Delightful Shmup Death Ray Manta SE Released, Includes Source Code So You Can Tweak Or Copy It

Indie (whatever that means, etc) stalwart Rob ‘RetroRemakes / OddBob’ Fearon, of War Twat fame (as well as an RPS comments regular), has just released his latest hallucinatory deathtrip shmup, Death Ray Manta SE. It’s a rebuilt, remixed, Steam-hosted version of his well-received 2012 title Death Ray Manta, which had the twin goals of being a sensory-overload arena shooter in the Minter tradition and trying to encourage a more open, co-operative approach to game-making by letting players fiddle with its data files. Hence the DRM jibe of the acronym, essentially. The new version goes even further: you can pick it up as part of a bundle which includes its source code and a basic edition of GameMaker. The dev is cheerfully expecting any amount of sweeping changes, a slew of clones and cheeky re-attribution as a result.

The weekly Humble Bundle it’s part of is here, and includes the likes of Super Crate Box, Spoiler Alert, 10 Second Ninja, Stealth Bastard and Wasteland Kings, source code for all of which is also available depending on how much you pay over the average. I might just do a separate post about the bundle and its dev-encouraging focus, but I wanted to focus on the DRM SE here because it’s the brand new game. Here’s some of Fearon’s plans for the source code release:

Aw, basically.

While obviously the SE version has a great deal in common with the 2012 one, “it’s been rebuilt entirely from scratch to run at 60fps, fairly smoothly, with more bigger better flashier lights to flash at yourself. Also now with two sticks not one so everyone can shut up about ‘have you thought about making it a twin stick shooter'”, Fearon tell us. Assorted other devs pitched in, with the collaboration referred to as ‘The Future Of Videogames.’ I like that.

Let’s have a look at the aforementioned flashy lights:

It’s available on Steam and Itch.io as well as that bundle, with a 10% launch discount at the former, but in any case it’s less than £3/$4. Fearon’s talked about pricing, storefronts and how it all effects him personally here, which I very much encourage reading whether or not you’re interested in the game, but particularly if you are considering buying it.

Oh look I seem to have left something here

FKG6I-4GI2B-88KNC
7W0R6-CQ29B-6X9JB

Top comments

1. RobF says:

Thanks for the post <3

I haven't actually got the bundle myself yet (I really am that skint at the mo) but I've had a read of the forums and it seems there's some sort of weirdy "cover all bases license" stuff that YoYo are using. Which I understand and it's fine, I get they've got a bundle to sell and other devs won't be quite as comfortable as I am with folks fiddling.

BUT. For the avoidance of doubt, if anyone makes anything from the source code or with the assets, even if that anything is just changing my name on the title screen to theirs then I am absolutely cool with this. If folks want to gut it entirely and use it as the base for their stuff, I am fine with this. If you have the source code from Humble then it's OK to use it for whatever you want and honestly, if it leads to a load of bizarre-o-world attempts at putting DRM on Android and charging £900 for them, I'll just laugh my head off at that. Make stuff for fun, sell stuff. I don't care! More power to anyone who can.

And for folks who might just want to rag out the assets and make their own thing with them, I'll be uploading them to my site later. There's a few games out there that use some of my old stuff to give folks a head start and that's always cheered me up.

(Plus, one of the unwritten bonuses of having the source code out there is that if folks disagree with one of my design decisions, they can just go in and change them if they want)

Also, I'd watch where you're putting those things. They're slippery buggers. I mean just look at the mess here. It's awful.

EQXX9-3LCAY-EIB7N
    Z39HV-4MC7G-IRIQC
    QYAY4-K4EBW-2WZBK
    CCGFT-JGJPV-DFQK0
    EIRTG-DX6BZ-N3K03
    WEEVI-XX7L2-KNC8B
    LM7JE-NCPMP-7R644
    CI6QK-G2MZB-D4LG7
    EQ7CR-TDLVL-EPE8P
    ZKB09-0V4GQ-6GW9E

I hope someone's got a mop.
  1. NinjaPenguinDan says:

I was lucky enough to catch the second code. Thank you very, very much! It looks quite flashy and explodey, but I’ll have to play it for a bit before I can offer any really helpful review-type comments.

2. Smashbox says:

This headline is a masterpiece of extremely specialized communication – like reading the title of an abstract in an insect-migration scientific journal or something. Imagine a time traveller (or a 60 year old) trying to make sense of it.

• Smashbox says:

Original hed: War Twat Dev’s Death Ray Manta Out, Plus Source Code

3. Llewyn says:

I’ve said it before, but I don’t care: can’t help but like Rob Fearon. I’ve no interest in his games and don’t agree with many of his opinions but his thoughts are always worth reading.

4. RobF says:

Thanks for the post <3

EQXX9-3LCAY-EIB7N
    Z39HV-4MC7G-IRIQC
    QYAY4-K4EBW-2WZBK
    CCGFT-JGJPV-DFQK0
    EIRTG-DX6BZ-N3K03
    WEEVI-XX7L2-KNC8B
    LM7JE-NCPMP-7R644
    CI6QK-G2MZB-D4LG7
    EQ7CR-TDLVL-EPE8P
    ZKB09-0V4GQ-6GW9E

I hope someone's got a mop.

5. MeatMan says:

*reads headline*

What is a shump? :P

6. kinglog says:

Grabbed QYAY4-K4EBW-2WZBK – thanks so much! I’ve tried to get into gamemaker more than once, will try again – easier to tweak something than it is to do everything from scratch.

• RobF says:

Cool! Just a heads up that the Steam version by itself doesn’t come with the source code *yet* for bundling reasons but that’s not going to be the situation forever.

• kinglog says:

Ha this is up there with the time Old Man Murray answered an email from me about reviewing ‘Project I’m Going In’ – thanks for the reply. I don’t know much about ‘shumps’ later than say Pheonix or Astro Blaster so looking forward to checking it out

7. MiniMatt says:

That was dead interesting, as we used to say in the 80s, when it were all fields round ‘ere.

May I be so bold as to suggest there is room to further mine this emerald vein of pricing opinion? I’d perhaps also suggest countering with Cliffski, undoubtedly well known to you, and occasional visitor of this parish – his games I love, but I get the impression I’d not be so impressed of Cliffski’s politics – whilst Rob’s games are…. well, not for me if I’m honest, but I get the impression from that linked post I’d *love* his politics.

So, given I’m quite open to being challenged in my politics and my game choices, this strikes me as an ideal interview opportunity. Please make it so RPS. Because Rob seems lovely, and Cliff makes lovely games. And vice versa, natch.

• MiniMatt says:

bottoms, arse, poo, forgot to close the blockquote. This is why I don’t make games. Or HTML.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You made me visualise a pert bottom in 3/4 profile with watery poo streaks and some bits of used toilet paper stuck to it. Congratulations, you have influenced another mind.

• MiniMatt says:

As my parents would doubtless say, “If only he used his powers for good”