Do The Twin Peaks Twist In Fire Dance With Me

What if David Lynch made a video game? As a fan of the artist, I’ve listened to his music, heard him talk, looked at his paintings, studied his quinoa technique, and examined his plans for a bungalow, yet I honestly couldn’t say. I do, however, feel confident telling you that it would probably not be like Fire Dance With Me [official site].

Fire Dance With Me is a delightfully silly free rhythm game combining Twin Peaks and that other ’90s classic: eurobeat remixes. This Friday night, slip on your saddle shoes, roll out your dance mats, and boogy down with poor old Leland Palmer.

Heaven help me, that DDR-y remix of Julee Cruise’s song Falling tapped into something that’s lay dormant since my teenage years in the arcades. Now I’m listening to this. I almost wish I had dance mats so I didn’t have to tap away on my keyboard, as I’m really ruining Audrey’s moves. You and your pal – it’s a two-player game – can also play as Dale Cooper, The Man from Another Place, and the log.

You can play in your browser or download it for a pleasing spot of silliness on a Friday afternoon.

Creators Robert Gaither and Anja Luzega made Fire Dance With Me for Fantastic Arcade’s Duplicade, a game jam for 30-second two-player games that “must tread dangerously into the intellectual property of an existing game or game franchise.” They’re all to be loaded up for two players to battle each other and figure out what’s been ripped off.

Oh, actually, now that I’ve reached the end of the post, maybe I will return to that grumbly opening paragraph. I’m often frustrated when I hear “it’s like if David Lynch made a video game” about Deadly Premonition or surreal games. It seems like pointless excitement over surface details, missing what both David Lynch and video games are up to. I really like David Lynch, you guys, and I really like Deadly Premonition – but not because I think it’s anything like anything David Lynch would make.

1. Fiyenyaa says:

I so don’t get Twin Peaks. I watched it all recently because I love Idle Thumbs and wanted to listen to their recap podcast about Twin Peaks, and was completely bewildered. Twin Peaks seems to veer between a bad soap opera and a bad police drama with some utterly insane non-sequitur surrealism inbetween.
    Now granted, I am not a person who appreciates symbolism and I tend to look at things pretty much at face value most of the time – but I have no idea how Twin Peaks became so revered. Maybe I’m just dim?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

You didn’t mention the humor, so I’m guessing it didn’t work for you. Yeah. Twin Peaks is all about the brilliant comedy. If you take it seriously or you miss the satire/jokes/etc, I can see how it would be pretty boring.

• Fiyenyaa says:

Yeah, the humour most definately didn’t work for me. I felt like every time I was laughing I was laughing at it and not with it – although maybe that is me giving less credit than it deserves.

• OctoStepdad says:

I think the big reason Twin Peaks has the cult following is because of how crazy the show was for it’s time. I just took a look at the other schedules of network tv

(link to en.wikipedia.org)

and you can see how different Twin Peaks was compared to The Wonder Years, The Flash, etc..

I just watched it for the first time this past spring and I really like the show but some episodes were real slow/dry. If Twin Peaks were a mini series contained to the first season, it probably would be regarded as one of the best shows of all time.

• Vandelay says:

It is worth remembering that Twin Peaks infamously suffered from network interference. The network insisted on the Laura Palmer murderer being revealed sooner rather than later, which is why much of season 2 is so meandering.

Still, I enjoyed some of season 2 and don’t think it is as bad as some people claim, once you get past the slump immediately post the big reveal. There are parts I find abysmal (Nadine’s return to high school and James’s Motorcycle Diaries spring to mind,) but I was entertained by a lot still. The final episode is also one of the most spectacular and atmospheric TV you will ever see.

If anyone hasn’t seen it or dismissed it at the time, I highly recommend checking out Fire Walk With Me. That 90s trilogy of Lynch films (Mulholland Drive, FWWM and Lost Highway,) are some of the finest film making you will ever see.

• GameCat says:

“If anyone hasn’t seen it or dismissed it at the time, I highly recommend checking out Fire Walk With Me. ”

Noooooooo don’t do that!
          The only way to watch it is Twin Peaks TV series -> TP: Fire Walk With Me.
          FWWM reveals the killer and it can make watching regular Twin Peaks slightly worse.

• Distec says:

It’s also so much darker and graphic. Twin Peaks the TV series had a friendly, soap opera quality that hinted and implied its darker undercurrents and activities. The film puts that darkness front and center and does away with a lot of the cheer. After all, you are watching the events leading up to the murder of a young girl.

I guess that’s why some fans of the show hated the movie. But I liked the contrast.

• Vandelay says:

Definitely watch Twin Peaks first! The film got massively derided at release though, ridiculed at Cannes by critics and hated by fans. It is a film that really, really deserves reassessment, which seems to have happened amongst many critics nowadays, as may hold it up as one of the greats of that decade. It is probably best to watch it not expecting a film version of the TV series, as much of the light hearted quirkiness and twisted soap opera vibe has gone, instead replaced with a tone much more like Lynch’s other films released during that time period, but definitely still watch the TV series first! I’m certainly not suggesting to watch them the other way around.

Unfortunately, I accidentally stumbled on who the killer was when I was trying to find out when the second season would finally be released on DVD, something that took years and years to happen. Still a fantastic moment of television, but the impact was definitely dampened somewhat.

The new series coming in 2017 really can’t come soon enough.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

*puts blue flower in lapel, makes frowny face*

• Kala says:

It’s a bit difficult to explain why you liked something when someone else obviously didn’t like it for those reasons (or they would’ve liked it!). :p So apologies if I prattle.

But, personally – what you describe, the bad opera and bad police drama – is intentional, I think. That’s say, your things like Dallas being riffed on. Then the surreal non sequiturs are showing what’s going on underneath that, so there’s a subversion and satire (of what’s presented being “reality” if you like).

The humour (and warmth) is all in the little details of the strangeness of these people (the log lady!) – as is seeing the town through our “straight guy”, Agent Cooper (who turns out to be utterly eccentric himself) – who exclaims finding the pine trees and the (damn fine) cherry pie and all the topography of this small town and it’s inhabitants absurdly delightful – to the annoyance of those to whom these things are just normal.

…Which is really what Twin Peaks is about, I think. It’s not really about Who Killed Laura Palmer, it’s all about the character (and characters) of this small remote town and their interweaving lives and secret inner-lives of the inhabitants; which is often simultaneously very funny and disturbing.

(Not to mention as a mood piece – from the start with the title music you get the sense of strangeness, foreboding and a kind of wistful beauty, which I think you’re also getting from the landscape/setting, reinforced by the weirdness of the themes)

2. CutieKnucklePie says:

Lynch actually did put forward an idea for a game a long time ago, it was called “Woodcutters from Fiery Ships” :

“David Lynch was to team with anime producer Bandai and two Japanese partners to produce a digital adventure to be released on DVD-ROM, the Internet, and in novelization form. The project was tentatively entitled “Woodcutters From Fiery Ships”.

Unfortunately, the project never came about. Lynch says it was “blocked from the get-go.” The game was going to be a “conundrum thing.. a beautiful kind of place to put yourself. You try to make a little bit of mystery and a bit of a story, but you want it to be able to bend back upon itself and get lost … Ceratin events have happened in a bungalow which is behind another in Los Angeles. And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is… uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship, and the fuel is logs. And they smoke pipes.”

link to lynchnet.com

3. CutieKnucklePie says:

Also, that is a cool remix.

4. shagen454 says:

Every time I smoke DMT – it’s like the intellect of the Universe is a David Lynch film x 1,000,000,000

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I found this on YouTube yesterday as well: