The Bald And Delayed: Hitman Pushed Back To March

Curses. Hitman [official site] was supposed to be the icing on the cake of 2015. Its not-strictly-episodic release format meant there’d only be a single slice of iced sponge available on launch day but having seeing the game up close, I reckon that might be enough to satisfy my sandbox murder-needs. IO Interactive have just announced that the initial release date has been pushed back to March 2016. Full details below.

It sounds like the delay might relate to a steady and solid post-launch release schedule as much as the initial chunk of game:

“We want to make absolutely sure you all get the best possible experience when you join, so we’ve made the difficult decision to move the initial release date to March 2016. These few extra months will mean we can add more to the launch content of the game, more than we had originally planned, and then follow with a tighter frequency of updates, which ultimately will create a better game for everyone. And in the end, that’s what we’re all looking for.”

IO go on to describe the sheer size and density of the locations in the game, using the rather spiffy image below.

“To give you a sense of the scale when it comes to our various locations, we’ve compared our Paris Showstopper mission to the largest level in Hitman: Absolution. As you can see, lots of challenges, plenty of space to set up death traps, and a huge supply of targets for Contracts mode.

“Moving a launch date is never an easy decision, we know it’s frustrating to have to wait a bit longer for the game, but we truly believe it will mean we can deliver a better launch and overall experience. We’ll share more details next week about the full release schedule and scope of HITMAN in general so keep a look out for that.”

Hopefully that last part means we’ll soon learn more about which locations are coming and when.

1. Ogun says:

Having a huge gap between the release of a Hitman game and that execrable bloody movie is no bad thing.

• manny says:

Does seem like a publicity move. But their ‘episodey game’ announcement was not welcomed at all. So seems to me they may be releasing a demo level.

2. Herr_C says:

Good, one less (potently) good game coming this year :)

• BobbyDylan says:

Though now with HOI-4, XCOM 2, Stellaris and now Hitman, Q1 2016 is starting to look pretty crowded in itself.

3. DeadInHell says:

I’m more than happy to wait if it means the game is going to get the time it needs to live up to its potential. I’m really looking forward to this, it seems like a return to the spirit of the franchise alongside a host of gameplay and technological advancements.

4. caff says:

I don’t mind. I just hope the base game has some kind of “poetic” ending, like Blood Money?

• jonahcutter says:

One of the greatest endings in any media. And yet something that could of only been done in a game.

It would be very hard to match something so damn good.

5. Freud says:

I would have thought it was impossible to fail with a Hitman game since the concept is so strong and the previous games (especially Blood Money) showed you how to do it.

Glad they realized they screwed up with Absolution and I hope they get it right.

6. freedomispopular says:

I’m always amazed by the difference in the community here versus PC Gamer. The comments over there are always so full of cynicism and vitriol. Really makes RPS such a more pleasant site to visit.

• DarkFenix says:

One of the main reasons I stick around here a lot rather than any other gaming site. It’s not perfect here, but the level of civility, maturity and basic human decency is generally much higher.

7. Banks says:

Bummer, I was super eager to play this and now It’s releasing close to XCOM, Deus Ex and Dark Souls 3.

Crazy.

• Cronstintein says:

Looks like Q1 2016 will have a good batch of games coming. I never complain about delays. If it ain’t ready, don’t put it out.

But I do wish companies would stop chasing the holiday dollars and start spreading out the releases more evenly throughout the year.

8. jezcentral says:

It’s a shame, but the reaction from the internet made this inevitable. It doesn’t sound like they need the time for extra polish, just delaying the release until their schedule has more levels in the initial release. I’m really looking forward to this, even moreso than XCom 2 or DXMD.

9. Arkayjiya says:

Spreadsheet usually don’t impress me (like Blizzard trying to use the incredibly high growth factor of the “number of combinations” function…) but this one actually gives me some hope.
    Now as long as they realise than 1 huge interesting level lost in a ton of linear snoozefest ones is a dumb idea (talking to you absolution), even if the other levels are not that huge I’ll be very happy.

10. silentdan says:

Like pretty much everyone ever, I hold Blood Money in very high regard, and have played through it no fewer than four times. I played through it early last year, in fact, and I’m really glad that it was exactly the same as it was when I first bought it nearly a decade ago.

I think the live-event thing they’re going for (where some missions are only available for a few days) is well-intentioned, but the thought of it pisses me off. I want to decide when to play my games, without feeling like I’m missing out on something. Last weekend, I put like 20 hours into Mad Max (anyone who liked Interstate 76 should give MM a look) and I’m really glad that if I hadn’t done that, I would have missed out on nothing. If my weekend filled up with other commitments, I could have just gone and done other things, and missed nothing. All of last weekend’s content is still in the game, and isn’t going anywhere.

So, I’m going to pass on this Hitman for a little while, and buy it when it “settles.” When there’s no new stuff to add or remove, and I can just trust it not to pull any rugs out from underneath me, it’s a guaranteed sale. I’m a huge fan of the series, and while Absolution was disappointing, I actually really enjoyed … well, most of it. The nun stuff made me embarrassed for them, but that’s beside the point: when it’s the same offline as online, I’ll pick it up, and play the hell out of it.

11. NephilimNexus says:

What have the done to 47s face? It’s like they’re trying to make him look like Oliphant (barf).