All Aboard: World Of Warships Launches

World of Warships [official site] has set sail for… oh god, I don’t know enough naval terminology for this news story. World of Warships is out. In the water. The water of the internet. The game has released. That’s what I’m trying to say.

I think that the longer I go without playing World of Warplanes, World of Tanks and now World of Warships the more I start thinking of them as actual worlds. Little globes inhabited by armoured vehicles, unaware of each other’s existence until one day a portal opens and a tank discovers the seaside or the joy of flight or something.

“No, Jimmy Tank! Get down from there, you’ll hurt yourself!”

“But mum, I can fly!”

The resultant tale would probably be a modern reworking of the story of Icarus combined with the Little Mermaid and Aladdin – a tank that flew too close to the sun to impress a prince and plummeted into the ocean where he met an evil sea witch and gave her his voice in exchange for the power of not going rusty except after the long trek to shore the prince no longer recognises him because he can’t fly so he has to defeat the sea witch and use his voice to barter for a magic flying carpet and then the prince falls in love with him and they sing A Whole New World and have a reality TV show.

Anyway, here is some information about the ships in this here free-to-play historical combat thingumajigger:

“Cruisers are incredibly versatile vessels, ready to take on any other ship in the game and pick off scuttled opponents. Destroyers are quick and maneuverable, able to dodge enemy fire and deliver a well-executed torpedo strike. Battleships are heavy-hitting powerhouses, perfect for dealing massive damage. Finally, tactical Aircraft Carriers bring a real-time strategy dynamic, with scout planes to enemy vessels and torpedo bombers dropping their devastating payload.”

The game’s been in beta for a while now so if you’ve achieved a level 9 service record you can also access Ranked Battles straight away – the matches there are 7v7 Domination format rather than the 12v12 of regular PvP an dthe first season lasts 6 weeks.

Ahoy! Port holes! Splice the main brace! Sailing! Gunwhale! etc

1. Bundin says:

Fun game in the lower tiers, but I did my share of techtree grinding in World of Tanks and can’t really be bothered with that anymore. Well worth a look though, especially with 2 mates and voice chat.

2. jasta85 says:

I quite enjoy this, note that once you hit the mid tiers you will definitely feel the grind, but the gameplay is pretty fun so I definitely recommend it if you’re looking for some naval combat action.

3. Hunchback says:

Is it still PvE only?

• oWn4g3 says:

The “World of X” games have always been PvP focused games.

• Hunchback says:

I am pretty sure back then when it all started with WoWS, they said they are making it PvE only (for the time) since they couldn’t figure out how to deal with proper PvP. PvE in CoOp, mind you, but still PvE only.
        So… ?

• Hawkseraph says:

Doesn’t even HAVE PvE anymore.

• LordBilisknir says:

It does have PvE – you have to select it from the dropdown at the top of the garage? (harbour?) which reads Random Battle (this is also where you select Ranked mode)

• Asurmen says:

Hasn’t been PvE only for awhile.

4. Pantalaimon says:

Their reluctance to ever try implementing submarines remains a complete dealbreaker, especially given their flimsy justification that ‘submarines are glass cannons’ (just like tank destroyers in World of Tanks, then).

Not just that it’s a complete flavour killer, but if you think of the coolest parts of naval history from the past century they all involve submarines (with honourable mentions to destroyers).

• tehfish says:

I’m not entirely sure that could work gameplay-wise. Though i’d be interested to see a test version of it.

Could potentially be incredibly annoying to play against, bit like a well hidden sniper in a FPS…

• Asurmen says:

Not sure what submarines would provide that isn’t already done by destroyers

• Askis says:

Subs generally weren’t part of the big fleet battles that WoWS is all about.
      Subs were extremely slow, the fastest Sub in WW2 went about 19 knots when submerged, most were around 15-18 knots with their top speeds usually only reached when surfaced and therefore vulnerable.
      Except for the earliest American ones, even Aircraft Carriers are faster than that.
      With the map sizes in the game, trying to react to changing situations with a Submarine that slow would be impossible.
      In game terms, their armament would be laughable, 4 torpedos per volley mostly, small salvos like that are easily avoided by anyone paying attention.

There’s just no place for them in WoWS, Destroyers do what Subs would do, with the speed and maneuverability to get out of a bad situation.
      If you want sub-like gameplay, try the Japanese Destroyers, they tend to have torpedoes with enough range that they won’t get spotted, so you can ambush unaware opponents.

Don Reba says:

Just wait for the World of Subs.

5. tehfish says:

I’m enjoying this a lot.

I don’t play it consistently, but doing 2-3 battles when i’m in the mood can be great fun :)

I particularly like trying to be sneaky with destroyers (once i surprised a completely unguarded enemy aircraft carrier at near point blank range :D Pew pew)

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Philippa Warr-ships

7. Thornback says:

Looks like the Royal Navy aren’t in yet.

Can’t even conceive of playing until I can toot my British horn at people.

8. AriochRN says:

Messing about with boats? Reminds me of something I heard on Radio 1 one afternoon…

9. neoncat says:

Pip plays WoT/WoW/WoW now???? Oh wait, you’d be on the euro servers. We really need a yankee contingent… :(