Team Fortress TwoOoOO Crowdsourcing Halloween

G-g-g-ghoul!

Good news: Valve are working on a new “major update” for their free-to-play FPS Team Fortress 2 [official site]. Bad news: it’s not a Halloween update. This new update has left the TF2 team too busy to create another all-spooking, all-devilling spectraltacular (boo!) so they’re turning again to the community.

This year’s Halloween update will largely be pieced together from spooky maps, weapons, items, taunts, and so on submitted to TF2’s Steam Workshop.

Valve explained in a blog post last night:

“…the TF2 team is busy putting together the next major update, which should be out by the end of the year. It’ll feature new maps, cosmetics, and a new campaign with contracts and weapon collections. We’re also working on things like competitive matchmaking, perf, balance improvements and moving Mannpower Mode out of beta with a new map.

“Sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that there’s something missing from that list: Halloween. The reality is, if we produce a holiday-specific event map this year, it means we’ll have to stop working on everything else. So: We’ve decided to turn Halloween mostly over to you.”

They’ll check the Workshop for items tagged Halloween (check out the spooky maps and maps folks have submitted before) then bundle their favourites up, along with activating every previous Halloween event. Halloween cosmetics are usually restricted to TF2’s official Silly Days, but this year’s additions will be wearable all year round. The whole game’s about to get a bit more ghoulish, then.

It’s a shame they’re not doing a special event themselves – Halloween may be the only time I play TF2 now, I think, to check out the new spookiness – but community creators can be a pretty dang creative lot too. Valve have been sourcing maps and items for TF2 from fans for years – and it’s made some of those creators a pretty penny or two.

1. Kollega says:

Spooky scary free-to-play/
    Sends shivers down your spine/
    Salesman skulls will shock your souls/
    And seal your doom tonight…

2. wyrm4701 says:

This is really disappointing. After the blatant rip-off that was Gun Mettle*, the Hallowe’en event was the only thing I was looking forward to in TF2. It’s pretty crap that Valve can’t even be bothered with that, despite the usually good quality of the community contributions. Fanmade maps have been making money for years now, so it’s not like the absence of a Hallowe’en update is a special favour to the community.

* Oh, and the ducks. But that was clearly not worth money right from the start.

• Jalan says:

I bought the Gun Mettle coin but the duck journal I just couldn’t see any justification toward (and I still can’t – I’ve even see someone wearing one that has no stats on it, which makes me sad to know that someone wasted money just for the journal).

I don’t feel like the coin was a rip overall but I do feel like for the money spent they could have put a lesser focus on case drops through the contract system. I guess it wouldn’t be the current state of TF2 if it weren’t finding some way to stick it to its players.

• purex. says:

They can’t be bothered because they’re actually, finally, making improvements to the game itself.

3. Rinox says:

Pretty disappointed. :-( I love the Halloween updates, and was even thinking of taking a day or two off this year for it. Last year’s update was mildly disappointing (it wasn’t terrible, but I would have preferred if it stuck closer to the actual TF2 gameplay), but this really makes me sad. Oh well.

• ButteringSundays says:

“Pretty disappointed. :-( I love the Halloween updates, and was even thinking of taking a day or two off this year for it.”

This comment makes me sad on a few levels.

• Rinox says:

Not much going on in my life right now, and can scarcely afford a holiday. Not that I should have to justify my reasons. :P

4. Dances to Podcasts says:

“and a new campaign with contracts and weapon collections”

I hope they’ll have learned from this one and won’t give boxes (that you have to pay to open…) as contract rewards again. And improve on their quality control. One of the player made maps (Suijin) needed another design pass while the event was going…

• PineMaple says:

I made my money back within 2 weeks, if you just sell the boxes early on you’ll probably end up earning money off the pass.

• welverin says:

It took you two weeks? I sold the first case I got for more than the pass cost. So, net gain there.

The campaign has inspired me to play more than I normally do, which was often focused around events. So that worked out as well.

• Jalan says:

I wouldn’t expect this to change. Apparently someone has made the decision of “if it worked for CS:GO, it can work for TF2”.

Also agreed about the maps overall. The first time I played on Suijin half the textures didn’t load at all. I’m still paranoid that a bug like that is going to come back to haunt me with a VAC ban since without half the stuff loaded in it was impossible not to see where people were coming from. Even with that bug persisting I was still performing horribly but finished out the contract until time came for a map switch.

• welverin says:

Luckily I never had any kind of glitches with it, my problem with it originally as the fact that with a couple steps to the side you could see clear across the map and thus made it all to easy to be sniped from right outside your spawn.

• Jalan says:

I may have been lucky enough not to experience that (this was early on when the update went live and not a lot of people were playing the map) though I do recall one Sniper on Red using the Huntsman getting some spectacularly LUCKY shots (even more than usual for the weapon) before we were getting into any other member of his team’s view so that may explain it.

5. PineMaple says:

I’m fairly happy with this, seems like they’re focusing on content like matchmaking and balance/performance issues rather than adding more bloat and minigames.

6. SaintAn says:

After they tried to ruin PC gaming with payed mods they shouldn’t be supported.

• Jalan says:

Condemning them a bit too much I’d say. Not that I genuinely believe Valve as a whole can do no wrong (there’s plenty to suggest otherwise) but they’re also one of the few companies to actually own up to things when they make bad judgment calls (the paid mods incident, for example).