Rocket League DLC: REVENGE OF THE BATTLECARS

Oh man, I’d be so good at Rocket League [official site] by now, if only MGSV hadn’t been released and stolen all my time just after I started playing it in earnest. I can sprint-punch a donkey and fire it into the air in a heartbeat, but no way I could car-kick a ball into a goal on random servers now, I suspect. Graham, can I take a week off to practice? I need to so I can write about the excellently-named upcoming second DLC, Revenge of the Battle-Cars. Yes? Great, see you in a week.

First observation: REVENGE OF THE BATTLE-CARS is the best name for DLC ever.

Second observation: the contents don’t sound particularly exciting unless you’re really, really into the decoration stuff.

Included in the $4 pack are:

– 2 new cars, which are in fact recreations of the Scarab and Zippy cars from Rocket League precursor Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars.
– 6 new decals for each of those cars
– 3 new paint types – Toon Glossy, Toon Matte, Toon Wood. ‘Toon wood’ is a phrase which unnerves me a little.
– 2 new wheels, which are the Scarab and Zippy wheels
– 2 new rocket boosts, named Accelerato and Battle-Stars. Accelerato sounds like atchoo in Italian to me.
– 4 new toppers, aka car hats – Cavalier, Locomotive, Pixelated Shades, Shark Fin.
– 2 new antennas – Retro Balls from SARPBC. What a funny coincidence, Retro Balls is what I call Mario games.
– Some new Achievements.

Additionally, all Rocket League owners are getting some visual frippery for freesies. The Urban Station map will get a Night skin and Utopia Coliseum a Dusk one, while there’ll also be a clutch of new country and community flags to decorate yourself and your profile with.

Here go trailer fast trailer go go trailer:

That’s due out next month, but exact date is TBC. Devs Psyonix also confirm that Rocket League has sold over a million copies on Steam alone, and its first DLC Supersonic Fury managed over 600,000 sales, which is a pretty bloody impressive take-up for DLC.

1. caff says:

I do like this game and despite normally avoiding DLC I’ll give this a shot.

2. Rob Lang says:

I’ve enjoyed it more than the £15 I paid for it, happy to give the developers more cash in return for some frivolity. This sort of DLC is a bit like the donate button except you’re getting something for it.

3. Foosnark says:

I really dig the Pearlescent paint from the first DLC, and the price seemed fair (compared to something like $12 for a non-combat outfit in a certain MMO I am getting annoyed with all over again).

I kind of like the design of the Scarab car, but I’m not sure whether I’ll be getting this one.

• Dromph says:

Yeah, the pearlescent finish is really great and the Takumi is my favourite car by far.
      Still on the fence if I should buy this one or not, we’ll see.

By the way, they also announced that the two new maps will be the last vanilla maps for a while, so they’ll very likely get into some funky stuff in the near future.

4. PseudoKnight says:

I still prefer an expansion pack model to a DLC model, but this isn’t too bad. Keep in mind, though, that there are performance differences between different cars — collision box height and width, turning radius, power slide, weight. So this isn’t purely cosmetic.

• gunny1993 says:

This is true but these differences are so small that unless you’re playing at a really high level of skill, it wont matter.

I mean I’ve never noticed it or spoken to anyone who has and there are no in game stats about it (?) so it must be pretty damn small.

• PseudoKnight says:

It’s very noticeable if you look for it. I was still semi-pro (level 10-20, around 22 hours) when we started taking it into consideration. Today my friend got a goal that he wouldn’t have gotten if he hadn’t been driving the Merc (in exchange for it’s terrible cornering), but we would have thought it was coincidence if we didn’t know better. I’m using a very light and maneuverable car so I get tossed around a lot. It remains to be seen if the competitive community chooses the DLC cars over the standard ones. Hopefully it never becomes an issue. I’d love to see some official stats in game, though.

• Dromph says:

The Merc is “trash tier” by the way. But the differences are incredibly small, you see the pros constantly switching cars all the time. It doesn’t matter all that much and you can pick what you’re most comfortable with.

• PseudoKnight says:

You say the differences are “incredibly small” but then call the Merc a “trash tier”? Isn’t that telling?

• Asurmen says:

No there isn’t. The only difference is hitboxes and it’s slight.

• PseudoKnight says:

I specifically made this post because it’s a common misconception. The tallest car is something like ~77% taller than the shortest car. The differ on width too. If you want to see a difference, go drive around and power slide with a Merc and then go drive around and power slide with a Breakout. That’s not a slight difference.

• Asurmen says:

I’m going to take word of the devs over internet posts.

• PseudoKnight says:

What did the devs say? As a dev myself, I’d take reproduceable tests any day. I told you to try it and all you did was stick your fingers in your ears. Good job. Look, I’m not attacking the developers here. I’m having a great time with their game and gush about it to friends.