Has Solo: Star Wars Battlefront Beta Offline Mode

As if millions of 30 and 40-something voices cried out in delight, and were suddenly interested. If you’re an ageing nerd who loves a bit of Long Time Ago / Far Far Away but worried that DICE’s upcoming original trilogy shootybang game Star Wars: Battlefront [official site] would involve far too much fraternising with terrifyingly skilled and extremely sweary children, rest easy. The offline solo mode is so central to it that even the upcoming beta will include a taste of it. Also that beta will be freely open to everyone, so you don’t need to get involved in icky pre-order schemes.

It’s hard to say at this stage if all three maps and modes in the beta will feature in the offline mode, but the wave survival mode set on Tatooine certainly will.

There’s also going to be a king of the hill-style mode called Drop Zone, which in the beta will be set on the planet of Sullust, though the full game will also stage this mode on Star Wars’ holy trinity of plantery bodies, Endor, Hoth and Tatooine. More details on that here.

As for getting in and exact dates, it’s still a case of watch the skies, but at least there’s confirmation that anyone can play. Write EA: “We’re excited to say that the beta is open to everyone! Get ready for the beta release date and also make sure your system is ready to download the beta the moment it goes live.” Which I guess means clean all those copies of the Star Wars Holiday Special off your hard drive to make sure you’ve got room for this thing.

1. hollowroom says:

Hmm. Might be interested now.

I’ve completely given up on multiplayer, so this has tweaked my interest gland.

• jezcentral says:

Same here. I don’t have the time to get good enough at multiplayer games. I can now play this!

• hollowroom says:

For me it’s the community. I used to play COD, BF2, Project Reality and Enemy Territory (amongst others) and have a right laugh, but it seems like the online community is nowhere near as much fun as it used to be. To many asshats for me. As soon as it’s not fun anymore, what’s the point?

(I’m fully aware of how much of an old fart I sound. I’m holding my hand up to that…)

• Darth Gangrel says:

With previous articles saying there’s no campaign and Dice declaring that they always envisioned the game as being multiplayer focused, I kind of gave up on it. I don’t know how much singleplayer/offline content there is, but this at least hints at it not being entirely neglected, as if it’s just another Battlefield game, where any non-multiplayer stuff is merely an afterthought.

2. jezcentral says:

I wonder if this was a decision by the high-ups, or the AI guys just did something so wonderful that the devs decided to go with including the offline option.

3. Gothnak says:

Is this mode split screen on consoles? (Sorry PC master race allies, this is a sofa game for me and the wife…ooer…)

• SuicideKing says:

It’s only on consoles, sadly.

• neoncat says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO…. there was a brief glimmer of hope, quickly quashed.

I wonder whether EA or Michael Bay will end up having most thoroughly trashed my fond childhood memories.

4. tonicer says:

Maybe just maybe there will be an option to host servers with bots again … which they lost due to those damn consoles … it happened to Battlefield as well … the reduction of features is a real problem for game longevity … oh and unlocks are always just terrible.

5. Twigzy12 says:

Seems like only the fighter squadron mode will have the option for AI bots (10) on each side. Nothing about the ground combat, which is just stupid. There’s the survival mode with you and one other friend at most.
    Yeah, glamourize the offline portion as much as you can, because it’s going to be awful. Luckily I have the old Battlefront games, with their bots in space AND ground combat… Oh, how AI programmers have dropped off the earth all of a sudden.

6. peterako1989 says:

Let me see if I get this straight. This, a multiplayer centric game, will have an offline mode where no internet is required to play? And NFS a game that is not MP centric will be locked behind always online?

• SuicideKing says:

Fear not! This is EA. They’ll make them both online somehow.

7. SuicideKing says:

I’ll have to reinstall Origin, which essentially means I’m going to skip it.

You know, it’s sad that my reaction to most things in gaming these days is “meh” or “when it’s under $10”.

8. ramirezfm says:

Does “open for everyone” mean open for those without an Origin installed? No, of course not.

9. kael13 says:

You’re like those weirdos at school who refused to participate. Stop being such a Debbie downer!

10. Dog Pants says:

Not sure if I like the Luke of this personally, but if you were worried that a flaky internet connection would put you in Dengar of not being able to play it then this could be your wookie day.

11. Jay Load says:

Yeah…it’s getting a bite silly now, isn’t it? I mean, I love Origin the company very very much but I’m not going to whine about Origin the entirely harmless game client being on my PC.

12. Wings says:

I’m not sure I like the implication that my age us going to stop me from wrecking kids.

13. Nicolaus99 says:

I’m suddenly interested again. Thought I heard a while back that this was going to be online only multiplayer.

14. Xzi says:

Offline solo. But no campaign. Still shit.

• Xzi says:

Even worse considering they could have easily built a pretty awesome campaign out of the multiplayer maps alone. Add in some in-engine cutscenes, and bam, Star Wars game maybe worth getting excited about. Although they’d still need to get rid of their stupid matchmaking system and add a server browser, as well.

JiminyJickers says:

Awesome!!! I’m definitely giving it a try when it rolls around. Very good to hear that offline mode is definitely in.