Near-Total War: The Humble Total War Bundle

This is Rome II, this one.

War! Huah! What is it good for? Well, lately I find the song that mass bloodshed inspired gives me a fun creative exercise as I open post after post quoting those lyrics then need to somehow make it work. This is the one where I go a bit meta, yeah? Kicking the fourth wall square in its cobbles, huh?

What’s Total War [official site] good for? A lark! The Creative Assembly have worked for over fifteen years on the series combining turn-based strategy with real-time tactics, and you can pick up a fair chunk of it on the cheap in the latest Humble Bundle.

The Humble Total War Bundle is the usual pay-what-you-want dealio, offering more games as you pay more.

Paying at least $1 (about 65p) will get you Steam keys for Medieval II: Total War, Shogun: Total War plus its expansion, and Viking: Battle for Asgard (hey, that’s not a Total War game!). Also thrown in are a beta key for Total War: Arena, some guff for the free-to-play Total War Battles: Kingdoms, and a load of music and eBooks and stuff.

Beat the average price people have paid (currently $8.04/£5-ish) and you’ll also get Medieval: Total War plus its expansion, Empire: Total War with a load of DLC, microtransaction cash for Total War: Arena, a coupon giving money off Total War: Attila, and some other games they’ll reveal in a few days.

Pay $15 (£10) or more and Humble will throw in Total War: Rome II with a load of DLC.

That’s not bad, all that.

1. Barchester says:

Hm, I was just thinking I should give Medieval: Total War another go one of these days, and contemplating whether I had it already or not. No excuses then. To war!

• BobbyDylan says:

I did a few months ago. It’s aged poorly.

• Barchester says:

Bummer. On to Rome II or Medieval II then. Haven’t played any game in the series except for the first Rome and Medieval, and that was years ago.

• misterT0AST says:

After I tried Europa Universalis I could never go back to Total War.
          And once I tried Crusader Kings I could never go back to Europa Universalis.

Basically I like that there is a whole game based around your crazy dynasty of Eunuchs and wrothful incestuous madmen, plus diplomacy and the funny events and dialog boxes.

• Great Cthulhu says:

This, though I do also enjoy EU4 and Victoria II.

The Paradox games have totally displaced the TWs as my games of choice, just as the TWs once did to the Civs.

• blastaz says:

I actually found that while shogun 1 had definitely aged poorly medieval 1 was quite playable. The strategy map at least…

2. Jalan says:

At least this time they’ve made it clear before actually purchasing that any Steam keys are crammed into one big key per tier.

• SebfromMTL says:

Well I would rather have them as separate keys since I already own half of them but could’ve given them to a buddy.

BTW Alice you forgot to mention the Total Warhammer map!

3. All is Well says:

Does anyone in the lovely lot of RPS commenters know if:
    A) TW: Rome II is good enough now that it’s worth getting, if you already have Shogun II? Because if Rome II isn’t that much better I’d rather just save the money and replay Shogun. Or get TW:Attila instead, maybe? Also:
    B) How well does Shogun (the first one) work on modern OS:s?

• Janichsan says:

I have no first hand experience with TW Shogun, but the Humble Bundle description says “• Now updated for modern resolutions and Steam integration.”

• natendi says:

To answer A) only.

I think Rome 2 is now quite good. I never played it when it released, only after it became “Emperor Edition”. The battles are enjoyable (still some dodgy AI but ok), the graphics are good (I wouldn’t say much better than Shogun 2 but still nice. The province management system is quite good too.

Now the campaign. The standard, play as Rome main campaign, I found to be utterly exhausting. You have to deal with a number of different fronts, manage a lot of legions. It can be fun but I found it tiring. Played Carthage and found that more enjoyable so perhaps try some of the smaller factions.

On the plus side, the new edition has the wars of the 2nd Trimvirate (Octavian, Lepidus and Antonius). This effectively gives you a portion of the Empire to manage, which for me made the whole experience much more focused and enjoyable.

Sorry can’t help you with B)!

• Great Cthulhu says:

A) I played Rome II after most of the major issues had been fixed, and I found it to be more enjoyable than Shogun II. A lot of that is due to personal preferences though. They introduced quite a few changes and you may or may not like them.

From what I hear (haven’t played it myself), you might want to skip to Attila, since everyone I know who liked Rome II, likes Attila even better.

