Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch Crusading Onto PC

The Warhammer 40,000 game I’d really like is still Dawn of War 3, but in the meantime I shall need to investigate other opportunities to wear a big ole skull on my crotch.

Rodeo Games, the folks behind Warhammer Quest, have announced that they’re bringing another mobile doodad over to PC a little fancied up, and this one has all the crotchskulls I demand – Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch [official site]. It’s a turn-based tactical affair about hunting down and squishing those naughty Tyranids, from cities to the guts of bio-ships, while expanding, levelling up, and equipping your Deathwatch Kill Team.

The Deathwatch, by the way, are a special Space Marine chapter who draw together chaps from loads of different chapters to hunt aliens. They get to play with some of the fanciest Space Marine toys, including heretical alien tech, because they need every edge they can get when e.g. hunting Tyranids.

The PC port has been “remastered and upgraded”, Rodeo say, with new dynamic lighting and special effects, new Space Marines from other chapters, and a new UI with customisable controls for keyboard and mouse. You can still tell the art was made with small screens in mind, but that’s fine.

Adam was quiet fond of their ported Warhammer Quest, so I’m quietly hopeful. Building and upgrading a Deathwatch squad sounds pretty good to me.

Deathwatch is coming to Steam on October 20th.

1. Sathure says:

The Warhammer 40k game I really want is Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of Total War…

2. Da5e says:

GW licensing really need to lay down the law about the music being BAD AND WRONG in these things. Martin from Bolt Thrower died yesterday, where are the tributes? Eh?

• slerbal says:

I totally agree with you. That was the worst use of music I’ve seen in a trailer for a long time. Have they ever actually read or watched anything about the 40k universe? The music alone was enough to totally put me off the game.

Martin from Bolt Thrower is dead? That is very sad – he must have been still comparatively young. I remember fondly walking into the original Hammersmith Games Workshop in the 80s and always hearing Bolt Thrower playing. I still mentally associated 40k with that type of heavy metal. Sad tidings :(

3. lowprices says:

It’s a sad reflection of our society that you even feel you have to justify the wearing of crotchskulls.

You do you, Alice. Even when the “You” is a terrifying, 9-foot tall Murderperson in power armour.

4. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I’m confused, that trailer had something approximating to rock music. For a 40k game. I was expecting some mariachi/dupstep/beethoven crossover affair.

Sorry, the trailer didn’t have much gameplay, so I have to settle for snark. Another for my “keep an eye on” list.

5. Kollega says:

The trailer music is so Call of Duty it hurts. When are we going to get something more appropriate to the ludicrous insanity of the setting, like a Commissar Fuklaw simulator?

Or better yet, a Deff Skwadron video game. That would be so fun.

6. Wowbagger says:

In the grim darkness of the 41St millennium there is only licenses, endless licenses.

7. Auru says:

I really hope we get some good Warhammer Fantasy (Total War!) or 40k (Gothic?) games soon.. you guys at RPS seem to love to cover anything Warhammery but most of the time they have been really poor games compared to games gone by.. Dawn of War/Vengeance of the Blood Angels/Dark Omen we miss you :(

8. NetharSpinos says:

I think the alarm bells first went off with the “mobile doodad” line and haven’t stopped ringing since I finished watching the trailer. I’d ask why GW can’t seem to give out the license to decent, experienced developers anymore but I think I already know the answer.

9. mouton says:

I am sorry, but Warhammer Quest was just horrible. Even ignoring the fact that straight boardgame-to-computergame conversion is usually a bad idea, with RNG often deciding the outcome, it was a terrible mobile port with atrocious microtransactions and broken ingame economy nudging you to purchase gold for real money. Just no, no, no, NO. Not touching anything they make unless it comes with a breathing clone of the Immortal Emperor himself.

10. kritt says:

How about “Horus Heresy: A Telltale Games Series”?

11. PixelBeep says:

This is a game I wholeheartedly recommend. I have been doing a commented playthrough series since July, have now finished the main campaign on Normal and am starting on veteran. Feel free to get a taste of the game here: link to youtube.com

12. Syra says:

This game is quite enjoyable while sitting on the toilet with an ipad – I really liked it in that setting – but it’s not all that tactical or challenging and I don’t ever see myself sitting down infront of a PC and playing this over anything else.

13. mattevansc3 says:

At the rate GamesWorkshop seem to be dishing out licenses I wouldn’t be surprised if they announced a Squat’s match three puzzle game by Christmas.

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Warhammer Quest: 40k edition. I find Warhammer Quest to be.. palatable, but falls short of being good.