Abe’s Oddysee Is Free For The Next Half Hour Go Go Go

Excuse the rapidly-written post, but I only just noticed this and, at the time of writing, there are only thirty Earth minutes until the offer expires. 1997 platformer, and first game in the ongoing Oddworld series, Abe’s Oddysee is currently free on Steam. But not just in a free weekend sort of way – add it before 6pm UK time / 10am Pacific today and you get to keep it forever.

Abe’s Oddysee isn’t to be confused with recent semi-remake Oddworld: New’n’Tasty, although both are the same games at heart. I guess the idea is that if you like what you get for no-pennies here, you might think about buying the new one, or the various others in between. They’re all currently reduced by 75%, with the exception of New’n’Tasty, which is 50% off. An ‘Oddboxx‘ containing all of them bar New’n’Tasty is a mere £2.50 until the offer expires in just over 24 hours’ time.

I can’t help you with that decision – I haven’t played most of them because I’m not a platformer man, but I know they have their fans.

Anyway, hurry?

1. SMGreer says:

Abe’s Oddysee is simply one of the best games ever made. If it’s free, there’s no reason to not get it if you’re up for something rich and imaginative.

• grrrz says:

I remember it also as incredibly difficult and never seeing the end because of this, but maybe I was a bit young.

2. Ben King says:

Yaaaaaay, this was one of the first games I played on the ps1. Really nice puzzles until it required ninja moves on the controller later on as the game advanced. I have no ninja moves even now:-(

• Ben King says:

I just realized my comment was pure nostalgia which I really kind of despise personally but I am genuinely grateful for the chance to play through some of those levels and experienced this world some more… For free.

3. Urthman says:

Thanks, Alec! Got it with 9 minutes to spare.

4. melnificent says:

If you can read this you’re too late.

5. grimdanfango says:

I’d suggest anyone interested go sink some monies into Oddworld New’n’Tasty! One of the most beautiful and fantastic remakes I’ve seen – it sands off a few of the originals more infuriatingly unfair corners while generally feeling incredibly faithful at the same time. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Bugamn says:

I suggest to be careful before playing the new game, because the experience isn’t the same. I can’t find now the video that I watched, but from what I saw some things were lost in the translation. For example, the anti possession things. Before they would activate if they were on screen and you tried to possess. Now, since there aren’t screen transitions anymore, their range isn’t as clear. The laser sensors were exchanged by gates, which mean that now they can’t cross over each other anymore.
      And I personally don’t find the new art that beautiful compared to the original.

6. Prolar Bear says:

Hi.

7. stoner says:

Oh man, I missed it! Now, I gotta pay 74 cents. 74 cents! I can either buy the game or formula for the baby. What to do…

zapatapon says:

Can’t believe I missed it! Wait it was already in my library, never mind