B) I had no problem running it on Window XP, but that was many years ago. Coming from the original Rome, I found Shogun 1 very hard to enjoy, since the interface is definitely less polished than what I had gotten used to.

• Baranor says:

I enjoyed Shogun II a lot more than Rome II, somehow Rome II felt lacklustre. Even though unit variation was bigger on paper it just felt less… grand. Currently back to Medieval TW2/Third Age, and despite the obvious graphical thing (the models are showing their age) it is vastly entertaining.

Rome II was a bit of a letdown.

• EhexT says:

I’ve found even release Rome 2 far better than end-of-life Shogun 2 simply because Shogun 2 is so incredibly simplistic in it’s unit variety. It’s just rock paper scissor units with several upgrade tiers where they just become stronger rocks, papers and scissors. While Rome 2 has heavy infantry that throws javelins, distinct ranged units, heavy hitters with crappy morale, etc. which just feels much better.

Like the difference between the generic units of Planetary Annihilation and the unique ones of Supreme Commander – the former just feels lazy like the devs couldn’t be bothered to invest the time to balance and took the easy way out.

• Zenicetus says:

I feel the same way about Shogun II’s units, which is a shame because it’s a better game than Rome II in many other ways. The campaign AI is helped by having fewer paths across the map, and Shogun II’s dynastic system is so much better than the way Rome II tries to graft its crippled Roman-based “political system” onto every other faction in the game. That really annoys me.

But in the end, I like the unit variety in Rome II, and it’s been patched up to the point where at least most things are now working. I haven’t tried Attila yet… not sure I’d like the premise of having to move around that much, for some of the factions. I’ll try it at some point when it’s at a low enough price.

• All is Well says:

Cheers everyone! From what I gather it’s not perfect but not exactly bad either. I suppose $15 isn’t too much to find out for myself, especially when there’s other stuff included. Thanks again :)

• melancholicthug says:

I’ve been (re)playing (after all these years) the first Shogun last night and it works flawlessly. At 1080p looks great, if a tad small the text in the campaign map, but nothing too bad. It’s still great, IMO. Try to stop the Mongols, if you dare!

4. MadMinstrel says:

If I didn’t already own all of those things, that would probably be a pretty good deal.

5. Hunchback says:

Tempting…

6. Replikant says:

As much as I loathe the battle-dice in the Europa Universalis games, in my past TW (up to M:TWII) experiences they soon seemed to be preferable to the exhaustive repetition of small scale skirmishes with minor rebels and smallish armies. Plus, after a while I realised that I actually preferred the clean board-game-y strategy map-mode of Shogun and MTW1 to the Heroes of Might and Magic tedium of running up and down the map in small steps: March, don’t reach destination. End Turn. WAAIIITTTT. Look for enemy again, march, don’t reach again. Rinse and repeat.

Doe anyone feel the same but can assure me that Rome II is vastly improved in those respects?

• Great Cthulhu says:

The swarms of mini-stacks are all but gone in Rome II, as all factions can support only a limited number of armies (which improve with experience, much as individual units do), so that annoyance is pretty much gone. Almost every battle actually matters now.

7. Jhoosier says:

And since it’s not available in my region(Japan), so I can’t even see what games are available, screw them.

Maltose says:

Don’t forget the 66% off tw:attila coupon. Including the beat the average price to get the coupon, you’re getting Attila for to% off , which matches the current steam sale, plus you get a lot of the older games too.

Maltose says:

*66% off

• Henas says:

Does the coupon expire?

Could you theoretically wait until HB had Attila on sale and use the coupon for a bigger discount?

• melancholicthug says:

The coupon lasts until october 31st. Valid in the Humble Store. It doesn’t stack with other discounts. It’s actually cheaper than the current Steam sale, which is at 50% off.

9. bill says:

You know what, this is about the 8th bundle this year that hasn’t been available in my region… it’s getting bloody annoying.

Bloody Sega! Bloody Capcom! And my good will for the humble bundle guys is rapidly draining away too.

10. Wowbagger says:

Well call me sally and cover me in jam, the coincidence of dlc for Attila coming out today is mind boggling.

11. Cederic says:

Doesn’t include Rome:Total War, which remains by far the greatest of the series and one of the finest games in computer gaming history.

This may be a subjective viewpoint.