Batman: Arkham Knight Maybe Back Out In A Few Weeks

“Coo-ee! Is that the Batcar from the Batfilms?” you might wonder. “That’ll be more Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] DLC, I’m sure,” you’ll intuit, and I’ll be both impressed and a bit weirded out by your adherence to RPS formatting. “But what does this matter to us when the game still isn’t back on sale on PC?” I’m glad you asked!

The announcement of yet more Batknight DLC has also brought the clearest indication we’ve had of when the game’s performance woes will be fixed and it’ll be released again: “in the coming weeks.”

That still-vague mention comes from the press release detailing all this new Batstuff. Maybe we’ll learn more if I quote the full and complete section about BatPC: “The PC version of the game will be available in the coming weeks.” Maybe not.

Batman: Arkham Knight was a shambles at launch back in June, enough that Warner Bros. pulled the game from sale. They should’ve never released the game in that state at all but hey, we can’t turn back time (we can’t find a way) so that’ll have to do. At least the game worked well for some folks who’d bought it, and a few patches released since then have helped others too. Presumably we’re now one big patch and a whole lot of testing away from the game being re-released.

Oh, that DLC? Yeah, you get to drive the Tumbler (which is itself quite popular on Tumblr, where folks do adore expensive black angular lumps of technology) on two levels inspired by the movie, including That Car Chase. Well, you will when the DLC comes to PC – Warner Bros. haven’t released any of it while the game’s in this weird limbo. Here’s a vid of the Tumblr and some other upcoming DLC:

1. bobiroka says:

I’ve been playing it with the patch that was released earlier this month and can report that it’s definitely working better than it was. At least, the frame-rate hitches aren’t occuring at crucial moments, only when reaching the top of a building or calling the batmobile usually. So it’s not perfect, but tolerable and certainly not unplayable.

I have some video evidence here if you fancy a gander: link to youtu.be

• orbit_l says:

I too have played this game since release (it came with my GTX 970) with only very occasional hickups. I think it (only?) crashed twice over the course of the story, and there were a few instances of dropping frame rate. My lasting impression is that of a very worthy capstone to a very enjoyable trilogy.

2. subedii says:

Considering they charged the cost of an entire separate game for it, what I’m hearing that the DLC’s been relatively lackluster so far.

• fish99 says:

Nothing forcing you to pay that price though, I’ve seen the season pass under £10, same with the game itself.

Based on what I saw playing this a few days ago, it’s more or less fixed.

3. kud13 says:

None of that DLC looks anything special.

Sticking with “wait till GOTY edition’s in a Steam Sale” with this one (although I’ve enjoyed the previous Arkham games, I’ve got too much of a backlog to indulge a broken game).

4. kevmscotland says:

I know there is no doubt going to be a swathe of people that disagree but even once the performance issues are fixed, the underlaying game underneath just isn’t good anyway.

No challenge maps, lots of bat tank which in itself isn’t all that fun to use. The previous games bosses are now side missions and the new bosses are frankly rubbish.

Overall high on my “most disappointing games” list.

• Xzi says:

I can understand if it’s disappointing to you, but disappointing for not being the same game as Arkham City? That seems a bit silly. Don’t people mostly dislike the new AssCreed games and Far Cry games because they do play too similarly to their prequels?

5. Jay Load says:

Yeah….maybe a future GOTY purchase in a Steam Sale around 2017…I do like me a bit of Nightwing.

6. death_au says:

Damn you. Damn you for putting that song in my head.
    I was considering making a bat-related comment, but now I can’t get the song out of my head and it’s all your fault.

• Jason Moyer says:

Maybe if you’re nice, Alice will take back those words that hurt you.

• death_au says:

Why did I come back to check replies?
        I find your comment amusing, and I did laugh, but now the song’s lodged itself even further.
        If only I could turn back time…