Fallout 4 Continues To Explain Skills You Already Know

We’ve already seen two videos faux-whimsically explaining skills from Fallout 4‘s [official site] returning S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system, and I’d be lying if I said the idea of posting one more a week for the next five weeks sounds like a wonderful way of whiling away the working day. But people do love a bit of Vault Boy, and given that Bethesda are still keeping their cards fairly close to their chests on Fallout 4, these are a chance to fish for a little more info on the post-apocalpytic RPG. This time, it’s Endurance, and how not to die horribly.

You probably know the drill – it’s hitpoints and radiation resistance, essentially, but we get some cutely dark animations to explain the concept. Beheadings, cannibalism and death races all feature, but sadly we don’t get to see what any of these will look like in the game proper. I’m not sure any of the things mentioned are new-new, but any confirmation of a returning thing is probably good news.

Fallout 4 is due on November 10th, with modding tools to follow next year.

1. Hunchback says:

These are so great, and they are subtly pumping me up for Fallout 4, without any particular HYPE…
    Good marketing for once !

2. mrentropy says:

Why not just enjoy them for what they are?

• slerbal says:

Nothing wrong with enjoying them, though I don’t think game sites need to slavishly report each and every one – feels like they would be dancing Bethesda’s marketing jig. The drip-drip-drip of the videos feels like kind of lazy promotion (that’s not a comment on the work gone into the videos themselves).

In my own case I was somewhat interested in Fallout 4 but these videos are actually putting me off. They remind me why I don’t really play AAA games any more: I just don’t find most of them very enjoyable.

• thetruegentleman says:

Personally, I like knowing when the videos are out without having to slavishly check YouTube or the Fallout website, neither of which I use daily.

So…agree to disagree?

3. WHS says:

I loved Fallout, I loved Fallout 2, I enjoyed Fallout 3, and I’m currently in the middle of loving New Vegas, but man, Bethesda continuing to milk the exact same Vault Boy 50s-cartoon-plus-gruesome-apocalypse schtick that was first introduced in 1997 pretty much sums up the triple-A gaming in 2015.

What a depressing trajectory, from “This is something clever and new” to “Watch us precisely target that same old aesthetic.”

• Hunchback says:

Well, i am all for evolution and shit, but to be honest i really like this particular style and if it’s not broken don’t repair it and yeah, stop bitching. War, War Never Changes! (why should cartoons?)

• tomimt says:

Well it is a nice piece of aesthetics, the whole 50’s that never was but how it was once dreamt. As a setting it does trump over most generic fantasy settings.

• darkath says:

A part from the “fallout” name. The vault boy is probably the greatest asset they acquired from the ashes of interplay. It’s an instantly recognizable and fun mascot.

The sad thing is that it’s no longer in the hands of the man who created it (now working at obsidian i believe)

Fallout without the vault boy is basically Wasteland.

• gabrielonuris says:

I feel you; I’ve had that same sensation when I first watched the first F4 trailer: it tries to look exactly like F1 intro (I strongly recommend you watch it on YouTube if you don’t know what I mean).

For me, it’s going from “something clever and new” to “hey, look, we’re soooo oldschool now that we actually watched F1 intro and did the same”.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Every Fallout intro except for 2 has involved zooming out from a thing while 50s music plays. There’s only a limited number of things you could zoom out from so it’s not really surprising that they have a repeat.

• Xzi says:

I’d say it’s more a part of the Fallout brand than it is part of the 90s. Of course they’re going to keep using it. People like Fallout as much for the brand as they do for the games themselves.

teije says:

Sure, its a tired gimmick but I still enjoy it and find it amusing. Spoken as someone who played the original Fallout when it came out.

4. ryanrybot says:

Is it just me or did they just hint that food and water will actually affect your well-being? If so, I hope Bethesda put more thought into it than was put into New Vegas’ food/water mechanic.

• darkath says:

They just seem to recover HPs to me…

• Awesomeclaw says:

The NV hardcore mechanics were bad. Ammo having weight was kind of interesting but there was enough food and water around that you never really had to look far for it, instead it was just annoying to be prompted every so often that you needed some.

