20XX Is A Mega Man Roguelite, In Early Access Now

I’ve played a Castlevania Roguelike and I’ve played a Doom Roguelike, but I never expected to play a a Mega Man Roguelike. 20XX [official site], now in beta and available through Steam Early Access, plays more like the speedy, acrobatic Mega Man X series than vanilla Mega Man, with all of the dashing and wall-jumping you can handle. Built to support local or online two player co-op, it’s an action platformer made up of procedurally generated levels, randomly scattered power-ups and weapons, and big ol’ boss fights. It looks fantastic.

“20XX is a game built to feel like Mega Man X, but with random levels, random powerups, permanent death, and multiplayer. The game uses a procedural level generation algorithm that pieces together levels from a certain number of mechanics at a time; it switches rapidly between playing like an action game and playing like a platformer, mixing precision jumping with fevered combat.

“Add in permadeath and over 100 powerups to find in between agonizing deaths and you’ve got hours of nail-biting jumping-and-shooting goodness on your hands.”

Playing the Mega Man Legacy Collection helped me to accept the fact that I do not like hard-as-nails platformers with simple control schemes. I feel like I’m walking in concrete shoes if I can’t double-jump, wall-jump, flip about the place a bit, and slash baddies into bits with some sort of melee attack. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate some of the level design in those games but I much prefer the style of Mega Man X. 20XX, then, is a lovely surprise.

I haven’t had time to play yet but it’s crept onto my ever-growing list of Good Looking Games. Chances are I’ll shift it toward the top.

1. BTAxis says:

Oh.

I was feeling quite glum about life, the universe and everything. This cheered me right up.

2. BooleanBob says:

I’m sorry, but floating damage numbers and Megaman are simply two irreconcilable concepts.

• KDR_11k says:

Yeah, normally you have to count the pips on a health bar to know how many points of damage you did (provided it’s not one of those bosses who actually have more than 32 HP and each pip represents multiple hit points).

• Razumen says:

Why would you say that? Looks fine to me. Or is this one of those things where crusty old fans will accept no changes at all to their beloved formula?

• rexx.sabotage says:

Yeah, I also want the pips but, I could still enjoy the bejesus out of this.

• JeepBarnett says:

The gameplay style in this looks more like Castlevania. If you’re looking for a good Mega Man Rougelite check out Mercenary Kings. It has an art inspired by Metal Slug, but the movement and enemies are very Mega Man: link to store.steampowered.com

3. Geko says:

The sentence which includes “I never expected to play a a Mega Man Roguelike” contains a link to a page with a Mega Man Roguelike.

link to slashie.net

4. Trelow says:

Instabought based on title. Time to read the writeup.

5. Nixitur says:

This looks right up my alley, but it also looks like a game that Capcom would have something to say about, simply based on graphical similarity.

• Xzi says:

Fuck ’em. There’s no way it’s similar enough to have solid footing for legal recourse.

JiminyJickers says:

Unless it is an exact copy with only minor changes, like adding a doohickey or changing the colours, they can get stuffed.

6. ikanreed says:

They really do include a major corporation’s trademark in their own self-description.

I can’t help but think that’s lawsuit bait.

• Xzi says:

They do? It says it’s a game “meant to feel like Mega Man X.” That’s just the name of a game, which anyone can reference without fear of lawsuit. It’s not a trademark unless they use the exact same font and graphics/aesthetic of the Mega Man X intro logo.

• Emeraude says:

I know the term is willfully misleading, but “intellectual property” does not actually entail the property of ideas (supposedly at least).

As long as their own execution is not fully copying assets and presentation from the original, I think it’s safe to say they’re allowed to have their own shot at the genre.

Can you imagine this in any other medium ? Mamoru Oshii mentioning “he stole” a shot from the Wachowski Brothers, how he was inspired by Tarkovsky’s Stalker, and immediately the reaction becomes “I can’t help but think that’s lawsuit bait.” ?
      Or am I getting too disconnected and this is the norm now even for other media ?

• ikanreed says:

I didn’t use the term “Intellectual Property.” It’s not that the games are similar, it’s that they say “20XX: co-op roguelike megaman”.

That could imply falsely, that it’s approved of by Capcom, or is similarly related to the Megaman line of products.

That kinda thing will get you in trouble fast. If there’s even a reasonable chance that a consumer could be confused, that’s lawsuit territory.

• Emeraude says:

I didn’t use the term “Intellectual Property.”

Well, you did mention trademark, didn’t you ?

That being said, fair enough I guess. Just because it’s not misleading to us doesn’t mean it cannot be, and they probably should tighten the presentation to make it clear they’re not related to Capcom.