Ghost In The Shell: First Assault Trailer Uncloaks

If you want fun cyberpunk multiplayer tactical FPS action now, I’ll point you towards the free Source mods Dystopia and Neotokyo. If you want to cling to the hope that someone will one day make a good Ghost in the Shell game and maybe, just maybe, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex – First Assault Online [official site] could be that game, mate, I’m right there with you. Self-delusion can be fun when it lets you look at videos of cool cyborgs, like this here new trailer:

Hmm. It’s not the finest trailer, but what lies underneath all the editing and music and whatnot? First Assault (as Nexon call it for short) is a class-based tactical FPS, where you might play as the Major and scamper about under thermoptic camouflage or scout out with Saito’s enhanced vision and enemy-tagging. Characters and weapons can be customised – this is the cyberfuture, after all – and I am intrigued by a feature Nexon call ‘SkillSync’. This “allows players to leverage shared cyber-abilities with nearby teammates in combat modes to augment and increase their skills,” they say. “By using SkillSync in smart and tactical ways, teammates can work together in devastating combinations in battle.” That sounds… intriguing?

Nexon don’t have the best reputation as a free-to-play publisher, putting out a lot of unremarkable games over the years. However, they have seemed to starting picking up a few more quality games, between Splash Damage’s Dirty Bomb and former Epic chap Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers. Maybe First Assault will be another interesting one, even if developers Neople don’t have any exciting to their name (they’re behind games like Dungeon Fighter Online and Cyphers). This is me trying self-delusion again, isn’t it? I want to believe.

First Assault is due to launch free-to-play in 2016. Closed beta testing will kick off on October 1st, for which you can sign up on its site.

1. Da5e says:

I’m struggling to think of music that could be less appropriate for a Ghost In The Shell game; it’s a shame Olga Yakovleva passed away.

• Orageon says:

That’s just her voice, since the music is by genius Yoko Kanno so there could still be hope.
      Probably more fit anyways than the Kenji Kawai style, for a game like this.

• Neutrino says:

My thoughts exactly.

• dysomniak says:

2012 called, they want their trailer music back.

• Tiger Teeth says:

Argh. They couldn’t have dug up Run Rabbit Junk for this? Rise?

• Frank says:

Same. I hope this singalong “whoa oh oh oh” music never comes back.

• MikhailG says:

My thoughts too, I mean you don’t have to license the old Yokko Kano songs if you don’t have the cash but you obviously do if you licensed this imaginary dragons (is that their name?) song. Like, not even some emo indie rock band instead of this? Any of the bazzilion electronic musicians that make music in the style of the really good psx game?: link to youtube.com

No, lets hire the most bland poprock band. What do they think they are making here, the next CoD BlackOps? Sigh… Lowering expectations by 76%.

2. Ansob says:

If you want to cling to the hope that someone will one day make a good Ghost in the Shell game and maybe, just maybe, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex – First Assault Online could be that game, mate, I’m right there with you.

I wish this weren’t so true it hurts. :(

Or Togusa’s inexplicable arm-blades that everyone definitely remembers him having, right? Right?

I have the lowest of low expectations for this, but I can’t help but hope that it’ll turn out okay despite being an F2P Nexon title.

• SomeDuder says:

What are you looking for in this game, exactly? Im assuming its a multiplayer game, so perhaps an Unreal Tournament deal with a GitS skin?

Because I couldn’t think of a more inappropriate format than a FPS F2P game to represent the GitS setting. In fact, I’m very suprised that the developer managed to reach the conclusion that “Yes, this piece of shit is exactly what our customers are craving”. Well, surprised is the wrong word. I gues that Nexon had a license to a FPS engine laying around, hired some Korean kids to slap a GitS theme on top of it and called it a “product”.

A good GitS title could only ever be an extremely narrative-driven game, where combat sections are intense, but very sparingly used. I gues this could be in a FPS format (Like an early Thief, where the world is more important than the action), but ideally this would be in the form of a third-person adventure, where uncovering the latest big cybercrime is performed by more than just shooting bullets.

But I’m sure a developer would fuck it up with a “Ride the tachikoma and collect all cyberbrains” segment or something.

• SomeDuder says:

Actually I’m nursing a semi by just imaging a Blade Runner-style adventure-action game set in the GitS world. With actual cartoon-clips playing as dialogue. But not that horrible new Arise failure, good lord what were they thinking

• DrazharLn says:

I don’t care about what your penis thinks! Stop telling us!

