Just saying.

3. BradleyUffner says:

Is it just me, or does it annoy anyone else that the character’s arms and legs in these types of videos have joints and bend in ways they totally don’t in the actual game?

4. bleeters says:

For a trailer for a Telltale game, it took David Fennoy longer to appear than I expected.

5. Muzman says:

The circle will actually be complete when Telltale make a Lego adventure game. They’re already the Lego of Adventure games. “Got a brand/franchise? We’ll make an adventure game out of it!”

• Baf says:

The “Lego ” games are made by Traveler’s Tales Games, which has been confused with Telltale pretty often just because of the similarity of name. People have joked about merging the two companies into “TT Games” and making a Lego Walking Dead game.

6. vlonk says:

I can understand the vitriol somewhat. Telltale put themselves firmly in the “older gamer” segment with a choice of a 18+ Walking Dead audience, then a probably 18+ Fable adaptation then the 16+ Game of Thrones and 18+ Borderlands. Like Alice I can imagine plenty spin-offs that I rather have. Can you Star Trek Telltale? BSG? Doctor Who? Is there a hypetrain going to Hogwarts or the soon to be relevant Jakku?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Firefly. Please.

• vlonk says:

Sadly, if they wanted to make a firefly game, they would not have touched Borderlands. Those two occupy the same design space of spacey wild west. While borderlands pales in comparison to the writing and worldbuilding of Firefly it can boast with sucessful recent releases.

7. ribby says:

It doesn’t look great but I have faith in Telltale

8. Nevard says:

I just don’t understand why they gave the characters those horrible 3D faces. That’s not how they look in minecraft, and they look awful.
    Would have been much better if they just had flat animated face textures. I’ve seen amateur youtube minecraft animations better looking than these characters…

• Merus says:

It looks like the kind of rig CaptainSparklez uses for his music videos, which is almost certainly the look they were going for.