5. DaedricShadow says:

Those videos aren’t supposed to give information about the game. They’re supposed to be funny and whimsical, so just enjoy the humour. I don’t know why you don’t like the videos, but I can safely say that it can be nice to get a break from all the updates on what the game will include. I say we wait patiently and quietly until the game releases and find out for ourselves what the game has to offer.

• Crusoe says:

Agreed, personally the last thing I want is to be drip fed a few new details about the game each week.

Let us go in and be surprised about a few things. I’d rather have vids like this than, for example, the dozens of gameplay trailers that often precede big releases. Mass Effect 2, anyone?

6. Darth Gangrel says:

It’s E for Endurance? Seeing that picture up there made me think it was E for Ewww.

7. Risingson says:

Just a comment about Fallout 3 that I think I didn’t write before: what I love about it, unlike the rest of the other (very cynical) games, is that it has some links to David Brin’s “The postman” in having you, the hero, rebuild the world with the pop culture references (the music sheets, the radio station). There is no “everyone has interests” thing there: you are just a good character, a hero. I felt horrible in New Vegas seeing how whatever I did in the game, someone nice had to die. Same as Bioware. The game killing people and telling you it’s your fault for being nice. :(

• Risingson says:

Also: whatever bugs the games have, they will not be worse that the game breaking bug in Fallout 1 that is unpatched even in the GOG version of the game. And I know that because I suffered it and I got really angry that no one in the whole internet warned you, in their reviews, that you should keep a very tiny inventory.

• namad says:

for all such concerns see nma-fallout

• Stevostin says:

Well there is quite a difference betwen the Fallout 1 of Myth and the actual Fallout. Fallout was a pretty good RPG in its time, but clearly not in the league of Ultimas for instance. And it was indeed not keeping its promises. You could easily get the game completely fail to acknowledge some of the big choices if you had made them in the wrong order.

OTOH Fallout 3 is handling way more complexity with only minor bugs – likely more than any other RPGs. Nearly all quest have several ways to solve them and several possible outcomes. They work in all possible orders, including when some of them have strong impact on the map.

• namad says:

nma-fallout has patches for that problem though, that’s what i meant when i said see that website.

• Emeraude says:

That’s fair enough, but that’s really one of the thing I didn’t like about FO3, tonally inconsistent with the previous games.

Oh, well, old debate not worth having.

• Risingson says:

Well, that’s very unfair to say, when every time a Fallout post is on RPS you read the same “Bethesda’s view on Fallout is crap”, as it was canon.

• namad says:

even bethseda indicate that the world building from the east coast is not intended to be consistent with the world building from the west coast. basically an admission that their canon isn’t universally true.

• LennyLeonardo says:

It’s tonally different, but then it’s a different game. It’s like saying that Aliens is tonally inconsistent with Alien. It’s a different film, and I’m happy it’s different.

• Emeraude says:

And I will say it about Alien(s).

The saving grace is that I find Aliens to be a good movie in spite of that jarring change while I have little love for FO3 and personally find it a failure.

8. 2late2die says:

sadly we don’t get to see what any of these will look like in the game proper

Alec, are you saying you want to see gameplay videos? I actually find this type of marketing refreshing. It still keeps me plenty hyped for the game, but it does so without spoiling anything. It’ll be nice to start the game and not already know exactly where I’ll be heading, what’s the first quest will be and what weapon is the best :)

9. Zenicetus says:

Count me in with those who prefer this marketing approach to in-game teaser footage.

These S.P.E.C.I.A.L. videos are telling us that there aren’t any major changes to the Fallout 3/New Vegas game mechanics. So that leaves plot, setting, and companions, which I’d rather not know about until I experience it first-hand.

The only thing I’ll be interested in is spoiler-free reports on how stable it is on release… whether to buy soon, or wait for some patching. And yeah, I know Bethesda’s reputation, but I’m hoping developers might be tightening up their act after the recent Batman fiasco, and in consideration of Steam’s new return policy.

• Horg says:

Considering the time required to pass through the intro cut scenes, character creation, and the probability of an on rails tutorial similar to Fallout 3s baby sequence, you could easily pass the 2 hour refund cut off before getting into the game proper. I think I spend at least an hour just doing the character face whenever I start up a Bethesda game.

• Zenicetus says:

True, this kind of project does have some built-in immunity to refunds, since it usually takes so long to get into the actual flow of the game. Steam will sometimes bend the refund rules for a true stinker like X Rebirth, but that won’t be the case here (we hope).