• Zack Wester says:

And here I thought A FPS Deus Ex style Might work I have not played the game myself so I don´t know how battles works. or dont work.

3. Orageon says:

Well I am not familiar with Nexon’s previous F2P games, but I play Dirty Bomb and I am enjoying it a lot. It is not p2w at all really, and you can unlock stuff pretty fast… I am actually wondering if they can make money out of it at all.
    So if they take a similar route then that’s fine for me. But this is hard to say at this stage.
    The only thing is that there are complains about their anti-cheat program because some manage to break through it. I have only see na blattant cheater a couple of times in game after many hours of playing, and they immediately ruin the game for everyone, but this also happened in Battlefield 3.

So let’s wait and see, but with Dirty Bomb at least, I think a good job was done. But of course the game itself is cool and that’s on SplashDamage.

4. DailyFrankPeter says:

May I add Blacklight Retribution to the list of what you can play now? Sadly, Blacklight seems to be on it’s way out, but the amount of Sci-Fi work (design) they’ve done is impressive.

5. Spluff says:

Now, it’s been a while since I’ve seen either the movie or the series, but my recollection of Ghost in the Shell is of a slow paced, cerebral show – not an adrenaline fueled collection of explosions and action. Why exactly would you want to make a competitive shooter based on Ghost in the Shell?

• Amstrad says:

You’re not wrong, but the various movies and shows did have their share of shooty shooty bang bang bits of action intertwined with the cerebral stuff. Honestly I think the setting is better suited to a slower paced tactical style along the lines of the SWAT series.

Don Reba says:

This is more along the lines of the recent GITS: Arise, which is mostly a sequence of contrived firefights. Thankfully, it looks like Production IG recognized that it can’t do GITS without Mamoru Oshii and created Psycho-Pass, which is, actually, also brilliant.

6. RaunakS says:

I remember seeing a couple of friends play a squad based FPS on Steam (with an amazing techno soundtrack) which seemed very much in GITS mode. It had a capture-the-flag type setting where you had to carry the torso of a robot to victory.

I can’t for the life of me remember the name, but others more knowledgeable might …

• Ansob says:

That’s Neotokyo. It’s mentioned in the first paragraph.

• Frosty_2.0 says:

Great soundtrack by Ed Harrison, digital copy can be purchased still and they did a limited CD digi-pack release back in the day, I still have it.

• Devencire says:

It’s a fantastic soundtrack, and it’s all on Spotify. Well worth you (yes, you, the reader) going and having a listen.

7. Kemuel says:

Is Dystopia still going? Not played since basically when it launched, but I’d love to go back.

• WMain00 says:

No it’s pretty much dead. The only servers still active have extremely hardcore players on it who are pretty much unforgiving to newcomers.

Neotokyo is similarly dead.

• Doomsayer says:

I’ll admit that, whenever I occasionally go back and am able to find a server with people in it, it’s often a bunch of new players who I can’t help but completely wipe the floor with. Shame that, since Dystopia has some of the best multiplayer FPS combat I’ve seen anywhere.

• Zack Wester says:

Neotokyo got some players on Friday evening on the EU server.
        ((NeoTokyo Firday)) is what that event is called.

• Frank says:

Oh, that’s too bad. I wish Valve had hired the Dystopia team way back when (Orange Box era, I guess).

8. gunny1993 says:

All this has done is make me remember that there’s a live action Ghost in The Shell movie coming.

Ughhhhhh

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death shitty reboots may die.

9. Turkey says:

Get in F2P multiplayer box, Ghost in the Shell. You’re not a real property.

• vlonk says:

It is only a shell of its former self. Okay… I see myself out.

10. SuicideKing says:

So someone’s finally made a game with a three part title and sent it to RPS.

11. thelastpointer says:

“I am Major Motoko Kusanagi.”

No you’re not

Don Reba says:

Awful, awful, awful. Ahhhhhh… so terrible. It hurts.

13. Xzi says:

I was thinking that it looks okay, and then I clicked the link at the end for the beta and it directed me to Nexon’s site. Nope.

14. Renegade says:

It’s a shame NeoTokyo mod is dead. It really was a great game perhaps someone will hopefully restart the project when Source 2 mod tools come along.

15. john_silence says:

That “Skillsync” thingy is fine in principle, but a recipe for disaster and unsatisfying chaos on a public server.
    Also: ah, Neotokyo…