Chaotic: Life Is Strange Ep 5 Probably Out October 20th

Pip, Adam, and I never did reconvene to talk about Episode 4 of Life Is Strange [official site] because whoa. Like, whoa. And that wasn’t even the cliffhanger. I mean, whoa.

Well, in not-forever you’ll hear our thoughts on the whole time-travelling mystery adventure game shebang, assuming we aren’t stunned again. Developers Dontnod Entertainment today announced that they plan, hope, and want to release the concluding fifth episode on October 20th, assuming work continues smoothly.

Dontnod explain in a post on the blog of publishers Square Enix:

“We don’t normally announce a date until we know the game is 100% ready but in the spirit of Max’s birthday (today) we wanted to let you know early that we are aiming to release Episode 5 ‘Polarized’ October 20.

“Many things can change in the lead up to release but the team are working really hard to try and hit this date. We know the wait may be a bit longer than some of you were hoping for but we want to ensure Episode 5 is the best it can be.”

Happy birthday, Max. Life Is Strange got off a slightly awkward start, but really found its stride by Episode 3 then 4 was… did I mention all the whoa-ing? It’s become one of my favourite new games, and I am very keen to see where it all goes. I think I’ve done well enough across the series that things might turn out okay, but that is a pretty big tornado headed towards Arcadia Bay.

gritz says:

Even with towering opuses like MGSV and The Witcher 3… Life Is Strange will probably end up being my game of the year.

It’s been a good year.

Carra says:

Much to my surprise this is my favorite game this year. Gripped me after playing for 15 mins and didn’t let me go.

• jellydonut says:

Pretty much. And now all I want is more games like this.

Anyone?

• caff says:

I’m in the GOTY camp too, even though there’s been a slew of other excellent games this year, they’ve pulled off something charming and special with this.

2. Robert Post's Child says:

Really been enjoying this, even despite having to replay after an unfortunate loss of save file due to cloud nonsense. Super stoked for the finale.

Hodge says:

My most anticipated thing of the year and it’s (probably) arriving the day after my birthday. That works out quite nicely.

• Arkayjiya says:

It’s not quite my most anticipated thing of the year (Star Wars T_T) but it’s a close second.
      I wanted to buy it for month and finally did it this summer. God it was awesome. I won’t say everything I hoped it would be because it took me two episode to get a sense of what it was actually about (not that everything is still entirely clear) but god did I love it. I’m happy to have to wait now, because the wait will probably end up making the game more memorable in the end. Not yet sure if it’s my GoTY (Pillars of Eternity and W3 are quite tempting too) but… Yeah who am I kidding, probably GotY.

4. Sentinel Red says:

Arrrrrg, I hoped it would be end of this month, the last couple of months have dragged like a bastard after *that* cliffhanger.

And yeah, there are better playing games, there are better written games, there are better looking games but this is still far and away my Game of the Year because it’s got a certain je ne sais quoi that’s affected me a way few things have of late. Love it, can’t wait for Episode 5.

• keithzg says:

The cliffhanger weirdly didn’t really grab me that much, in part because (and frankly I don’t know why, I can’t actually back this up with a rational train of thought) I kindof expected it since the first episode. But that’s only part of it, and in fact that it kindof didn’t seem out of left field (but made sense that Max wouldn’t have suspected) has me quite okay with the twist. It’s more that, wait, this is the last episode? Can’t I rewind time and change something so we get more?

5. BloatedGuppy says:

In a year veritably packed with deserving GOTY candidates, it pleases me greatly that this quirky little adventure game is likely to be one of them. Through four episodes it’s been absolutely fantastic.

6. Monggerel says:

I hate this game more than I can even put into words.
    I hate it so much I think it’s actively making me into a worse person in my general everyday life. You know that thing from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream? The thing about Hate and Nano-angstroms? Yeah, that. Allied Mastercomputer don’t know shit about hate.

Life is Strange is literally the end of everything. We are the generation that bought more shoes and I suppose hair products and now we’re all sons of bitches.
    Fffffffffff

/delusional, near-psychotic rant over

• Arkayjiya says:

I… What? Well I guess it was needed to balance all those GotY nominations from the other post. Good on you to bring down the hammer of karmic psychotic justice!

• zapatapon says:

That was actually a really great rant. Lewis Black, is that you?

• Deano2099 says:

I don’t know about the game but we haven’t had a Johnny Boy reference on RPS since Kieron left so I approve.

• pistachio says:

lemme guess, you found four out of five bottles so far? that got me into roughly the same state anyhow.

• Canisa says:

Hey, don’t get too worked up about it, man. There’s a popular campsite near by that’s bound to have an empty beer bottle or two.

• Phil says:

Yeah, that was the worst ‘collect the tokens to advance the plot’ puzzle I’ve seen in a long time. Not helped by the fact that once I *had* collected the bottles, I couldn’t find Cloe afterwards! The background was so cluttered that I just couldn’t pick her out & went round and round for ages looking for her.

But you know what? It doesn’t matter – the rest of the game is so good that these flaws seem small in comparison, even if they would have been dealbreakers in a lesser game.

• rmsgrey says:

Chloe’s right where you left her – it’s only finding that campsite that left me reaching for Google – which led me to spoilers and a better ending for Episode 2, so, y’know, could have gone worse.

Anyway, yeah, the mandatory bottle hunt is probably the worst part of the game so far – with the conversation with Frank in Episode 4 and the Diner scene in Episode 2 being runners-up.

7. zapatapon says:

My feelings about that game are… strange. On the one hand, I’m not really taken by the overall plot: too many threads that don’t really work well together, some really unnecessary filler moments and a very uneven pacing. I can’t possibly see this all converging to any satisfying conclusion in the final episode. Also, I regularly want to slap Max.

On the other hand… I don’t care about all that. I am simply in love with the art direction — the apparent simplicity combined with a painstaking care for detail, a real eye for cinematography, the incredible lighting, the sense of place and mood. It’s really something quite unique that leaves me in awe. It has such a consistent presence of its own that it more than makes up for the disjointed plot. And I like all non-Max characters. In the end I am just happy to follow around and enjoy each scene separately, even if they don’t connect into a very coherent whole, and it’s still one of my best game experiences of the year.

gritz says:

The animation and cinematography really do set this game apart from its peers. Telltale did a great job with Wolf Among Us, but still isn’t quite on the same level. Dreamfall Chapters looks downright amateur in comparison.

• Phil says:

Agreed: this game has flaws, no doubt about it. But, but! The art direction is just lovely, as befits a game whose central character is studying photography; the writing, whilst uneven to start with, has got progressively better as the episodes progressed & it has an emotional heart that seems to just grab hold of you & not let go.

I know the plot is straight out of a TV melodrama, but somehow it just doesn’t matter: I need closure, dammit!

8. Phil says:

NB. Have you guys seen this analysis of David’s log data? link to youtube.com