Free Cheese & Whine: Red Alert 2 & Amnesia Now Free

Yeah, I bet you can make it past him before this offer ends.

That’s the cheese of Yuri with his mind-controlled squid and the whine of you whimpering as horrible things stalk you through the dark, to be clear.

Point is: you can now download and keep forever Westwood Studios’ olde RTS Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Frictional Games not-so-oldish first-person spooker Amnesia: The Dark Descent and not in that way, you little urchin. RA2 (plus its expansion) is the latest freebie on Origin to promote EA’s service, while Frictional dropping this freebie shortly before the launch of their new horrorshow Soma.

Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge will likely be free for quite a while, as EA tend to keep the same game in the promo for months. If you nab it before then, you’ll get to keep it forever/until Origin shuts down (nothing in this world lasts forever friends). If you don’t want to use Origin, fair enough, but oh my gosh please stop going on about it I get it.

Amnesia, however, is only free until 7pm this evening. Get on over to Steam sharpish to grab it. Frictional’s other games are on sale too. If you don’t want to use Steam either oh gosh okay I know I’ve heard this is a post about free video games how do these sorts of things still rile people up so much?

1. GernauMorat says:

Kirov reporting!

2. phuzz says:

Just tried to get Red Alert running on Win10. I had to go into the game’s directory and set all the .exe’s into Windows XP compatibility mode, otherwise it would just run at super speed and kill all my units within a few seconds.
    It was interesting to see how much I can still remember how to play this game, but I’m sure there was a key to make selected units deploy/undeploy.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

That key would be D, which I imagine is the first key your recollections pointed you towards.

• phuzz says:

No, I was hitting space for some reason. As I wrote that comment though I was wondering why I’d not tried D.
        Hmm, there must be a scan of the manual somewhere…

• Bugamn says:

Did it simply work for you? I already had a copy from the Ultimate Collection, which I had made to work under Windows 8.1, but when I saw this annoucement I wanted to test it again and it wasn’t working anymore.

3. The Sombrero Kid says:

I only came here to say what a great pun that was, my favourite part is that you had to explain it!

4. Kentauroi says:

Was super jazzed when I saw Red Alert 2, then I saw the word Origin…

Damnit EA why couldn’t you of kept your hands off of Westwood.

• Tayh says:

Did you not read the article?
      Alice gets it! No reason to go on and on about it.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Alice gets that no sane person would touch Origin, but Kentauroi was morning/bemoaning EA dragging a once fine developer into its diseased squid-maw to be masticated in to bilious pap.

• bit.bat says:

I haven’t used Origin for a while, whats so bad about it?

• Hedgeclipper says:

Its owned by EA, EA uses the money it makes to buy good developers so they can destroy them and ruin our childhoods. The only ethical thing to do is keep your money and invest it in third world puppy-kicking factories, or something.

• drewski says:

Well, now they’ve finally enable two factor authentication, slightly less…

It’s a perfectly functional digital software delivery platform. It doesn’t seem to get in the way too much that I’ve noticed (YMMV). Oh, and it’s EA, so the internet thinks it steals users souls.

Other than that, pretty whatever.

• Synesthesia says:

It’s just another digital distribution platform. It used to be fantastically shit at launch, but now it works just fine. I’ve grabbed quite a few freebies, titanfall, and the dead spaces there. No problem.

• Legion23 says:

There are still issues with Origin considering user-friendliness too. If you are a multilingual like me and want to play your games in English but are in a non-english country you have a problem using Origin. For example: I am not able to access the english shop (the client is set to english but the shop stays in german with a translation aimed at 14 year old boys imo). More important I am only allowed to install Red Alert 2 in german which I don´t want.

• derbefrier says:

there is nothing wrong with it.

• LionsPhil says:

Can I still go “oh rats” that this isn’t the same as when they gave away all the previous C&C games by basically throwing out CD images for Tib Dawn/RA1 and repackaged installers with the CD checked removed for Tib Sun?

Because that was actually pretty awesome of them and for a moment I thought this might have been the same.

• Kestrel says:

Ditto! Stay the hell off my system, Origin.

5. Bobtree says:

I couldn’t get Origin to add RA2 for me, and now the “On The House” page is empty.

• dysomniak says:

Yeah, I tried an hour or so ago and got an error that said to try again later. Now it just redirects me to a $20 C&C collection.

• -LiQuiD- says:

RA2 is the only reason I’d consider buying the entire collection, EA must have found out that they have let the cat out of the bag

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

They were overwhelmed by the demand. They will be back on the freebie page soon.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

And still not back. But Theme Hospital is free now but it still says the Red Alert stuff will be coming back soon.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Aaaand Red Alert is back. And I’m done running promo-errands for evil master EA for now…

6. jellydonut says:

Uh, no, it’s redirecting me to a very much not free C&C collection.

Nice ad job, EA.

7. turtle says:

Origin sucks giving away free games isn’t going to sway my opinion.

8. drucifer says:

Amnesia TDD is £2.99 at 18:42. The Current Lowest Price says $0.00 however.

9. fco says:

aand… I still haven’t started the copy of Amnesia I bought with real monies over a year ago.
    when will I learn?

• bill says:

I am at least currently half way through Amnesia which I bought ages ago in a sale.

Same thing keeps happening to me… I buy things in sales and then they go free or hyper cheap before I get around to them.

I don’t think I’ll ever learn.

(Amnesia is great though… give it a try)