• silentdan says:

X-Rebirth and GTA: IV (the only two AAA examples I can recall, prior to the recent overhaul of the refund policy) were truly broken at launch, and I doubt Fallout 4 will suffer that fate. However, the 2-hour cutoff is not for any and all refunds, it’s for no-questions-asked fully automated refunds. If you get to the meat of the game at the 8-hour mark, you’ll have to speak to a customer service rep to get your refund, but there’s still a very high likelihood that you’ll receive it.

10. vlonk says:

This kind of marketing is nice world building stuff. Look here we have an aesthetic, we have a tone, we have mechanics and we have strange crab monsters and mutants and canibalism and aint it cute :)
    I like this approach because it awakens real nostalgia for the Fallout Universe games of the past.

11. namad says:

Dear alec meer you’re confusing statistics(stats) with skills. Skills are not statistics.

I know that fallout 4 might be about to remove skills from the game entirely, but that’s no reason to start calling attributes/statistics/special “skills” now…

• Stevostin says:

Clearly it’s not. You missed the bit where they explain now athletics needs special condition (aka danger) to improve. Beside they clearly stated Skills are not going anywhere.

• namad says:

that only makes his error in the title of this article worse, not better!

12. AngusPrune says:

Don’t I remember RPS swearing off posting game trailers that don’t include any actual gameplay a while back?

• Zenicetus says:

I’d cut these some slack, because they’re not just empty stylistic teasers. They’re showing that the game mechanics will change very little from the previous titles, without spoiling any setting or plot details.

We’ll probably see one or two more in-engine cinematic trailers before the game is released, like the one out already with the dog and the flashback scenes. That isn’t actual gameplay either, but it’s enough to get a sense of the graphics.

13. Enkinan says:

These videos are fantastic. The art and feel are perfect, and it also give hints of minor changes to the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system as well as new perks upcoming for the new game.

I feel like there are a lot of people on here trying to look for anything negative against a larger company. Bethesda has been at the helm for a long time now and they haven’t fucked up the series.

14. Noam Beefheart says:

Advertising…advertising never changes.

15. Stevostin says:

I don’t get how the key info here doesn’t make more noise:

Hunger and thirst management.

I repeat.

Hunger and thirst management.

It was something wanted by many in Fallout as well as TES and so far it was only handled by mods. Which was kind of not working well because you need more than a depleting bar or two to do that well ; the games were simply not designed for this, finding stuff to eat and drink was never an issue and in practice there was little to be done except reduce backpack capabilities to handle food. But if this is in vanillia, it means a deep change in the gameplay with survival management. In hard mode it can change the game drastically for the best. I am excited.

• Distec says:

That’s actually the kind of thing I’d rather get left for mods. I know there’s always been a segment of the fanbase that yearns for more of this, but I don’t personally require it in order to be immersed in the world. Really, I’m fine with the Fallout series being an RPG in Wasteland Survival clothing.

A few flavorings here and there is okay, I guess. But I really don’t want to be fucking about with hydration and cans of beans as a regular component of gameplay.

• Amstrad says:

I think interpreting the mention of food and water to mean hunger and thirst mechanics is taking things a bit far. Fallout 3 had food and water items and they were purely HP restoring alternatives to Stimpacks. Seeing as HP is tied to Endurance I see no reason that they’d be changing that mechanic.
      On the other hand the fact that they’re apparently adapting so many features added by New Vegas and the various mods for both games I wouldn’t be entirely surprised to see a NV style Hardcore mode.

• Coming Second says:

There’s no way they’ll add a thirst/hunger mechanic that’s anything like FNV’s take on it. It would be too frustrating to the average joe, and FNV’s system wasn’t particularly well received anyway. At best they’ll include it in a Hardcore mode, and I wouldn’t expect even that.

16. lubnius says:

New Fallout for the new generation?

17. NephilimNexus says:

Yet another game footage video that doesn’t show any game play.

Bethesda has officially become a burlesque dancer.

Somehow, I’m OK with this. Tease away, Bethesda.

18. gunslingerfry says:

I can wait for Nov 10! 2016! As soon as this is released I will be waiting patiently for the goty edition which will cost less, have fewer bugs and have all the costly dlc.