Dragon Age: Inquisition GotY Edition Coming In October

Well blow me down! BioWare are releasing a DLC-bundling Game of the Year Edition of one of their RPGs! It’s been a while since the last – long years of me grumbling about EA’s add-on pricing and decision to stop making easy ways to buy the whole thing.

The GotY Edition of Dragon Age: Inquisition [official site] is coming soon too, on October 6th. It’ll include the base game along with all its story DLC, its gubbins DLC, and the gubbins from its Deluxe Edition. EA haven’t stated a price, but I bet it’s cheaper than the – strewth! – £102.46 it currently costs individually.

As the announcement explains, the GotY Edition gets you Inqusition, its three story add-ons Jaws of Hakkon, The Descent, and Trespasser, and the weapons and mounts and armour and cosmetic bits of its Spoils of the Avvar, Spoils of the Qunari, and Deluxe Edition DLCs.

Inquisition’s DLC has been largely lacklustre, I’ve heard, but coming to the game late (when it came out, I was deep into… another game? I forget) I’ll probably still want to get the whole shebang. Well, unless EA also reduce the price of the base game enough that paying a load of so-so DLC seems silly.

BioWare say the GotY will cost $59.99 in the US but aren’t giving out pricing for other regions yet. If they go by their usual conversion rates, that’d be £49.99 over here. No, they will not sell a GotY upgrade for folks who bought it before.

Now if they could finally do this for Mass Effect 3, I’d be very happy to rebuy it and get all those DLC packs on the cheap.

1. razgon says:

By all accounts, both Trespasser and the Jaws DLC are both decent, while Trespasser should be rather good.

• Lakshmi says:

I only played Trespasser, but it was good & tied into the main story rather well.

I understand the other two were fun, but more combat less story. Depends what you want from the DLC I guess.

• welverin says:

I’ve only played Jaws of Hakkon so far, to caught in MGSV for the other two at the moment, but I liked. It is just another large area to explore, so if you want another high level area to wander about it’s worth picking up, if you don’t you’d probably find it a waste.

• Turkey says:

I’m guessing the Trespasser DLC adds weird flailing arms to your character, a chest tattoo that monitors your health, and the ability to stab yourself with your own sword.

2. Wulfram says:

The last DLC isn’t lackluster, it’s great. Or at least it’s made me and the sort of people who hang out on the Bioware forums happy. And the Bioware forums aren’t really known for giving Bioware stuff an easy ride.

Though it’s mostly welcomed because its not doing the whole open world thing, and instead being the more traditionally Biowarey linear-but-with-choices story and lore heavy type thing that the more committed Bioware fans like.

The DLC does have some pretty bad bugs involving importing your choices from the main game that you should probably wait to be fixed, though.

3. Deano2099 says:

Trespasser is great, a solid epilogue to the story that gives character moments and ties up the loose plot threads.

Jaws of Hakkon gets a hard time as it’s “just another open world area” and there are already 10 or so of them. But it’s worth noting that, were it included in the original game, people would probably be calling it the *best* area. It has a really strong plot tying it together, unlike most of the base-game areas.

4. Morte66 says:

Will it be on Steam, I wonders?

• welverin says:

It is actually possible, whether EA would bother at this point is another matter.

• Dread Quixadhal says:

EA hasn’t allowed any of their games on Steam since they shoved Origin out of beta. And that’s why I haven’t purchased any EA games since the original Dragon Age: Origins, or SWTOR… both of which work just fine without that monstrosity.

When they finally decide that their steam-clone isn’t actually helping them make money, perhaps I’ll pick this up. :)

• mattevansc3 says:

Actually they have put games on Steam. It’s Valve’s DLC policy about requiring all games also selling their DLC on Steam (giving Valve a 30% cut) that keeps the standard editions off and why EA only puts on GOTY editions.

gritz says:

EA sucks and everything, but Origin really isn’t so bad. In fact, their customer support is light years better than Valve’s.

If you’re already dealing with a collection spanning Steam, GOG, Humble and Uplay, what’s the difference?

Plus, they give away free games every now and then.

• Emeraude says:

One more needless bloatware to deal with ?

• Nereus says:

I can’t speak for the commenter you are replying to, but I don’t use Uplay or Humble. Nor Origin. If it doesn’t run via Steam or GOG I ignore it, barring very special cases like Minecraft. It should be noted I have plenty of DRM free games via Humble, but I don’t bother with them. I buy them for the Steam keys, so I just launch through Steam any games owned there.

I do use humble for my android games though, largely because they blow the playstore out of the water in terms of functionality and organisation.

