Rebel Galaxy: Runic Vets’ Space Sandbox Due In October

Damned rebellious kids!

Wait, hang on, two founding members of Torchlight devs Runic have been working on what they call a “swashbuckling space adventure” with spaceship action and trading and exploration and antics in a procedurally-generated galaxy, and we’ve only posted about it once? That won’t do at all! Now’s a good time to catch up, as Rebel Galaxy [official site] has just received a release date: October 20th.

The game’s developers Double Damage Games were founded by Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer, who you might also know respectively as the creator of Fate and the senior designer of Diablo (and project lead on Diablo II). Games are made by teams, of course, so let’s not get carried away with assigning games to single people but, ah, they were still pretty big deals. Anyway!

Rebel Galaxy looks like it’s trying to strike a vibe of ‘Firefly With Space Battles’, where you can roam around wheeling, dealing, trading, and exploding. You can pick a playstyle that suits you as you buy bigger, fancier ships and kit them out. I’m certainly curious to see how it turns out. Here, have a peek at this trailer:

Rebel Galaxy will arrive for Windows on October 20th through Steam and GOG. A Mac version is due to follow later in the year.

1. Stoygroff says:

If this plays/feels anything like Freelancer, it can have all the moneys.

…all of it!

• EhexT says:

It plays absolutely nothing like Freelancer. It’s Pirates style combat with Z-axis-having fighters, a boost mechanic and Starfleet Command style shields. Think Black Flag naval combat in space with some extra spaceyness.

2. Gnoupi says:

Is it just me, or does it look “flat”, like happening only on a plane, despite the 3D environment ?

3. schurem says:

They had some people test out an early prototype of the game. I was one of them. It plays almost like Eve-O, in that you control a ship from third person perspective giving global orders like go here, shoot that.

It has style in oodles. Just that music alone will get me to purchase and play it.

• Rich says:

Really? Excellent! I’ve been waiting for a single player space captain, rather than pilot, game for forever.

Wisq says:

Seconded. I’m hoping this and The Mandate (which I backed) both turn out to be good captain & crew games, rather than “Yet Another Plucky Underdog Flying a Space Fighter” games.

• Kollega says:

Can you tell me about the aesthetics of this game? The gameplay sounds appealing enough, but from the screenshots and videos, the game looks unremarkable and desaturated compared to something like Everspace. How pretty the space actually is in Rebel Galaxy, and how varied is it?

• Kollega says:

Correction: watched the video in fullscreen 1080p, and it looks better than when I just glanced at it… but it still feels kind of not-dazzling-enough. Are there more interesting vistas in the game proper?

• schurem says:

It looks pretty enough. Don’t remember seeing much black space. Most of it is nebulae and huge big planets. The pewpew and boomboom looks fine and had a nice chunkiness to it. TBH it felt a bit like World of Warships in that respect; big boats shooting big guns at eachother.

• Kollega says:

Thankie for the information – I think I’ll go hunt down gameplay videos and see if this game is for me.

• Jay Load says:

It puts me off when you’re supposed to be in space, which is mostly black, and game designers set their game inside a candy-crush collage of glowing nebula, lens-flares and other dubious light and colours sources.

• Kollega says:

I wouldn’t like that in a realistic game either, but the thing is, I’m not a purist when it comes to space games, so for me the crazy collage of candy-crush colors is part of the point =P

(brb getting sued by King)

4. iucounu says:

I had a runic vet microchip my dog, and now he has +5% Knockback and a fire enchantmant

• amusingthebrood says:

Hah, you were lucky. My cat got the duration of her sleep ability extended by two hours and +10% to hair based weapons.

5. KaptainKartWheel says:

What’s the music in the trailer? Anyone?

6. Caiman says:

I played several hours of the preview build, and can confirm that it’s fantastic. It feels like a cross between Freelancer (the universe and meta gameplay), Firefly (the vibe), and something like Starfleet Command (the combat system). It’s done with serious style, and the music is a big part of it actually, but it’s also a lot of damn fun. I’ll be buying this as soon as it’s released.

• Jay Load says:

That description just put it onto my ‘most anticpated’ list. You just named-checked some of my very favourite things.

7. SebfromMTL says:

Reminds me of Starpoint Gemini 2. Cannot wait to try this!

8. marak830 says:

Now this is all sorts of interesting!

9. Goschti says:

Played about 15 hours of the preview version. It is awesome. Firefly meets Freelancer with an easy to learn combat with giant spaceships that shoot the crap out of each other. The soundtrack alone is amazing and the game will be 20$.
    Graphics are not the most amazing you will ever see but they are decent enough. In the short preview weekend I have not really played anything except this game. Most amazing game I have seen for years.

10. NemesisZidar says:

Game looks good but the trailer is the dumbest ive seen for quite some time. “Explore, mine” ship shoots other ships, “trade, scavenge” ship shoots other ships, “rebel” ships shoot other ship. Trailer showed no actual feature besides the battles but all the time listing non battle features.

11. LintMan says:

I haven’t seen that much lens flare since the Star Trek reboot.

12. racccoon says:

I can only say by the games looks from the video, it may work out well. The proof will be in its game play & not necessary the graphics. I hope its a winner.

As for other space game cases, one stands out way over valued crowd funder, Star Citizen, which over presents itself in graphical theatricals, looks definitely on track towards total confusion of itself efforts.
    I think they need another office!! Maybe this time placed in the north pole, of course if it hasn’t melted yet, but would melt immediately they arrived. lol