Total Warhammer: Grudgebearer Vs. Greenskins Video

The first time we got a good look at the game inexplicably not named Total Warhammer [official site], the Greenskins and Empire were throwing down. With the latest gameplay trailer, we get to see fifteen minutes of Dwarves cracking Greenskin skulls after being ambushed underground. I bet High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer will be listing this in his Burn Book.

The short demo shows the ‘Ambush at the Thundering Falls’ Quest Battle, which I’m told is from early in the Dwarven campaign, where Thorgrim and pals cannon and brawl in the tunnels of the Underway.

Publishers Sega have made a big deal of fighting underground as being new to the series in this game, but they appear to mostly be plain old battlefields but narrower? I suppose that makes it more a straight-up rumble than a battle with plenty of flanking, but Total War has dabbled in canyons and other tight scraps before. Anyway! Sorry, I was getting into the Grudgebearing spirit there – I’ll turn you over to three folks from The Creative Assembly to watch the demo:

Total Warhammer is slated to launch some time in 2016. The battle shown in this demo will be playable at EGX in Birmingham later this month, if you’re swinging by there.

1. CurseYouAll says:

Looks pretty good overall but still there were two annoying things I noticed:

– they seemed to intentionally avoid any camera closeups of the units combat
    – particle effects were kind of bad

• Cinek says:

In last battle video people complained that they do too much closeups, this time people complain that they do too few closeups… jeez… no way to make you happy, is there?

• Tundra says:

I noticed that the Dwarven leader was under attack at one point and didn’t seem to have any animations. The goblins just swung in his general direction and he just trotted on like nothing had happened. But it’s still pretty early and the animations for all these heroes, monsters, and races must be a hell of a task so I’m not going to complain if there’s a few slightly wonky areas so long as the gameplay is solid.

• dorobo says:

pre alpha?

2. Wowbagger says:

Do we know what races will be included at launch? No Skaven means no buy from me.

• Ace Rimmer says:

Greenskins, Empire, Dwarfs, and Vampire Counts.

• Wowbagger says:

Thanks Smeg head, Think i’ll wait for the full GOTY with DLC release later then.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

As Arnie says above, although chaos may well be in purely as antagonists (they’ve been in a CGI* trailer). And a quote from CA’s PR stolen from That Other Site’s article: “it’s basically two very, very large standalone expansions which will all bolt together to form the whole world, and there’ll be free DLC and DLC drops in-between.” So yeah. If I had to guess I’d say one of those expansions would be elf fisticuffs, not sure what the other might be.

*Yes, yes, I know. I meant the prerendered stuff.

• bills6693 says:

My lore is not greatly remembered but I’d imagine a ‘new world’ expansion that brings in Lizardmen, High, Dark and Wood elves, and Skaven. (I know they’re not all new-world but it all ties together). Then maybe something more south/east, including tomb kings, ogres, chaos dwarves maybe, I think there were a few more races out that way. And chaos is probably an expansion for this one I’d think, but they’d need a lot of work to do all the stuff with choosing a god etc.

• Katar says:

If they add in High, Dark and Wood elves all together then Beastmen would be a natural choice to add as well. Then you’d have the High Elves and their mortal enemies Dark Elves, and Wood Elves and their primary enemy the Beastmen all added at the same time. I’d really like to see the High Elves in as they were my Warhammer army. It’s a bit depressing to visit the GW website and see virtually all the same models for High Elves from when I stopped playing in the late nineties still around, when a few select races (Chaos, Undead) have been redone about four or five times.

Have Chaos Dwarfs made a come back? They seemed to disappear in one of the early nineties versions of Warhammer.

• Ur-Quan says:

Nope Chaos Dwarves didn’t make a comeback.
            In fact Warhammer Fantasy is officially dead with Age of Sigmar being the new setting.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Forgeworld do a few chaos dwarfs, look for “legion of azgorh”. Nice models but, you know, forgeworld prices.

• Ferno says:

I’ll probably pick this up soon after launch if it’s stable but skaven/lizardmen are what I’m really waiting for!

3. JFS says:

Still bearing them old grudges, I see?

4. SomeDuder says:

OMG! A Warhammer Total War! SPACE MARINES, ATTAC- oh wait nvm its the BORING warhammer. UNSUBSCRIBED.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Not grimdark enough for you? Well, suit yourself. You’re not worthy anyway.

5. klops says:

I’m sure the AI is competent and good.

• Ur-Quan says:

I love how they try to praise the AI’s use of the cavalry when the guy playing does literally nothing…
      I’ve long since given up on expecting any improvements in their AI.

Silva says:

I’m sure it’s hard to really get improvements to the AI. Because even what we have now in games isn’t really AI. It’s pseudo-AI. It can’t think for itself beyond the limited instructions that the developers give it.

I can only imagine the insanity of creating one that can weigh all the possible actions it can take during something like a Total War battle. These aren’t simple decisions.

Think about all the timing, positions, stats, etc. It must be absolutely monstrous to even begin to consider, nevermind try to make.

I think CA can be forgiven that they aren’t AI pioneers.

• Ur-Quan says:

Well noone is expecting miracles.
          On the other hand with every game they promise huge improvements in the AI and with every game they AI tends to be WORSE at launch. In Rome 2 the AI couldn’t use siege equipment for months after release.

Silva says:

Right, I agree wholeheartedly that there are some bare minimums that are, indeed, not met by opening day.

Pathfinding is another thing that is complicated but is pretty much necessary for it to not mess everything up that comes afterward. And was messed up fairly bad.

6. Heavenfall says:

The lady in red is a developer? Her commentary seems really weird, like just inbetween a reviewer and a developer. Half her comments are “Wow, that’s awesome!” and the other half is quite detailed knowledge of the game mechanics…

• iniudan says:

Nope, her work is public relation, she did say herself that she’s a community coordinator.

• Morph says:

She’s has a you tube channel where she talks about Games Workshop and the like. Don’t know if this is her job as well.

7. hennedo says:

Community coordinator, so she’d know a good amount of the crunchy stuff but would be focused on the human reaction side of things.

8. Ufofighter says:

The amount of possible DLCs for this game could make The Sims 3 a bargain.

9. trooperwally says:

That was some nice passive-aggressive commentary:

“it’s best to use your gyrocopters to stay at a distance and attack their melee troops. If you just leave your gyrocopters next to their ranged units, like Al’s doing, then they’ll get shot at and routed”

10. Horg says:

You had me at beard armour.

11. racccoon says:

Great job

12. Phier says:

After the horror that was Rome 2, and just generally disappointment from CA since Empire, I’m going to be holding off on this one for quite a while.

13. drewski says:

warhammer warhammer warhammer warhammer

Couldn’t give a stuff about the unit combat tbh. I spend about zero seconds ever zoomed in. I’m a general dammit, I don’t care how that dude’s axe clips through a spider’s leg. Hopefully the AI is at least…not laughable. That’s all I want. That + Warhammer = endless gleegasms.