• silentdan says:

Seconded. I’ll never install Origin. It’s been around for a while, and if I haven’t been persuaded yet, then it’s just never going to happen. But I will buy DA:I if it makes its way to Steam. Ditto for ME3. I mean, I buy a AAA game almost every single month, and they can have my business back anytime. Just distribute via GoG or Steam. Whatever they’re losing on the unit price will be more than recouped in volume.

• pfooti says:

For what it’s worth, there are only three installer / allinone things I use: Steam, GoG, and the Blizzard Launcher. I use the Blizzard one because they sneaked it in to my world of warcraft launcher way back in the day and despite only using it for launching diablo once in a while, I thought I’d mention it for completeness.

I haven’t bought or played Mass Effect 3 nor DA:I. I won’t buy these games unless I can install them via steam or gog, or maybe just as standalone – I could manage standalone. But I’m not installing origin to play these games. I didn’t do the humble ubisoft bundle, because: origin no thanks. So, FWIW, there’s ten quid they could totally have if they relaxed a little.

5. welverin says:

In regards to Bioware not releasing any GotY editions in a long time: retailers have to be willing to sell them, in order for them to justify even making them.

I read some time back that they wanted or at least discussed making a collection for DA2, but no one was interested in selling it, so they didn’t bother.

I would have thought ME2 and likely ME3 sold well enough for it, but maybe not. Especially a year or two later.

• mattevansc3 says:

They did release a bundle for DA2…it was called DA2. Other than the pre-order and deluxe edition content DA2 had no DLC.

• Wulfram says:

DA2 had 2 DLC, Legacy and Mark of the Assassin. And also a bunch of “item packs”

That’s not counting “The Exiled Prince” the day 1 DLC which was effectively a pre-order bonus.

• mattevansc3 says:

…well…umm…ahhh… *goes sits in corner and puts on a lovely cone hat with a big D on it*

• malkav11 says:

And one of those DA2 DLCs – I think Legacy – plays a huge role in the storyline of Inquisition.

• Janichsan says:

Doesn’t the Mass Effect Trilogy collection contain all DLC?

• malkav11 says:

Nope. I think it includes what you would get in the “deluxe” versions, which is like one or two basic pieces of DLC. There is no way to get the majority of the DLC for the later two Mass Effect games other than paying full launch price for each individual piece.

• Wulfram says:

No. On PC it includes the ME1 DLC, like all copies of ME1 do nowadays if you put your key into Origin. And it includes the free Cerberus Network stuff (Zaeed etc) for ME2. But not the rest.

(PS3 version seems to have the ME2 story DLC)

phuzz says:

Nope, the Mass Effect Trilogy doesn’t include all the DLC, it’s missing some of the story DLC from ME2 and 3.
        You could buy all the DLC separately, but you’ll need about £100 worth of Bioware points.
        As ever, screw you Bioware and your never reducing the price of DLC.

6. Turkey says:

Guess I wasn’t paying attention last year, but I didn’t even know it had won any GOTY awards.

• Wulfram says:

It won lots, certainly more than any other game that year.

Uncharitable people suggest that this was down to lack of competition.

7. malkav11 says:

Of course they won’t do an upgrade for people who already own the game. That would be like respecting their most dedicated customers, and their DLC policies to date have been the exact opposite.

• malkav11 says:

That said, at least a GOTY edition will probably go on sale.

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

GOTY snigger
    If this is GOTY then so is The Flock

9. Nereus says:

When did people start hating this? All I heard when it released was positive reception. Some extremely positive, including from RPS. I enjoyed the game, it wasn’t anything phenomenal, it was a standard bioware game. But it certainly wasn’t a bad game. I could listen to Iron Bull/Freddie Prinze Jr for days.

10. Deviija says:

Trespasser is amazing and well worth the playthrough, as it gives a lot more closure to the main game, and answers quite a few questions.

11. icarussc says:

Yay! I had the exact same reaction as Alice; “Good news, now also ME3, please!”

12. malkav11 says:

By the way, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to blame EA for Bioware’s DLC handling. I can’t think of another EA game where the DLC never goes down in price, never goes on sale, never gets bundled with the game, and charges you a weird proprietary currency instead of real dollars. Only Bioware DLC. It’s true that, IIRC, EA took over right after they did Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and they haven’t bundled any DLC since. But that’s really the only sign of any possible interference from EA.

13. Mr_Blastman says:

These days it makes no sense to buy a game at release because of all the “margin enhancement addons” aka unfinished content tack-ons otherwise known as DLC.

Wait and buy the GOTY edition months or years later.